London Knights

knuckles

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: London Knights

I'm pbeming in a fantasy game for the first time as well at the moment. Here are a few samples of my play style.

Jarrid absently-mindedly rubs he stubble of his hair straining to hear something.

Anything. A soldier has to know patience but this is brutal. The knowledge that violence and certain death is so close for some, maybe Pae, maybe Efram? Maybe me! That knowledge is like a physical thing - almost it reminds him of the first time he lay with a girl; he was desperate for it to happen but scared shitless that it might.

Please, Ro, let me be brave enough to loose arrows straight and true.

I've said my piece, I reckon I better get on with digging some holes. Jarrid has a a quick look around to make sure nonody has anything against it and goes to look for a pick and shovel.

When he finds some tools he'll look for a nice spot in the shade of a tree with a nice view, strip to the waist and get to work. Taking care to leave his unstrung bow and a few arrows close to hand.

It's funny this is exactly the kind of thing I'd be doing if that bloody minstrel hadn't filled my head with nonsense. Digging holes, clearing fields, planting and herding cows. It's honest work but a bit repititive and it leaves your mind to free to wander and go over the past. Killing, rape, tortue, burning and raiding, plunder and theft and it's a far cry from the heroism of the Balladeers but that's what war is not shining armour and chivalry.

I doubt if I'll ever get the look in that first man's eyes out of my head. The man running at me with a spear so full of hate and fear. And joy as he saw me piss myself and the way my arm trembled as I fumbled back the string. The shock on his face as the strength went from his legs and he saw the goose featherd ash sticking from his hip. The next arrow carshed into his heart and the light went from his eyes. I was only 15 then, nowt but a boy but that last look he gave me is with me forever. I see it in my sleep or when I my mind wanders. I see it now and I'll take it with me to the grave.

We want fear & panic, terror & confusion! People running this way and that saving what they can. We want smoke, fire and we so much off it that the soldiers'll be too busy saving their loves ones and themselves to bother about us. To bother about more screams in the night or a burning Inn. To bother about saving Hurtang.

This is war and war is hellish but we can't pull back from our duty. We have to toughen up and act like soldiers. Act like men.

They're be time enough later to think about the women and children. Time enough when we're alone in the dark. Time enough for guilt and second guessing. Time for what if, the hows and why nots and the beating yourself up. Right now is a time for action. We have plans to make and quickly before we're sent out of the village and the time passes.

We need to get as many of the empty houses primed to burn as much as possible.

We need to find a likely roof suitable for archery. We need to check if we have access to the roof or if we have to cut through the ceiling. We need to get our bows there. And our horses nearby. The building should be stripped of flammables to make sure we don't go up with the rest of the town.

We need to think of a place to meet , out in the woods, it all goes tits up and we are separated. We could perhaps leave supplies there. Just in case.

We need to think about how we get the Inn on fire. Do we have any oil? What about pushing a burning haycart straight at the front door.

Let's get planning soldiers.

-------------------------

Obviously Jarrid is a soldier not a superhero so Helana would think, act and speak differently.

Hey guys, sorry been busy with work past few nights, ok the guys who submitted cloud rifer and red cougar. Both are good martial artists, and im not showing any favourtism, but i am inclined to take red cougar for the teams kung fu fighter, on the strength that his back ground slots very neatly into the story as i too dis regarded nightwind as a character and replaced him with my own, Jade dragon.

Im off out for the evening but will have a closer look at the applications when i get back. Like the tinman idea, lets have some stats.

and yes guys theres a million british stereo types, but could we please not clutter this post with them? and remember guys were part of until so its a global organization, just because the game is set in london doesnt mean they have to be british.

Cheerio

As a Brit I would just point out that the UK, and London especially is a culturally very diverse place. A real melting pot of the worlds nations, races, cultures and religions. Don't limit yourself to playing British stereotypes, although they are cool to play too.

Stiff upper lip and all that. :D

Say that last in Notting Hill and see where it gets you. ;)

Hey guys' date=' sorry been busy with work past few nights, ok the guys who submitted cloud rifer and red cougar. Both are good martial artists, and im not showing any favouritism, but i am inclined to take red cougar for the teams kung fu fighter, on the strength that his back ground slots very neatly into the story as i too dis regarded nightwind as a character and replaced him with my own, Jade dragon. [/quote']

YES! That's me! Red Cougar! Backstory bonus!

