• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: G.I Joe

Code Name: Flint, Real Name: Dashiell Faireborn

STR 15 DEX 17 CON 18 BODY 14

INT 18 EGO 18 PRE 20 COM 18

PD 6 ED 6 SPD 4 REC 8 END 40 STUN 40

+2 overall levels, +2 OCV w/ Firearms, Running +2", Swimming +1", Bureaucratics 13-, Scholar, KS: Military/Mercendary/Terrorist World 11-, KS: GIJOE Team History & Traditions 11-, KS: Cobra 11-, PS: Soldier 13- PS: Ranger 13-, Tactics 13-, Martial Arts: Commando Training: Aikido Throw, Boxing Cross, Kung Fu Block, Hold, Escape, +2 DC w/Commando Training, Use art w/Clubs & Knives (and empty hand), Breakfall, Acrobatics, WF: Small Arms, GP Machine Gun, Common Melee, Grenade Launcher, Climbing, Combat Driving 13-, Combat Pilot 13-, Concealment 13-, Demolitions 13-, Navigation (Land, Air) 13-, Paramedics 13-, Parachuting 13-, Rapid Attack: Ranged, Stealth 13-, Shadowing 13-, Survival (Temperate, Mountain, Jungle, Desert) 13-, Systems Operation 13-, TF: SCUBA, Advanced Parachuting, Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Tracked and Wheeled Military Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Vehicles, Small Planes, Helicopters, Fringe Benefit: Military Rank (E-8: Master Sergeant), Languages: Spanish (fluent), Gambling: Poker 13-, AK: Kansas 13-

Distinctive Feature: Uniform, Watched by US Army 11-, Social Limitation: Subject to Orders , Psych Lim: Sense of Duty to his team, Psych. Lim: In Love w/Lady Jaye

don't forget lady jaye

Wow those are some great stats.Thanks for them. Actually assuming that the joes started fighting cobra in 1982 most would be retired . dukes file card said he enlisted in 1967 and snake eyes fought in nam so most of the joes are in their 50s-60s by my math. as for snake eyes I haven't decided what i want to do with him. He may just be a hermit living in the mountains mouring the death of the one person he truely loved or he could be annihlated by the nuke blast after killing storm shadow.I haven;t decided yet. any suggestions?

Missing, presumed dead.

Then he can turn up again if you decide later that you want him to.

Maybe throw out rumors of some "rogue agent" taking down Cobra agents, and let the players THINK it might be him.

Or it could be someone else.

Lucius Alexander

A real American palindromedary

thats a good idea. the first mission for the party will be to restore the P.I.T.T its been closed down since a rattler attack that killed scarlett.if the party explores the bases quarters i intend to have them find lil things the joes left behind. a tea set fro sgt slaughter ,hawks copy of the art of war,rip cords parachute. but saddest of all will be snake eyes room. sitting on his desk next to the stand for his katana's will be a note written in flowing female script that says "Congrats you are going to be a daddy --love Scarlett" with a postive home preganecy test under it

thats a good idea. the first mission for the party will be to restore the P.I.T.T its been closed down since a rattler attack that killed scarlett.if the party explores the bases quarters i intend to have them find lil things the joes left behind. a tea set fro sgt slaughter ' date='hawks copy of the art of war,rip cords parachute. but saddest of all will be snake eyes room. sitting on his desk next to the stand for his katana's will be a note written in flowing female script that says "Congrats you are going to be a daddy --love Scarlett" with a postive home preganecy test under it[/quote']

can someone rep that sad bit of irony for me?

Bit of a party change. we lost the cloned desert fox but gained a delta force sniper. I'm hoping to get the game going some time next week or the wekk after next.this thread has been a huge help.

So since most of the people playing are a bit wet behind the ear hero system wise I'm going to throw a joke combat at them the first session. basically their first recovery target for the new GI Joe program will be an armoury near the afgan/pakistan border. As they start to head towards it they will discover the peaceful villagers are a well armed militia. Haven;t decided if they pull a black hawk down on their tomahawk or if they land and then have to fight their way to the armoury...but i need stats for militia men now. Does anyone know what book they are in?

their first recovery target for the new GI Joe program will be an armoury near the afgan/pakistan border. As they start to head towards it they will discover the peaceful villagers are a well armed militia. Haven;t decided if they pull a black hawk down on their tomahawk or if they land and then have to fight their way to the armoury...but i need stats for militia men now. Does anyone know what book they are in?

