Blobby, the Rubber Boy/Girl

AlHazred

For reasons I will keep to myself for now, I'm designing pre-gen superheroes that I want to be somewhat... off.

Essentially, I want each of them to be a perfectly reasonable, playable character, but with some flaw or element which will discourage people from just using them permanently; I want to encourage a certain subgroup of lazy gamers to create characters they want to play rather than just use what's available.

Please note, the gender of each hero is also supposed to be player's choice.

My superhero creation skills being a little rusty from disuse, I'd love to get some criticism, commentary, etc.

First up, Blobby, the Rubber Boy/Girl:

[b]Blobby, the Rubber Boy/Girl - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
20    STR     10   20      13-       HTH Damage 4d6  END [2]
23    DEX     39   23      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
18    CON     16   18      13-
15    BODY    10   15      12-
15    INT     5   15      12-       PER Roll 15-
13    EGO     6   13      12-       ECV: 4
15    PRE     5   15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
21    PD      5   21             21 PD (12 rPD)
21    ED      5   21             21 ED (12 rED)
5    SPD     17   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
10    REC     4   10
36    END     0   36
35    STUN    1   35
6    RUN      0   6"/26"                END [1/5]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
4    LEAP     0   4"/19"                4"/19" forward, 2"/9 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 123[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
30     [b][i]Malleable Body[/i][/b]: Stretching 4", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points) - END=0
40     [b][i]Stretching Powers[/i][/b]: Multipower, 40-point reserve - END=
2u     1)  [b][i]Big, Hard Hands[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=3
4u     2)  [b][i]Bouncing Missiles[/i][/b]: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 40 Real Cost) Missile Deflection (arrows/projectiles), Full Range (+1) (Real Cost: 20) [b]plus[/b] +4 OCV (Real Cost: 20) - END=0
1u     3)  [b][i]Clothing Mimicry[/i][/b]: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (Instant Change) (10 Active Points) - END=1
8m     4)  [b][i]Enhanced Malleability[/i][/b]: Stretching 8" (40 Active Points) - END=4
4u     5)  [b][i]Long, Stretchy Legs[/i][/b]: Running +20" (6"/26" total) (40 Active Points) - END=4
1u     6)  [b][i]Molding To Surfaces[/i][/b]: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points) - END=0
1u     7)  [b][i]Parawing Form[/i][/b]: Gliding 15" (15 Active Points) - END=0
1u     8)  [b][i]Pseudopods[/i][/b]: Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points) - END=0
3u     9)  [b][i]Resilient Form[/i][/b]: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points) - END=0
4u     10) [b][i]Shapechanging[/i][/b]: Shape Shift  (Sight, Touch and Radio Groups, any shape) (36 Active Points) - END=4
1u     11) [b][i]Spring-Legs[/i][/b]: Leaping +15" (4"/19" forward, 2"/9 1/2" upward) (15 Active Points) - END=1
9     [b][i]Heightened Senses[/i][/b]: +3 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0
8     [b][i]Rooted[/i][/b]: Knockback Resistance -4" - END=0
36     [b][i]Toughness[/i][/b]: Armor (12 PD/12 ED) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 153[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Stretching Tricks "Martial Arts"
5      1)  Bounce Away:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5      2)  Full Wrap:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab 4 Limbs
5      3)  Snap Slap:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 8d6 Strike
5      4)  Wrap And Block:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Grab One Limb, Block
4      5)  Wrap And Squeeze:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 8d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
5      6)  Wrap And Snag:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, 30 STR to take weapon away

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 29[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
5      +1 with HTH Combat

3      Acrobatics 14-
0      Acting 8-
2      AK: Millennium City 11-
3      Breakfall 14-
0      Climbing 8-
0      Concealment 8-
3      Contortionist 14-
0      Conversation 8-
0      Deduction 8-
5      Defense Maneuver I-II 
2      KS: Stretching Tricks "Martial Arts" 11-
4      KS: The Superhuman World 13-
0      Language:  English (idiomatic; literate)
0      Paramedics 8-
0      Persuasion 8-
3      Power:  Stretching Stunts 14-
0      PS: Superhero 8-
0      Shadowing 8-
3      Sleight Of Hand 14-
3      Stealth 14-
0      TF:  Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

[b]SKILLS Cost: 36[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
9      Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)

[b]TALENTS Cost: 9[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Distinctive Features:  Round, Rubbery Body (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20     Hunted:  ARGENT 11- (As Pow; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Capture)
30     Hunted:  VIPER 11- (Mo Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Capture/Kill)
5     Physical Limitation:  Heavy (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Code Against Killing (Common; Total)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Showoff (Very Common; Strong)
10     Reputation:  Reckless Showoff, 11-
5     Rivalry:  Professional (with more popular superheroes; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
15     Social Limitation:  Public Identity (Frequently; Major)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x STUN from Chemical Attacks (Uncommon)
10     Vulnerability:  2 x Effect from Chemical Attacks (Uncommon)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

BACKGROUND

Blobby was always fascinated by superheroes and supervillains. Reading comic books was a way to escape the life of an unpopular, somewhat overweight "problem child." Blobby would find out-of-the-way spots to read comics and dream of life as a superhero. One day, of a superbattle erupted at the abandoned factory where Blobby was hiding. No one's quite sure what was in the vat of chemicals Blobby fell into, but inside it a strange transformation had taken place. Blobby was no longer a creature of flesh and blood, but some kind of rubbery plasticine compound able to form odd shapes and change the color and consistency of limbs and skin. Over time, Blobby learned to do all sorts of extraordinary things and a new superhero was born!

