Fooling Telepathy

Klytus

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fooling Telepathy

OH! DUDE! You hit it. Whether or not it is' date=' "perfect," [b']Telepathy[/b] is the power for inserting thoughts into other people's heads. This power should be a defensive use of Telepathy! Telepathy on a Damage Shield. That's it! It fits perfectly! :celebrate

That's a bit like saying speach is the ability for putting sound in people's ears so I can make automatically fool people's hearing whenever I can talk.

I dunno. I don't have my book in front of me' date=' but I don't think Telepathy could [i']overwrite[/i] the true information the mentalist gains with the false informtaion the agent desires to propogate.

If you built telepathy like this:

Telepathy: 12d6

RSR (opposed EGO roll)

Side effects (-1/4) may get false information if RSR failed)

You'd get a version of telepathy that could record false memories.

Trouble is that works no matter who your target. We are trying to build a defence/false information provider to work against an attacker who has not taken those limitations.

That's a bit like saying speach is the ability for putting sound in people's ears so I can make automatically fool people's hearing whenever I can talk.

I just view it as a sort of mental conversation. The mentalist asks a question, gets an answer. If Mental Defense or a Breakout Roll gets in the way, there's no answer. With a reverse Telepathy in place, the mentalist might be getting an answer and it just doesn't happen to be a forced one (instead it's one the target chose). I suppose you could require something other than the surface thoughts level of effect for the defensive Telepathy (and probably the +20 effect that keeps it from being detected by the target).

Or go back to Mind Control instead if you really want to be adamant about the difference. But I know what solution I'll be going with myself if this comes up in any of my games. It first perfectly in my Mental Power paradigm. :)

Wasn't any of this covered in The Ultimate Mentalist?

As much as I dislike going to the Ultimate Books, Yes both Images(mental) and Shapeshift(mental) are described as being able to present 'false' information to Telepathy in the Ultimate Mentalist although iirc Shapeshift requires a new adder to go beyond surface thoughts.

Worth noting that telepathy does not reveal 'truth' it reveals the recorded perceived experiences of the target i.e. memories.

There is a really interesting bit at the start of the excellent Zelazny novel 'Lord of Light' where a whole group of people's memories are manipulated: not by telepathy or somesuch but by a 'sermon' designed to make them think in a different way about what they have just seen. Memories are not immutable and will almost always be tinged with emotional overtone, and may even change over time as the person tries to integrate that experience with others.

Good Point' date=' but True and False are easier tags than "Percieved Information modified by experiential drift" and "Self created illusory data" :)[/quote']

Tough! In choosing to use Mental Powers as your weapon, you get the bad with the good. It's a subjective world you've stepped into, and it's your own damned fault. :P

Tough! In choosing to use Mental Powers as your weapon' date=' you get the bad with the good. It's a subjective world you've stepped into, and it's your own damned fault. :P[/quote']

Sweet! Then subjectively I'm going to call them True and False and I'm not telling you which is which :nya: