Temperature affected silicon life form

Okay, concept I need help with. A mineral based life form with a silicon brain/nervous system (like the trolls in Terry Pratchett’s Diskworld series). Their brains work in a way that, when colder than usual, they can think faster/more clearly (basically their “processors” can operate faster without burning out). On the other hand when introduced to excessive heat their thought processes will slow. I’m having trouble modeling this.

Some of my ideas so far:

Self-only Aid to INT (and possibly DEX as well) with a delayed return rate, raised maximum effect, and a Trigger so it goes off automatically, the character doesn’t have to do anything. Limitations would include Self Only and only in appropriate temperatures/climate.

Pros: I like the fade rate of Aid giving the feel of the brain slowing down as it warms back up, it is very much the feel I was looking for.

Cons: However, I think Trigger may make it overly expensive for its utility, especially since it will only work in certain environments that may be very rare.

Another Idea was to buy non-combat Skill Levels with Limitations. Maybe +2 only in X Temperature. +2 more in X Temperature, et cetera.

Pros: Simpler than dealing with Adjustment Powers and changing Characteristics around.

Cons: Lacks the feel I like of having a fade rate. Not sure if the utility is the same as altering Chars directly.

Now the Disadvantage:

Initial thought was an Infrequent, Greatly Impairing Physical Disadvantage that would give a -1 to INT and DEX rolls when in Temperatures X levels above “normal”.

Not sure if this is the correct value at all. It doesn’t have the granularity of Aid with a fade rate or the stepped levels of using Skill Levels with Limitations. Also, not sure how hot it should be (would be judged by the “levels” of temperature that correspond to Change Environment).

It would be nice to be able to model being attacked by heat or cold attacks affecting both the bonus in the cold and negative in the heat as well. Any thoughts, comments, suggested builds, concept criticism, or what-not?

Re: Temperature affected silicon life form

My knee-jerk response is to buy up their INT and DEX as high as you think it will go when properly chilled (say -50°C or whatever), and then give them a Disad "For every temperature level (per the Environmental rules in the book) above -50°C, character loses X INT and Y DEX," where you set X & Y so that at room temperature their INT and DEX are "normal".

If you want them to be particularly affected by heat & cold attacks, use the Susc. Disad to reflect loss of INT and DEX when hit by a heat attack and give them an Aid to INT and DEX that only triggers when they are hit by a cold attack.

Will that work for your concept?

Dancing screaming itching squealing fevered-feeling hot hot hot!!! - The Cure

Re: Temperature affected silicon life form

+X INT (and/or DEX); Only When Temperature Goes Below Level A; +X Is proportional To Level of Temp (lower the level more INT gained);

As the temp decreases more and more INT/DEX is gained, as it goes back up, the amount gained starts to drop off again until it's +0.

Physical Limitation; Occasionally; Moderately Impairing: Loses -X INT/DEX Per Level of Temp above Y (same as rate gain pruchased).

This models gaining and losing the stats based on the level. The more each level increases or decreases the more each stat gains or loses.