File Planet quick-fix and issues of note.

Mostlyjoe

In essence if you downloaded from FilePlanet (and eveyrone did) do the following after it decompresses. If it seems like it's trying to patch the whole 3 gigs then...

1. Delete everything inside the Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Champions Online/Live/piggs folder.

2. Move all the *.hogg files from Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Champions Online/Live to Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Champions Online/Live/piggs

3. Restart your patcher

Also, the patch server goes down...A LOT. They're having monsterous server issues. If your patcher just lags, and lags, and lags, stop it, restart to see if the patch goes again...but every server on Cryptic side went down a short while after this post drops. So, ya. Beta day patch issues. natch.

Re: File Planet quick-fix and issues of note.

How can I tell if any of the patch is being saved when it shuts down? I don't see any listing for the size of the patch when it is downloading. I would hate to think I keep downloading the same 2-3% over and over again.

I have been doing this for the last 3 hours and I am getting pretty frustrated.

So I have to spend $16 to subscribe to Fileplanet in order to participate in the Open Beta, even though I have a pre-order key from Gamestop? There's no way around this? If so... sucky.

No, you don't have to subscribe - I didn't have to, anyway. The Fileplanet site is just un-user-friendly in the extreme. If I remembered the random button-mashing I did to download the download manager and then get the beta key, I'd tell you - but it is possible.

No' date=' you don't have to subscribe - I didn't have to, anyway. The Fileplanet site is just un-user-friendly in the extreme. If I remembered the random button-mashing I did to download the download manager and then get the beta key, I'd tell you - but it is [u']possible[/u].

Correct, FP would very much like you to subscribe to their service, but you don't need to. If you don't subscribe to FP you are merely queued for the download.

If you are a subscriber your download starts immediately.

You DO have to register for FP (and probably deal with a certain amount of spam) and you DO have to install their Download Manager, but that is the extent of your requirements.

If anyone who has managed to do this without subscribing would post the magic formula needed to do so, it would be much appreciated. I tried for about 15 minutes and was not able to find the correct way to do it without subscribing -- I'll try again, but am not feeling particularly optimistic. I'll note that there's been several complaints along these lines at the official forums as well from what I've been able to see. Hopefully they will clear things up.

I'll note that I have registered and gotten the download manager. I am not interested in subscribing to fileplanet just to get into the beta.

Ok, here's what I did to get to what I assume is the correct page.

1) Go to fileplanet: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/champions-online/beta/?_cmpid=fp191

Click Pre-order Customers.

It will ask you to validate your pre-order key. Follow this link even if you have already validated your key. It will give you a kapatcha to validate. Go ahead and do so.

Click the link to download the game client, even if you already did so. You may gotten a pre-load from them before. Hopefully now it's pointing to the correct file.

Note that as I'm running Vista 64-bit, I found that I have to run everything as Administrator for it to work. Clued into this by the following post on the official forums: http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=30195&highlight=Vista+64-bit

Crossing fingers...