POWERS/TACTICS

Blobby has a suite of powers related to having a stretchy, rubbery body. First of all, Blobby can always stretch 4" (8 meters, or about 26 feet). If Blobby needs just a bit more, it has to come from the Stretching Multipower -- one of the slots is Enhanced Stretching, which lets Blobby stretch even farther. The trade-off, is that all powers Blobby has active in the Multipower have to come from the same pool of 40 points -- if Blobby's using 10 points to stretch 2" further, then the total of all other powers Blobby has active can only be 30 points. All powers have their Active Point cost listed, so the player can know how much they use of Blobby's 40 point pool.

Re: Blobby, the Rubber Boy/Girl

Just a quibble, but I would either replace Grab and Block with Full Wrap:

1/2 phase OCV-1 DCV-1 Grab 4 limbs (5)

or just add the maneuver and take the points out somewhere else. Why?

Because you have another maneuver dependant on a grab and the only grab that you have does not thematically lend itself to the other effect (sqeezing one arm)

But otherwise interesting- just recently finished a character similar in idea to this.

Now that you mention it, I noticed this flaw in playtesting last week but forgot to fix it. Plus, I wanted to reduce the number of levels he's got by two so I can just add another with the extra points.

Thanks!

FWIW, Blobby got only two comments: 1) "I like Blobby, he's interesting," and, 2) "Isn't he a little silly?"

My answer to the second comment was "Bingo!"

So, I updated Blobby to incorporate your suggestion, and noticed this was also a prior version of the character. *sigh* That kind of inattention to detail comes from doing my posting at work!

Anyway, all fixed now.

Seems to me that sort of problem is like complaining you never get to eat because your friends eat all the food you just cooked before you have a plate!

really though what is to stop them from pulling of the icky bits with XP either rather than their own ideas?

encourage them to read comics is my suggestions

oh yeah for other ideas for other characters....

Sometimes, people in power just don’t have a real sense of style whether it is from over accessorizing or not fully nailing down his or her personal sense of style before engaging in heroics, either way there can be penalties for having a poorly chosen outfit as well as benefits for choosing the right gear. Although this fashion choice could be an interesting way for one to conceal ones secret identity from the prying senses of others. The wearer may be able to take other ‘compensations’ as well such as various kinds of Hunted (‘fashion police’, fashion columnists, general bad press), Reputations (poor sense of fashion, tabloids top ten worst dressed superheroes), Social Limitations (not respected in polite society, frequently ridiculed) or even negative modifiers to High Society Rolls, etc… as alternate forms of ‘punishment’. Well before these restrictions are allowed the GM should make certain the player is either willing to live with the consequences or willing to expend much effort getting rid of these problems (and the Gm is encouraged to make certain these are seen as real problems/consquences)

Note: if an outfit already has a Presence or Comeliness bonus these should be removed first then the modifiers applied, though in some cases the outfit could have both abilities with modifiers (such as a Distractofit outfit looking ridiculous to anyone other than it’s intended targets).

Ugly Super Suit: -1 total cost,

-1 -2 Com

Faintly Ridiculous Super Suit: -3 total cost,

-2 -4 to Pre, only for attacks (-1).

-1 -2 Com

Ridiculous Super Suit: -6 total cost,

-5 -10 to Pre, only for attacks (-1).

-1 -2 Com

I Feel Ridiculous in this Super Suit: -12 total cost, This suit is so bad even the hero wearing it suffers from a lowered self esteem.

-10 -10 to Pre

-2 -4 Com

Super Ridiculous Super Suit: Exposing the world to new levels of bad dressing could be a super power for wearing/designing/building this suit. In addition to the other abilities this menace to eyes and minds of others provides it reduces the overall cost of the suit by 15 points.

-10 -20 to Pre, only for attacks (-1).

-5 -10 Com

This character also has an inordinately high damage potential when combining base STR (4d6) + Stretching (1d6) + un-Advantaged HA (6d6) + Martial Arts (4d6) = 15d6

I solved a similar issue with my version of Plastic-Man by putting all the Stretching in the same multipower as an Advantaged HA to limit total damage output.

• 1 month later...

I allow every character to break my cap in one area. This guy breaks the DC cap. But we noticed' date=' when Haymakering, this guy packs an incredible wallop![/quote']

Why would he ever use Haymaker when he gets exactly the same bonus from:

Snap Slap: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 8d6 Strike