By well armed militia, I assume you mean a secret Cobra base. :D

Here's how I'd stat out a Cobra mook for this scenario:

STR 13 DEX 11 CON 13 BODY 11

INT 10 EGO 10 PRE 10 COM 10

PD 4 ED 4 SPD 3 REC 6 END 26 STUN 25

Characteristics: 25

3 +1 OCV w/ Firearms,

2 +1 OCV w/Rifles,

2 PS: Cobra Trooper 11-

2 KS: Cobra Doctrine & Traditions 11-

1 KS: Military/Mercendary/Terrorist World 8-

3 Tactics 11-

3 WF: Small Arms, Knives

3 Bribery 11-

3 Climbing 11-

3 Combat Driving 11-

3 Concealment 11-

3 Demolitions 11-

3 Paramedics 11-

3 Security Systems 11-

3 Stealth 11-

3 Streetwise 11-

3 Survival (desert, mountains) 11-

3 Systems Operation 11-

1+ Fringe Benefit: Military Rank

2 Language: English (fluent), Pashtun (native)

2 AK: Northern Pakistan 11-

Skills: 55 pts

Total: 80 pts

Disads: Distinctive Feature (Uniform) 5 pts, Watched by Cobra 11- (10 pts), Subject to Orders (20 pts)

Base 45 pts, Disads 35 pts.

Equipment: AK-47 (2d6+1 damage, Autofire 5, 6 clips of 30 charges), Sidearm: 9mm Makarov 1d6 +1 (2 clips of 8 charges)

was actually thinking of running cobra a bit differently this time around. make them..well smarter have cobra commander use catspaws to mess with GI joe..have basic cobra troops be equal to rangers in training and dedication. have massive amounts of cannon fodder from random insurgent groups(( look at somalia..they have more rebel then hospitals) elite shock troops backed up by cannon fodder given odd weaponary

By well armed militia, I assume you mean a secret Cobra base. :D

Here's how I'd stat out a Cobra mook for this scenario:

STR 13 DEX 11 CON 13 BODY 11

INT 10 EGO 10 PRE 10 COM 10

PD 4 ED 4 SPD 3 REC 6 END 26 STUN 25

Characteristics: 25

3 +1 OCV w/ Firearms,

2 +1 OCV w/Rifles,

2 PS: Cobra Trooper 11-

2 KS: Cobra Doctrine & Traditions 11-

1 KS: Military/Mercendary/Terrorist World 8-

3 Tactics 11-

3 WF: Small Arms, Knives

3 Bribery 11-

3 Climbing 11-

3 Combat Driving 11-

3 Concealment 11-

3 Demolitions 11-

3 Paramedics 11-

3 Security Systems 11-

3 Stealth 11-

3 Streetwise 11-

3 Survival (desert, mountains) 11-

3 Systems Operation 11-

1+ Fringe Benefit: Military Rank

2 Language: English (fluent), Pashtun (native)

2 AK: Northern Pakistan 11-

Skills: 55 pts

Total: 80 pts

Disads: Distinctive Feature (Uniform) 5 pts, Watched by Cobra 11- (10 pts), Subject to Orders (20 pts)

Base 45 pts, Disads 35 pts.

