Need some help designing two powers

Stone

I am trying to design a new character and need some help. The character is basically a martial brick, but has some ego abilities.

1) Emotion Sense - Empathy. He can sense other people's emotions, use them to identify, track, and target people over a large area. (detect - emotions, sense, range, disc/ana, targeting, 360, megascale 1 km). If I did the math right, thats 50 points. I would also like to add a feedback to it (ex. a fire in a crowded theater, lots of panicing people) thats does damage to him...maybe 2-4d6 Ego attack. My question is how much (if any) of a limitation would this be? Also tinkering w/idea of magnetic fields or something like that interfering with this sense for -1/4.

2) Psi-knives - Ego attack. He can create blades of psi-energy, but he has to physically throw them. The blades can be dodged (but not deflected), therefore the attack would be based on OCV/DCV not ECV. The range would also be reduced from LOS to a much shorter range and affected by normal range modifiers. The problem I am running into is I am not sure how to set up the limitations on the Ego attack. I am planning to go with 3 to 4d6 Ego attack w/autofire. I know gestures (-1/4) will apply, but unsure about the other limitation. Another question I have to decide is if a target has partial or full cover, can the attack go through the cover (since it cannot be deflected). So far I am leaning towards no, since the attack is going to be based on OCV/DCV but I would like to hear what everyone thinks.

I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks =)

Re: Need some help designing two powers

Originally posted by Stone

1) Emotion Sense - Empathy. He can sense other people's emotions, use them to identify, track, and target people over a large area. (detect - emotions, sense, range, disc/ana, targeting, 360, megascale 1 km). If I did the math right, thats 50 points. I would also like to add a feedback to it (ex. a fire in a crowded theater, lots of panicing people) thats does damage to him...maybe 2-4d6 Ego attack. My question is how much (if any) of a limitation would this be? Also tinkering w/idea of magnetic fields or something like that interfering with this sense for -1/4.

First, i don't think i would allow "Megascale" for a sense, the "Telescopic" adder should fit much better (and would probably be cheaper).

For the feedback, i'm unsure if i would do that with a side effect on the power or with a Susceptibility. (i don't even know if i would consider the effect as a natural drawback of the sense like being flashed by strong lights)

If the sense is passive, i would do that with a susceptibility

Susceptibility:

Strong negative emotions (considered as Common circumstances) : 10

4D6 Ego Attack (instant): +15

total : 25

if the sense is active (and thus implies some "emission" from the PC), i would allow the Side Effect. Since the character is likely to be exposed to panic/fear etc... due to his heroic activities, i would give it a -1/2.

2) Psi-knives - Ego attack. He can create blades of psi-energy, but he has to physically throw them. The blades can be dodged (but not deflected), therefore the attack would be based on OCV/DCV not ECV. The range would also be reduced from LOS to a much shorter range and affected by normal range modifiers. The problem I am running into is I am not sure how to set up the limitations on the Ego attack. I am planning to go with 3 to 4d6 Ego attack w/autofire. I know gestures (-1/4) will apply, but unsure about the other limitation. Another question I have to decide is if a target has partial or full cover, can the attack go through the cover (since it cannot be deflected). So far I am leaning towards no, since the attack is going to be based on OCV/DCV but I would like to hear what everyone thinks.

I don't have CKC under the hand but you should take Lancer (in P.S.I.) as an example.

Otherwise, the answer lies in the "mental powers" chapter :

"The blades can be dodged (but not deflected)" :

limitation "Visible" : -1/4

"The range would also be reduced from LOS to a much shorter range and affected by normal range modifiers"

check the "normal range" limitation (-1/4) in the mental powers chapter in FREd. p82 and also "Subject to range modifier" (-1/4) in the "Range Limitations" paragraph p197

I don't think i would make "use OCV" a limitation unless the character has a much higher ECV

as a result :

"Psi-Blades"

Ego Attack : 4D6 [60 AP/30 real ]

+ Autofire (5 shots): +1/2

- Visible: -1/4

- Normal Range : -1/4

- Subject to range modifiers: -1/4

- Gestures: -1/4

- use OCV instead of ECV: -0

IMHO there's a simpler way to do this using a energy blast AVLD :

"Psi-Blades II"

Energy blast: 4D6 [60 AP]

+ AVLD: +1,5

+ Autofire: +1/2

but it's more expensive.

Re: Re: Need some help designing two powers

Originally posted by altamaros

I don't have CKC under the hand but you should take Lancer (in P.S.I.) as an example.

Otherwise, the answer lies in the "mental powers" chapter :

"The blades can be dodged (but not deflected)" :

limitation "Visible" : -1/4

"The range would also be reduced from LOS to a much shorter range and affected by normal range modifiers"

check the "normal range" limitation (-1/4) in the mental powers chapter in FREd. p82 and also "Subject to range modifier" (-1/4) in the "Range Limitations" paragraph p197

I don't think i would make "use OCV" a limitation unless the character has a much higher ECV

I'd likely give Use OCV a limitation. Defensive ECV is generally lower than DCV, and far less peopkle can step it up with combat maneuvers (like Dodge, for example). As well, you can't evade an ECV attack with dive for Cover. I'd probably use -1/2.

In addition to "normal range modifiers", you could apply a further -1/4 for further limiting the range (eg. based on STR, or a reduced maximum range).

Gestures could also be considered, but that makes for pretty elaborate gestures - prevented if you're grabbed, If you want to go that far, maybe consider "Restrainable" instead?

