Pulp Holmes

jtelson

Re: Pulp Holmes

I'd love to see it. I'm a fan of Sherlock Holmes - especially the Jeremy Brett version which has all the elements of arrogance, alienation and drug use I expect. However- those would be reasons to hate this movie (ie purism of the character). Luckily my love of pulp overpowers that, and will even forgive them if they include the supernatural in a setting that was strictly realistic.

Also a Holmes fan. I totally agree that Downey is far from being a physical match for that role.

However, I also think that he is an exceptional actor, and that he could really do the character justice.

maybe themovie will posit that to make a more palapable hero the publisher had sir arthur conan doyle SWITCH AROUND the descriptions of holmes and dr.watson

yes that phrase [iNO]haas been aplied by users of SUPERHERO HYPE to describe reimagind movie versions of marve lsuper-heroes

I actually hear it first applied for the 1998 American remake of Godzilla.

I wonder if the trailer we're seeing is a bit shell game, to appeal to the masses and perhaps build some SHINO hype. Looking at the individual bits, I don't see major inconsistencies in the portrayal of the character which cannot be rationalized, taking into account the change in medium as well mores of the audience.

As I said previously, I expect to at least be entertained, and seemingly in high style.

Doyle more than once wrote Holmes with a macho swagger, and fisticuffs aren't beyond him. The whole bondage thing on the other hand, no. Holmes would never be in the (by Doyle's standards) absurd situation of struggling with a woman alone in a bedroom. I can't see Doyle writing the rest of that scene either. Still, I love Philip Jose Farmer's Pulp Pastiche stuff, and a bondage prone Holme's is very much in Farmer's style.

Meh. As far as I can tell, it has almost exactly as much to with the original Sherlock Holmes as the movie "Van Helsing" had to do with the original of that character.

That's not to say it might be a fun movie - Van Helsing was not so bad, once I got over the name and rolled with the film as a thing in itself. And Downey's certainly a decent actor. I doubt I'll pay full price to see it.

IMO, Brett's portrayal - and the Watson he had - were pretty much definitive. I'm not sure anyone will be able to surpass it for accuracy. Again, that's not to say people shouldn't try... (I just wish they wouldn't try to sex it up)