Equipment: AK-47 (2d6+1 damage, Autofire 5, 6 clips of 30 charges), Sidearm: 9mm Makarov 1d6 +1 (2 clips of 8 charges)

wasn't VIPER created as the champion universe's version of COBRA? why not useVIPER stats and equipment renamed accordingly?

was actually thinking of running cobra a bit differently this time around. make them..well smarter have cobra commander use catspaws to mess with GI joe..have basic cobra troops be equal to rangers in training and dedication. have massive amounts of cannon fodder from random insurgent groups(( look at somalia..they have more rebel then hospitals) elite shock troops backed up by cannon fodder given odd weaponary

Thta's pretty consistent with the comics' versions of them, but I wouldn't call the highly trained troopers "basic". Cobra has always recruited from the disgruntled elements of society. As it takes a few years to get any soldier trained to an elite level, and actual battlefield expertise is worth far more than anything in a training ground, it makes sense to field your troops as soon as they have basic training. The live battlefield conditions will weed out the week ones and identify the strong.

All that is needed to make a rank and file trooper is a uniform and four to eight weeks of full time training at a suitable facility (the camps in Afghanistan would probably suffice)- hence the reason they are so disposable. I suppose the Crimson Guard are the ones who have survived and become veterans (and reprsent a certain investment in them by Cobra, hence they are not disposed of so easily).

If you're looking for a way to keep some of the Vietnam history consistent with today's environment, I would make a timeline that had Snake Eyes, Duke, Stalker and Hawk having been born around 1950 and enlisting in the late '60s, and the Joe team forming in 1981 or 1982.

Hawk would be about 60. It's believable that he could be a three star general overseeing SOCOM (Special Operations Command) where the Joes are one of several special forces units under his jurisdiction.

Stalker would also be about 60. I think it makes sense that he would have been commisioned from the ranks in the late 80s and could be the Lt Col in charge of the Joe team, though age would prevent him from leading from the front as much as he'd like.

Duke, Snake Eyes and Scarlett seem like good candidates to have been captured by Cobra early in the 80s, and subject to a Dr Venom/Dr Mindbender's experiment that slowed their aging process. I would also retcon things to say that Duke was part of the original lineup in 1981. If we assume that Duke was also born in 1950, he would be 60, but if his aging was halved, he could still have the body of a 40 year old and still be serving as the team Sergeant Major.

Snake Eyes would also be about 60, but between the experiment above and healthy ninja eating habits, he is still as fit as a man in his mid 20s. He would have left the army in 1972/73 and began his ninja training at that time. The Hard Master would have been killed by Zartan around 1979/1980, and Snake Eyes would have returned to America for about a year, living as a hermit before Stalker and Hawk asked him to join the Joes in 1980/81. In 1981 or 1982, he would have become disfigured while rescuing Scarlett from a helicopter crash.

I envision most of the other first generation Joes (Breaker, Clutch, Flash, Grunt, Grand Slam, Short Fuse, Steeler, Zap) as having been born between 1957 to 1962, with them being selected for Joe duty after having about 2 to 5 years time in the military, with the team having formed in 1981.

I suspect that most of the Joes serve for 3 to 10 years before they get other opportunities or else their bodies can't keep up with the demands, so this means that most of the original Joes would have been rotated out by 1992. The ones that do stick around are probably acting as instructors or involved in logisitics/admin/command roles.

Scarlett might have been subject to the same age retarding experiment that Duke and Snake Eyes underwent. If we assume she was about 22 in 1982, she would now be in her very late forties, but physically be in her mid-30s.

Some other opportunities that early Joes might have left for could include: Clutch going to work as a consultant for GM on the Hummer, Flash going to work for DARPA or Steeler being offered command of an armored regiment (his file card says he was a major when he joined up).

On the Cobra side of things, Cobra Commander probably started his pyramid schemes in the early 70s and transformed it into Cobra. He would have had Billy in the mid 1960s. Cobra Commander is probably in his mid-sixties in 2009.

Storm Shadow is probably a year or two younger than Snake Eyes, but he would have been training as a ninja since he was less than 10. He could have enlisted in the army as late as 1970 and rapidly made his way into special forces because of his ninja skills. If his body was used as material for Serpentor, it might have slowed his aging as well. He would have joined Cobra in the late 70s and gained Cobra Commander's attention in the early 80s.

Wade Collins might have been rescued by Cobra from the Viet Cong camps in 1974 after he was erroneously reported as MIA. He would have been one of Cobra early elite troopers, having already gone through US Special Forces training. He might have settled in Springfield in the 80s and had a son, who would go on to become Snake Eyes' apprentice in the mid-nineties and later join the current Joe team line up in 2005 under the code name Kamakura.

