Encumbrance

Crypt

Here is a faster way to compute encumbrance.

Instead of using % you may take benefits of the logarithmic scale of STR.

Find the STR value of the weight you're carrying.

If the weight is equals or less than your STR-17 this is the same as the >=10% line.

If the weight is between STR-17 and STR -10 this is the same as the 10-24% line, ETC.... =>

Character STR - Weight STR =

>=17 : use the >=10% line

17 to 10 : use the 10%-24% line

10 to 5: use the 25%-49% line

5 to 2 : use the 50%-74% line

2 to 1: use the 75%-89% line

1 to 0: use the 90% to 100% line

For instance a STR 54 (LCap=44572kg) character carries 9700kg (STR 43.)

54-43 = 11

11 is between 17 and 10=======> so you use the 10%-24% line

Encumbrance steps of this character are=

>=STR37 : >=10% line

STR37 to 44 : 10%-24% line

STR44 to 49: 25%-49% line

STR49 to 52 : 50%-74% line

STR52 to 53: 75%-89% line

STR53 to 54: 90% to 100% line

Another example:

A STR 17 character carrying 115kg (STR 11) ===> 17-11 = 6 so he uses the 25%-49% line

If he's carrying 174kg (STR 14)======> 17-14 = 3 so he uses the 50%-74% line

ETC.......

PS:

Just for information the actual values are

>=STR-16.61

STR-16.61 to STR-10.29

STR-10 to STR-5.15

STR-5 to STR-2.17

STR-2.08 to STR-0.84

STR-0.76 to STR

Re: EncumbranceIf you want to experiment with % of your own you may use this PHP code ==>EDIT=You may also directly test other % here:http://cryptmaster.free.fr/HERO/exp/

<?phpfunction racine($nbr, $racine){return pow ((float)$nbr, (1/$racine));}function r($ix){ return round($ix,2);}function getR($v){return r(log($v/25,racine(2,5)));}function getV($r){return r((25*(pow(racine(2,5),$r))));}function getP($v,$p){return $v*$p/100;}echo'';echo'%:';echo'';echo'';echo ($_POST['pour'])?('Result:STR '.getR(getP(getV(0),$_POST['pour']))):'';for($i=-30; $i<=100; $i+=5){	echo ($_POST['pour'])?(	'
Example: a STR '.$i.' ('.getV($i).' kg) character would carries '.$_POST['pour'].'% of his max. lifting cap. if he carries STR '.	($i+(getR(getP(getV(0),$_POST['pour'])))).' ('.getV(($i+(getR(getP(getV(0),$_POST['pour']))))).' kg)'):'';}?>

Re: Encumbrance

I usually find the character's max lift when the character is built and write it down on the character sheet, so calculating a percent of that is a lot easier than looking up or calculating the required Str for each new value of carried weight. Good mathematical thinking though. Always good to brainstorm, even if it won't always save effort in practice.

I usually find the character's max lift when the character is built and write it down on the character sheet

i'm from the "not too much informations on the character sheet" school ;)

but i understand your point of view.

• 2 months later...

I've been trying to make the encumbrance rules a little more streamlined, also. Here's the system I use. It's simple, but it works well for me:

1. Find the character's casual STR. When using casual STR, there are no penalties and there is no END cost.

2. Determine the STR requred to lift the character's total load, and figure out where it falls relative to the character's casual STR. For every +5 STR used above casual STR, the character incurrs the following penalties:

a. END Cost: 2 END / phase.

b. CV penalty: -1 (OCV and DCV).

c. Skill penalty: -1 to all DEX-based skills.

The END cost is just an interpolated re-introduction of END cost between 0 END cost at Casual STR, and full END cost at full STR.

There is no limit on move, as such - the END consumption for STR (by the phase!) together with the END consumption of movement limits movement rates nicely. Using END consumption to limit movement also dovetails nicely with the LTE rules.

:D

An interesting side-effect: Characters with High STR and low DEX can readily load themselves down to the point where they can still move, but the cumulative CV and skill penalties make them useless in combat. While this isn't exactly realistic, it effectively deters players from loading their characters down like pack mules, even if they have very high STR.

:eg:

I think we need to bury Crypt in the mechanics of Hero somewhere :)

I like this because it will only take up a couple of lines of the book and is a pretty straightforward approach to totaling encumbrance.

Obviously this approach works well for a balanced load. It might be possible to apply a multiplier to object mass if it is not balanced, to account for leverage:

Awkward shape*: x2 to x8 effective mass

*always bearing in mind that it might simply be impossible to carry a large number of objects, given a limited number of limbs, no matter what the mass.

This thread has got me thinking...

Suppose we base Encumbrance on the existing rules for Lifting (STR), then apply a variant of the Gradual Effect limitation to simulate effort (and END) expended over a greater period?

We might get a table like this:

Required STR     Interval       CV    Skill
STR              phase          -5     -5
STR-5            turn           -4     -4
STR-10           minute         -3     -3
STR-15           5 minutes      -2     -2
STR-20           20 minutes     -1     -1
STR-25           hour            0      0

Where the required STR would be what the character would need to lift the load, The interval is how freqently the character would pay the END cost for using his STR, and the CV and Skill modifiers would apply while carrying the load.

What do you folks think?