Sorry cloud Rifer. Maybe another time. Or maybe there could be two martial artists, and there could be a rivalry between them?

What character did Legatus end up using if I can ask? All I know is that he fine tuned it recently.

Hey guys, sorry legatus, after looking them over i'm going with red cougar. I think the image of you flying about on a cloud conjours images of monkey to my mind. That is not to say i wont consider a different application for another character, as i said red cougars back story works well with some written stuff i have. Plus i can introduce the shadow dragon tournament story arc.

So congratulations Core brute, your invited to try outs.

Hey Vox, yeah we still need a brick, i had a potential candidate from the story crafter website, but i think he might have fell off the planet.

Ok sos far i have a martial artist and a multiform elf/pixie (mentalist)

It's okay for me. I was aware of the fact that my character could be a bit too cartoony and not everybody's taste. I have had a look at CoreBrute's Red Cougar and it's a nice write-up. So no problem here.

I probably won't hand in another character. I don't have inspiration enough right now. But who knows...Tomorrow's another day.

Have fun with the London Knights and if you ever need the assistance of Cloud Rider...just give me a call.

mac Lir's completed .hdc attached. I'll reproduce the stats and background here for those who're only casually interested.

mac Lir

Player:

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

20 DEX 30

25 CON 30

17 BODY 14

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 5

20 COM 5

27 PD 17

27 ED 22

5 SPD 20

15 REC 0

50 END 0

55 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

10" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 193

Cost Power

12 Strength of Arms: Damage Resistance (12 PD/12 ED)

5 Tuatha de Danann: Life Support (Longevity: Immortal)

5 Summon Horse and Arms: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (mundane outfit into heroic identity, another application of this power) (10 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) [Notes: With a whistle mac Lir summons the mighty horse Enbarr, who appears out of a sudden mist. The moment he leaps into the saddle, mac Lir's arms and armour appear in a swirl of furious winds.]

Mythic Regalia, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

20 1) Enbarr of the Flowing Mane: Flight 15", x4 Noncombat (35 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4), Only Functions Where There's Enough Space To Ride A Horse (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: Manannan's fabled horse, faster than any other. Enbarr disappears when mac Lir chooses to dismount, reappears again when needed on the crest of fog bank.]

8 2) Enchanted Hauberk: Damage Resistance (8 PD/8 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 3) Flaming Helm: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: An ancient Viking helm with horns of flame.]

20 4) Cloak of Mists: Change Environment 4" radius, -6 to Normal Sight PER Rolls (25 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: A grey cloak that can shroud the wearer in a rising fog.]

30 Fragarach, the Answerer: Multipower, 61-point reserve, (61 Active Points); all slots OAF Unbreakable (-1) [Notes: This legendary weapon can penetrate any armor and puts the power of the winds at your command.]

2u 1) Fragarach's Edge: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (4d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1), No Knockback (-1/4)

1u 2) Hilt Smash: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

3u 3) Cyclonic Blast: Energy Blast 7d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (61 Active Points); OAF Unbreakable (-1), Will Not Work Underwater Or In A Vacuum (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 110

Cost Skill

2 WF: Blades, Common Melee Weapons

6 +2 with Fragarach

3 Climbing 13-

3 Conversation 13-

2 Gambling (Chess) 13-

3 High Society 13-

3 KS: Irish Mythology 13-

0 Language: Gaelic (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

3 Navigation (Land, Marine) 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

3 Riding 13-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Tracking 13-

Skills Cost: 40

Cost Perk

2 Reputation: Recognized as Manannan, God of the Sea (A large group) 8-, +2/+2d6

5 Money: Well Off

Perks Cost: 7

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Hunted: Mystery Supervillain 8- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

15 Dependent NPC: Eileen Buckley (Irish Ministry of Defense) 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID) [Notes: A 28-year old former soldier and current government bureaucrat assigned to deal with mac Lir. Owing to the interested coverage of the media, Eileen's identity is nearly as well known as his.]

25 Hunted: Mystery Organization 11- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Capture)

20 Hunted: the Catholic Church 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

15 Physical Limitation: Hard to Miss (All the Time, Slightly Impairing) [Notes: He's tall, broad-shouldered, impossibly fit, with curly dark hair and fine cheekbones. Easy to pick out even in a crowd.]