So, if you use this timeline though, any joe who was 20-some-thing in 1982 is now about 50 and probably inactive. It's a good way to make the old Joe lineup history and clear the way for a new generation of unknowns, while keeping Hawk, Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes and Stalker around (since to me they are the definitive members of the team).

wow shaft. thanks that timeline helps alot. Any of the NCO Joes would be retired by now (SF injury rates are through the roof) another idea i had was that the party grew up watching the GI joe PSA's that besides being an elite fighting force the joes did the PSA's and some public apperances. this was the 80'sa the time of unlimited military funding so i cans ee some of the more.....charasimatic joes being shuffled around the country to sign autographs and tell kids not to do drugs.

Here is a possible sequence for some of the Joes, starting from 1981. I haven't filled in the details for their departures, but it's safe to assume that most of them stick around for as few as two years but may stay on for as many as ten or more in certain cases.

1981: GIJOE team formed from qualified Green Berets. Lineup: Hawk (CO), Duke (Senior NCO), Flash, Grand Slam, Grunt, Rock & Roll, Scarlett, Short Fuse, Snake Eyes, Stalker, Steeler (DCO); Snake Eyes' saves Scarlett from a helicopter accident, but suffers tremendous damage to his face & vocal chords.

1982: Breaker, Clutch & Zap join the team. Joes rescue Dr Adele Burkehart from Cobra.. Flash transferred to DARPA test unit. Duke, Snake Eyes and Scarlett captured by Cobra and subject to some of Dr Venom's experiments. They escape intact. As time passes, they realise that the experiments have slowed their aging processes.

1983: Steeler leaves the team after accepting a promotion to Lt Colonel and getting command of an armored regiment. Stalker is made a Captain (when Duke refuses a commision) and made 2Ic of the team. Short Fuse is the team's first KIA casualty. Grunt releases from the army and returns to civilian life to study engineering under the GI Bill. Ace, Airborne, Doc, Gung Ho, Snow Job & Wild Bill join GIJoe team to replenish the team's losses. Smitten by the Baroness, James McCullen Destro allies himself with Cobra.

1984: Zap is MIA on a mission. Doc is KIA. Meanwhile, Cobra loses Dr. Venom when he is killed. Covergirl, Torpedo & Tripwire join GIJoe team.

1985: Cobra's front corporation, Extensive Enterprises, expands sufficiently where it is seen as a major player. Blowtorch, Cutter, Ripcord, Roadblock, Spirit & Toll Booth join GI Joe team. Sean Collins born in Springfield.

1986: Deep Six, Mutt (& Junkyard), Recondo & Thunder join GI Joe team. Hawk promoted to Brigadier General and transferred to Special Operation Command (SOCOM) where he oversees the Joes at the higher levels. Stalker promoted to Major and given direct command of the unit, with Ace as his 2Ic (after Duke refuses a commision, again).

1987: Alpine, Bazooka & Barbeque join Joes. Covergirl reluctantly transfers to military public relations after learning that she is pregnant. Ripcord leaves the unit to get married and transfers back to the relatively tame life in the 101st. Thunder KIA.

1988: Dusty, Flint & Shipwreck join Joes. Clutch leaves the army and gets a job as a consultant with GM working on the Hummer design team.

1989: Frostbite & Lady Jaye join Joes. Ace returns to the Air Force and is given command of a fighter wing. Cutter takes over as Deputy Commanding Officer. Grand Slam leaves to become the base RSM at Fort Bragg.

1990: Beachhead, Lift-Ticket & Slipstream join up. Snow Job returns to civilian life in Alaska, but stays in the National Guard.

1991: Leatherneck & Lifeline join up. Rock & Roll goes back to California to open a surf shop.

1992: Dial Tone, Iceberg, Lowlight & Wet-Suit join up.

1993: Blizzard, Outback, Jinx, Tunnel Rat join up.

