US Army CID Help

Vondy

Okay. I know we have a few army guys who post here. I could use some help. I need information on CID. I have some basic information from their site, such as the general command structure and unit designations, and that its a warrant officer's berth. I also found their issue sidearm and their form of address. But I could use more specifics in terms of the headquarters staff structure in general (org chart?), and the field investigations unit in specific. There is no information on how big the FIU is, whether its broken down into smaller investigative units/squads headed by senior warrant officers, etc.

I'm also not sure about their reporting structure. What are the ranks of the officers supervising the specialized headquarters units. Do they all report to the 701st Unit Commander, or does he have a group subordinate commissioned officer they (being warrant officers) report to? And what ranks are those subordinate officers if they exist? I get the overall command structure for MPs, but with a group of specially tasked warrant officers it gets fuzzy (for me, at least). Any details that can clarify the matter would be useful.

And lastly, is there a site that discusses the rights of serving soldiers under UCMJ vs. the rights of civilians under normative law? Ergo, what the MPs/CID can and cannot do when conducting their duties?

Re: US Army CID Help

I assume you have already seen this (source of your basic info, most likely), but just in case ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Army_Criminal_Investigation_Command

The entry also has links to the CID's official website, and a few other agencies that may be helpful.

Yeah. I went through the wiki article, the CID site's FAQ, and a few LEO related threads. A lot of the details I'm looking for are fuzzy, especially pertaining to the size and structure of the FIU. That's the main thing I'm looking for because I'd like the characters to be an investigations team from said unit.

I did figure out their arrest authority vis-a-vis civilians when on non-DOD turf (military investigators "no," civilian investigators "yes"), but a lot of the details, like whether or not they can obtain and execute federal warrants (not statuatory) on civilians without a civilian counterpart present when army interests are in play, or whether they can arrest/search a service member for non-UCMJs violation off-post is a bit fuzzy. Unlike NCIS (a predominantly civilian agency reorting to SECNAV), Army CID is largely a military command structure with mostly military investigators.

Its a little silly. And byzantine. "Hey, let's call the [mostly civilian] fraud unit to obtain and execute the [felony] arrest warrant on citizen so-and-so who murdered colonel so-and-so!"

CIDC uses military and civilian investigators. The military personnel are enlisted, WO, and officers. The enlisted guys have to be at least an E-4 to apply. The civilian guys are 1811 series GS employees, and yes they can arrest civilians.

As far as organization goes, there are CID detachments on most major Army installations, and forward deployed to places like Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar, etc.

The size of specific sub-units isn't going to be available to the general public. If all you want this for is game play, I wouldn't sweat it, and just go with whatever you feel fits the bill for your game.

CIDC uses military and civilian investigators. The military personnel are enlisted, WO, and officers. The enlisted guys have to be at least an E-4 to apply. The civilian guys are 1811 series GS employees, and yes they can arrest civilians.

As far as organization goes, there are CID detachments on most major Army installations, and forward deployed to places like Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar, etc.

The size of specific sub-units isn't going to be available to the general public. If all you want this for is game play, I wouldn't sweat it, and just go with whatever you feel fits the bill for your game.

For this civilian, what is an 1811-series GS employee? :nonp:

For this civilian' date=' what is an 1811-series GS employee? :nonp:[/quote']

Its a civilian who works as a sworn/empowered investigator for the Department of the Army as opposed to an enlisted/warranted/comissioned investigator. Almost all of the civilian investigators are in procurment fraud and cybercrime related units, or working specialized jobs. Criminal investigations, force protection related intelligence, security assessment, personal protection, and most investigations pertaining to classified programs are handled by military CID personnel, who are the hands down majority of CID personnel.

A problem I've heard griping about is that the civilian investigator's (1811's) units are often not on, or near, bases with the military investigators which means their statuatory (warrantless) arrest powers can't be leveraged easily when needed, nor can their authorization to obtain search and arrest warrants for civilians who aren't on DOD property. The military investigators can detain but not transport or process civilian prisoners. They end up leveraging other Feds or LEOs

There's a push to give the Army and Air Force CID the same warrant/arrest powers as other federal law enforcement. It hasn't happened yet because the Army and Air Force are resistant to going the route the Navy has (making CID overwhelmingly civillian) and have a rigorous interpretation of posse commitatus. Incidentally, the actual posse commitatus act never applied to the Navy even though they respect it due to internal DoD policies.

For this civilian' date=' what is an 1811-series GS employee? :nonp:[/quote']

Civilian Government employees fall into a couple of categories

The largest is GS, General Schedule, these are the bread and butter "white collar" employees that makes are government function. These jobs are organized into series of similar work using a 4 digit code. Firefighters are 0081, Forestry workers (including many wildland firefighters) are 0462, National Park Service Park Rangers are 0025 etc.

Other categories are

SES Senior Exectutive Series, these are primarily agency leadership positions. Agency heads and their high level assistants / deputies.

WG Wage Grade, these are the "blue collar" government workers. Basically the same as GS but pay is based more on local pay, while GS employees are paid more at a national level.

AD Admistratively Determined, this is a series for short term emergency workers. It basically goes back to the days we cleared out bars to find firefighters for forest fires. This is for workers needed for a time measured in hours or days. WG & GS employees can be hired for 1 year or less (temporary), 1-4 years (term) or for the long haul (career).

Probably more than you needed to know, but hey I'm bored.

If for some reason you really want more info on series numbers etc, here is OPM the governments personnel office.

http://opm.gov/

There's a push to give the Army and Air Force CID the same warrant/arrest powers as other federal law enforcement. It hasn't happened yet because the Army and Air Force are resistant to going the route the Navy has (making CID overwhelmingly civillian) and have a rigorous interpretation of posse commitatus. Incidentally' date=' the actual posse commitatus act never applied to the Navy even though they respect it due to internal DoD policies.[/quote']

Actually the AF's "CID" is called OSI, or the Office of Special Investigations.