All in the...timing

Sean Waters

Question: when using autofire I believe that all attacks are considered to land simultaneously - is that right?

What about sweep/rapid attack and MPAs?

It may be important in the situation where, for instance, someone is protected by a personal force wall: if you have a 4d6 HKA sword and sweep attack the target the first attack could shatter the wall, leaving defences against the second substantially reduced.

Re: All in the...timing

In my opinion it's sequential counted in micro-seconds with roughly 2-3 micro-seconds between the impacts from an autofire attack. The other types you mentioned would also be roughly about the same as autofire. Hero doesn't deal with micro-seconds so it lumps them all as simultaneously within the same phase.

I asked Steve a similar question about Autofire and Knockback in the past.

Just for balance sake alone I'd probably go with a similar ruling regarding Autofire attacks vs. Force Walls.

I am fairly certain that MPA's are simultaneous by definition.

I think the individual attacks of a Sweep & Rapid Attack should still be considered separate vs. Force Walls (mainly because it's possible to combine them with an attack that itself has the Autofire Advantage).

Thanks for the responses: it certainly does seem that a sweep should be applied one after the other 'logically' as it is the same attack hitting multiple times' date=' but that makes it potentially devastating against force wall defences.[/quote']

Sean, I see your point, but I THINK, and I want to emphasise that I am not sure, but I think powers fail at the end of the phase. As such it would not matter. (all of the attacks hit the FW before it technicaly falls by RAW). I could be wrong however

I assume each to-hit roll is a separate attack landing sequentiaLLY.

so, autofire is one to hit roll with multiple damage hits applying but each getting the defenses.

while a three shot sweep hits immediately one then another so effects like KB etc can apply in between sweeps.

So a three shot autofire would combine for KB at the end while a three punch sweep you could knock the guy away with your first shot and never get the second or third swing.

if a force wall we knocked down by the first sweep hit, the second one hurts a lot.

Sean' date=' I see your point, but I THINK, and I want to emphasise that I am not sure, but I think powers fail at the end of the phase. As such it would not matter. (all of the attacks hit the FW before it technicaly falls by RAW). I could be wrong however[/quote']

According to the description of Force Wall on page 179 of 5er:

After a Force Wall is broken, it no longer provides any defense until the character activates it again (which requires a Zero Phase Action).