1994: Heavy Duty, Psyche Out, Law & Order, Ambush, Sub-Zero join team. Hawk made a 2 star General (Major General)

1995: Hawk joins the secretive Jugglers. Stalker promoted to Lt Colonel

1997: Wet Suit goes to the private sector and becomes a founding partner in Blackwater Security.

1999: Hawk promoted to Lieutenant General (3 stars)

2001: Stalker promoted to Colonel

2005: Kamakura (Sean Collins) joins Joes with Snake Eyes' highest recommendations.

BY 2009, Hawk, Stalker, Snake Eyes and Duke would be ~40 year veterans of the army, 28 of them spent on the Joe team. Any member who joined in 1994 would be a fifteen year veteran of the team (and a 17 to 20 year army veteran), so odds are that the team would mostly be entirely new agents of your own creation. I suspect that code names would get retired in a unit like the Joe team, so new members would have different code names, though the MOS'/Specialties would certainly recycle.

or duke could be conrad houser JUNIOR the original dukes son

Or Grandson. :D

If Cover Girl got pregnant in 1987 as per my timeline, her child would be 21, so s/he could be a recruit. Flint and Lady Jaye might have had a child together as well. The same experiment that slowed Scarlett's aging might have had Cobra take one of her ova and mix it with Duke or Snake Eyes' material and grown a superior baby in a vat or something.

Any of the Joes might have been cloned with Cobra or secret army tech.

It's quite plausible that the upper echelons of Cobra have some kind of horrible science that extends their lifespans as well.

points taken shaft

i think i have a way lady jaye might have had to leave the joes in one episode one of her javelins landed on an inocent family's house burning it down.

at one point she considered leaving the military to avoid court marshal after the homeowner held her responsible for the damage in your storyline she may have been advised by her lawyer to do just that

points taken shaft

i think i have a way lady jaye might have had to leave the joes in one episode one of her javelins landed on an inocent family's house burning it down.

at one point she considered leaving the military to avoid court marshal after the homeowner held her responsible for the damage in your storyline she may have been advised by her lawyer to do just that

Well, call me a cynic, but considering the monetary cost to train each Joe and get them up to the standard needed, I don't think the army would court martial one of their troops for collateral damage if the investigation found it was an error made in good faith (and we know it was, since Lady Laye is one of the good guys).

Ultimately, the army is a business, and Special Forces represent a signifigant investment that they have to get a return on. It's actually cost effective for the army itself to settle over the cost of one house, assuming their was no loss of life, than to lose the two to three million dollars or so that each Commando costs, and the army actually sets aside a certain amount of money in their budget for these sorts of situations.

Its funny I always thought g.i.joe was more of a counter terrorist organization that worked behind the scenes to deal with terrorists cells that any public branch of the military or intelligence agency could not touch. Most of the funding was used of equipment for surveillance and a very small tactile squad about 10 members at most everyone else used were just specialist pulled from the standard military (or civilian life) that the mission called for. So the team would expand and contract as needed.

well from a military point of view training each of the joes cost about one million or more (with certain joes being un replaceable like snake eyes ninja training) I'm considering having duke be the four star generanl in charge of the team but one of the major themes i want to convoy is lack of funding by the regular armed forces. I may have a senator in cobra's pocket constantly blocking the flow of money to the team forcing them to depend on mroe and more of the old tech

Freoudian slip perhaps? :D

Seriously awesome job on this Shaft. Did most of the backstory everyone seems to know come from the comic books (Snake Eyes rescuing Scarlett etc.)?

Yeah- that bit of history was told to the readers by Scarlett in the original GIJoe series #27.

As for the Freudian slip, it would probably involve a foursome to which Scarlett and Cover Girl were also invited. :D

I'm considering having duke be the four star generanl in charge of the team

Duke is seriously opposed to ever getting a commision. Did you mean Hawk? They do kind of look the same, though in recent years, they changed Hawk's hair colour to brown. :D

I know he is opposed to it. thats why he would be one of the best officers around.(in my experience atleast officers who started off enlisted make better officers) I've always seen hawk as they guy that once cobra is defeated he retires to a log cabin to just relax