so... i'm in closed beta...

eternal_sage

do you guys wanna hear about my impressions of the game (when i have some? still gotta collect the code from work tomorrow)? i'm not certain if there will be any restrictions on what i can say or not say, but i'll be happy to post up as much info as i am allowed if you guys want. of course, if no one cares.... whats the point? :D

Re: so... i'm in closed beta...

do you guys wanna hear about my impressions of the game (when i have some? still gotta collect the code from work tomorrow)? i'm not certain if there will be any restrictions on what i can say or not say' date=' but i'll be happy to post up as much info as i am allowed if you guys want. of course, if no one cares.... whats the point? :D[/quote']

Dude, as much as I would love new news on Champions Online, you really should check to see if you had to agree to an Non-Disclosure Agreement as a part of the Beta. Otherwise, you could lose your right to use the beta and worse case, get sued.

ok, so i've messed with the game for awhile. after reading (and rereading) the NDA, i am unable to tell you anything about what is actually going on in the game or how anything works exactly. however, my impressions and opinions of it really aren't covered, so this is what i'll stick with.

character creation is really sweet. its not as free as one might like, BUT its light years from anything you get in other MMOs. plus with the idea that some additional power sets can be unlocked and added to what you get to choose from initally makes the powers section really cool. its not HERO system (we already knew that) but its really not bad at all. and the ability to design your costume is absolutely phenomenal. if you can imagine it, you can do it, or at least come REALLY close. of course this makes it very complex, but ultimately extremely gratifying. a huge improvement over CoH/V. and thats saying something, since many people thought it couldn't get better than that. :D

as far as gameplay goes, its hard to say, as i have not gotten to play much (not even out of the starting scenario) but its a very interesting twist on the typical MMO experience. if you've played WoW or LotRO then this will feel very natural, albeit different enough that you can totally feel the difference between the genres being presented. it also has a very pleasing art style that fits the world and setting very well.

the combat currently gets a little tedious. i can't really go into why at the moment, just suffice to say its related to a core combat mechanic and its a problem i totally forsee going away as more powers are gained and levels rise. it also may simply be a problem that is more apparent with certain builds... only played one character at present, even though i've made 2.

thats my impressions thus far after about 2 hours with it (although over half of that is character creation, cause that was so fun... am about to go make some more characters :D)

ok... lol. i've made like 4 more characters, but i haven't actually played any of them yet! the character creation itself is SO much fun! i've done lots of different concepts and all but "chick made of diamond" has worked out PERFECTLY! chick made of diamonds was passible, but neither setup really looked like what i wanted... about to try a Human Torch kind of character to see how that works out.