Originally posted by altamaros

as a result :

"Psi-Blades"

Ego Attack : 4D6 [60 AP/30 real ]

+ Autofire (5 shots): +1/2

- Visible: -1/4

- Normal Range : -1/4

- Subject to range modifiers: -1/4

- use OCV instead of ECV: -0

IMHO there's a simpler way to do this using a energy blast AVLD :

"Psi-Blades II"

Energy blast: 4D6 [60 AP]

+ AVLD: +1,5

+ Autofire: +1/2

but it's more expensive.

20 END per shot. OUCH!

This brings up an interesting point - why would anyone pay +1.5 to have an attack work against ego defense when you can effectively pay +1 instead and get an ego attack that not only acts vs mental defense, but has no range modifiers, works against ECV and is fully invisible. The equivalent AVLD costs +2.75? +3? and still works with physical CV's.

Power Defense? Sure - a ranged STUN drain costs the same amount, but has a fixed recovery per turn - maybe a bit superior, but not horribly so. Flash defense? You bet! But mental defense - I don't find that very cost effective.

The real answer, of course, is someone decided it had to cost more than NND because it can still do damage even if someone has the defense.

I'd buid the psi-blades as 4d6 EB, NND (Mental Defense) [+1], Autofire [+1/2]; total active points 50. Limitations could be gestures (-1/4) (although that is debateable - most attacks require some form of gesture), concentration 1/2 DCV (-1/4) [to represent the need to concentrate to form them] - total real cost 33 points. All the other limitations are built in (range, OCV/DCV, can dodge but not deflect [although that is more of a GMs call to me than a rules. If Mental Defense is really common in the campaign, then the NND becomes a +1/2 instead of +1 advantage.

Pretty much the same results but a little cleaner (i.e. less limitations purchased). Have you thought about a multipower - have the autofire, maybe an indirect for one that can go through walls, maybe even one that jangles the targets nerves (flash or entangle).

Emotion Sense -

Detect Emotions (I'd go with 10 points on that for the base, Mental sense)

Sense (2 pts)

Range (5 pts)

Discriminatory and analyze (10)

360 degrees (5)

Targeting (10) = 42 points base

I wouldn't go with megascale, since you can't go lower than 1 km in detail (p 169) - it would be useless below that level, so why have it? Better to buy the telescopic advantage, or use a MP to buy one normal and one megascale. Megascale costs END too (p 170), so to use it megascale would cost 5 END (if you got 50 Active Points that is - my example would be 52 ap, so 5 END as well). I'd go with a side effect if you can switch the sense on and off, susceptibility if you can't (i.e. always on limitation, or no conscious control) - I'd be hesitant to allow a susceptibility that can come and go at will. Vulnerability to stron emotions might work, but I'd also go with the always on in that case.

Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by badger3k

I'd buid the psi-blades as 4d6 EB, NND (Mental Defense) [+1], Autofire [+1/2]; total active points 50. Limitations could be gestures (-1/4) (although that is debateable - most attacks require some form of gesture), concentration 1/2 DCV (-1/4) [to represent the need to concentrate to form them] - total real cost 33 points. All the other limitations are built in (range, OCV/DCV, can dodge but not deflect [although that is more of a GMs call to me than a rules. If Mental Defense is really common in the campaign, then the NND becomes a +1/2 instead of +1 advantage.

I'd stick with the ego attack, or make it an EB that's BOECV - why have mental defense eliminate all damage when you can just have the damage reduced by mental defense. Plus, this will likely cost more since you're losing many of the Ego advantages for nothing (ask me again if AVLD - mental defense is overpriced; if it isn't, both BOECV and Ego Blast are vastly underpriced).

Gestures mean you can't use the attack if grabbed, so consider it carefully. Just flicking your fingers isn't "Gestures" as set out in the limitation.

I like the multipower. You could put the emotion sense in an MP as well, or give it a +1/4 variable advantage (used to add megascale as needed; note you can take smaller increments than 1 km - that may be GM Option, still +1/4, and the variable advantage lets you vary the increments).

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

I'd stick with the ego attack, or make it an EB that's BOECV - why have mental defense eliminate all damage when you can just have the damage reduced by mental defense. Plus, this will likely cost more since you're losing many of the Ego advantages for nothing (ask me again if AVLD - mental defense is overpriced; if it isn't, both BOECV and Ego Blast are vastly underpriced).

Gestures mean you can't use the attack if grabbed, so consider it carefully. Just flicking your fingers isn't "Gestures" as set out in the limitation.

I like the multipower. You could put the emotion sense in an MP as well, or give it a +1/4 variable advantage (used to add megascale as needed; note you can take smaller increments than 1 km - that may be GM Option, still +1/4, and the variable advantage lets you vary the increments).

Oops - its late for me, so I completely forgot that NND stops the attack completely. Good catch.

Re: Need some help designing two powers

Are you sure Mind Scan won't work? You could buy it with Megascaled Area of Effect and No Range to know where all targets within some big area around you are. You could give it a minimum required effect to reduce the cost. You could use the Standard Effect rule to exactly locate all minds with Ego+MD less than a certain value. I'm sure Only to Detect Location would be a pretty hefty Limitation if you don't want to be able to use/be subjected to mental attacks through it.

Something like:

Mind Scan: 14d6 Std Effect: 42 (Ego+MD <= 22)

+1 1/2 Area of Effect, Megascale: 7km radius

-1/2 No Range

-1/2? Minimum Effect: Ego+20, know exact location

-1 1/2? Only to Detect Location

175 active, 50 real

This is a bit expensive (and would be exhausting--but who cares outside of combat), but uses a power which is already designed for detecting minds.