15 Psychological Limitation: Acts Stereotypically Irish (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Ring-Giver (Noblesse Oblige) (Common, Moderate) [Notes: Feels the need to reward good behavior in his subordinates - which he sees just about everyone as being.]

15 Social Limitation: Public Identity (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Real or Not? (Frequently, Minor) [Notes: Many people don't believe he is he who claims to be.]

10 Social Limitation: Out of Place (Frequently, Minor) [Notes: Not really made for the modern world, mac Lir occasionally has a hard time with everything from the laws against brawling to the presence of firearms.]

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Manannan mac Lir was born during the reign of the Tuatha de Danann, the mythical first kings of Ireland. His father was the sea, and for centuries he ruled Ireland and protected it against the gods of other lands. Then the Christians came, and the old ways began to die. A pact was made: that the old gods would slumber under the stones of Ireland, to come awake only should Ireland truly need them again. For mac Lir (son of the sea in old Irish), that time came sooner than for the rest.

mac Lir is a god in the old sense of the word; he's not omnipotent, just superhuman in nearly every way. Like the heroes of the ancient world he stands apart from humanity, like Heracles and Gilgamesh, while guarding their interests. His dedication to the people and soil of Ireland is unparalleled. In more ways than one, it's HIS island, and to a somewhat lesser extent he feels the same way about all of the British Isles.

"So I took Conn up by the neck of his chain mail and held him up to my face and says I, 'and just who do ye think you're dealing with?' Next thing I know, the sad bastard has pissed himself so thoroughly that it soaks through his breeches and has dripped onto my tunic!"

mac Lir is unbelievably straightforward. There is nothing hesitant or strategic about his methods. In accordance with the general mood of the times (and the constant reminders of Eileen Buckley) he does reserve the edge of his blade for only the most heinous offenders, but he has no qualms about killing. In the world he knew, war was simply a fact of life.

mac Lir is a brick, plain and simple. He prefers close combat, but will use Fragarach to blow one of several enemies away from him just to clear some space.

YES! Tryouts! Wait, this wasn't the tryouts? Might be fun to see in character, "Looking out the window, you glance at what appears to be a man flying on a cloud. The judge (Who looks remarkably like Simon Cowl) states, "I'm sorry but that was just horrible. Simply dreadful."

We will call Cloud Rider. We will call.

@vox: I think a ghost horse' date=' that even has a name, deserve more than just being a SFX for flight. Write Enbarr up and buy him as a follower.[/quote']

I thought about doing that, but I wasn't sure how much hassle would be involved. If you have any more specific advice, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

~Gabriel

no need for that. As his god powers grow (XP) he could make the horse become a full on follower rather then disappear when he isn't touching it.

Also if you want some ideas on a mystical horse follower, see Brimestone page 108 of Arcane adversaries. Turn demonic to divine and your golden.

Did I mention having a God on the team makes me feel a 'tad' inadequate. "I can kick a guy through a door. That guy can summon a freaking horse!"

Hope you get in. Also I got first post on the London Knights thread.

@CoreBrute/Red Cougar: "One day, we'll battle it out!"

We could battle it out now. Online. I have a game I GM on Rpol. We can battle there. Dice roller and everything.

Or we could just wait until the Dragon tournament and the GM might let you in for the special event.

Hey Vox, like the character, im a little concerned about a 4d6 KA though, i know its all part of the mythical warrior schtick but i cant see UNTIL high command being too pleased having to explain why supervillain x was 'cleft in twain' instead of facing a fair trial by a jury of his peers. So if possible try to have some restraint, robots, demons, giant bugs etc, fair game , viper goons probably not the most sword proof of foes...

Same goes for you red cougar, i have stated in the london knights rules lone wolf vigilantes wont want to join a team, so be warned the minute you decide to envoke your code v killing grey area you can expect a very stern reaction from until, and possibly having to stand trial for murder your self.

Legatus, sorry to hear you wont try again, i feel kind of bad, you were the first to show an interest and like me, live in the UK so have at least been to london i expect. I hope you reconsider.

OK so now i have a ninja, a tank and a mentalist, a blaster and a science /skills guy would be nice