Hudson City in real life?

Manic Typist

I was just wondering if people felt like taking a few seconds to think about the various sectors of Hudson City, and post some images that they thought captured the general feel or appearance of what each area might look like (dramatic/cool shots are the best, of course).

For instance, I would love to be able to show my players a photo of Chinatown (but I don't know of a city that has a "great" example of an American Chinatown), or a residential area that just screams Irishtown, etc.

Re: Hudson City in real life?

For instance' date=' I would love to be able to show my players a photo of Chinatown (but I don't know of a city that has a "great" example of an American Chinatown), or a residential area that just screams Irishtown, etc.[/quote']

San Francisco and Los Angeles are homes to what is the original "American Chinatowns". Egg Shen illustrates this beautifully in the phrase "China is *here* Mister Burton."

I'd look to Boston and New York to find a strong Irishtown. New York and San Francisco have the classic image of Little Italy. South Central and Compton in LA and Cabrini Green in Chicago circa 1990 on are classic "projects" (all three areas being converted into virtual fortresses at points during their history.)

East St. Louis in the 1980s was a poster-child for "Urban Decay". And there are still places in Oakland where outsiders, *especially* the Police are in constant danger.

OK DarkHerophiles. Bing Images is your friend. I love the whole video and image tabs on Bing for ease of use.

That said, I searched Chinatown in Images and got these photos. I took a walking tour with my wife in San Francisco's Chinatown during the day and wished we had more time to go back at night.

I'm going to search some other tags for pics and post later.

The Projects-Chicago Cabrini Green. Alot of the buildings have been demolished, at least the high rises. The lower buildings are still being habitated. These pictures are just a drop of what I found under the heading "Cabrini Green Chicago buildings".

Thats all for tonight, maybe more tomorrow.

Aweomse Hawk! I've never heard of Bing.

What do you suggest the projects? The Numbers? The Needle? That's where I am a bit lost.

Irishtown- the name is a bit misleading. It's now the wealthy uppercrust living sector of the city. Gated communities, private security, frequent police patrols, mansions, ferraris, that sort of deal.

Beverly Hills, perhaps?

The way you wish to visualize it is up to you. This thread has opened my eyes to the variety of media to present to my players on the location they are in and I am having fun finding new places to WOW them.

I think more along the lines for Irishtown might be the Hamptons, or parts of the Back Bay in Boston. Anyone who has an idea of a location please sing out.

Found this forum about cities with a worst slum thread. Lots of pictures and I'm loading the first page of the Bronx form username SuperMario. Lots of good images for Dark Champions. Heres the link

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/107733-cities-worst-slums-26.html

Glad you like Bing. Lot of fun for a search engine, more visual to me than Google.

San Francisco and Los Angeles are homes to what is the original "American Chinatowns".

Also, Manhattan. Not "original," but huge and very overtly chinese. Its also got the original Little Italy shoved right up next to it.

Not a "Chinatown," but Seattle's International District is often touted as the most diverse Asian community in the United States.

(read: the most asian immigrant groups mashed into one urban area together).

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know about irish neighborhoods but when i picture the architecture of hudson city i think of richmond va. where i lived for a couple of years

Just as a friendly reminder- Irishtown is not Irish. It USED to be, but the name is left over, and Irishtown is now where the wealthy socialites live in their gated communities and garden surrounded mansions.

Irishtown seems to be Beverly Hills?