A tale of two tails/bases part 6

tesuji

Per 6e

I have a brick with 50 strength and 30 dex and he pays 80 cp for the choices

i have a second brick with same stats but who also has four normal size and dexterity tails. he pays 32 for the strength and 32 for the dex, applying a -1/4 lim to each and a few pts, still 5?, for the extra limbs.

sigh...

similarly with bases - if i have a portion of my base that has less defense or say where the life support doesn't get to, i can limit the life support and the def cost, not the size so a base with everything i have now plus some more open stuff is cheaper.

both examples of "buying low to save big" where you purchase a small cheap ability and somehow construe to limit a much more expensive thing.

Limit expensive dex and str because they dont apply to the cheap exta limbs.

limit the cost for the best parts of the base because the cheap extra space isn't covered.

In both cases its the cheap extra thing that SHOULD mathematically get the lim applied.

maybe in 7e?

Re: A tale of two tails/bases part 6

Yeah, I agree on the Extra Limbs getting the Limitation. Not so sure about the Base's Size, but certainly the costing is a problem. I guess our best recourse at the moment is to use common sense and not give the full rebate for the Limitation, at least when our Danger Sense goes off.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would his Strength and Dexterity be limited, because he can't use it with his tails?

He still has his Strength and dexterity, he just can't use it with his tails!

err, with bases, yes partial limitations are allowed.

just 'limit' what is actually being limited.

In the case of partial life support/defenses for bases, do bear in mind 'some open areas'

doesn't really 'take away' the defenses, they just apply to possibly more relevant areas.

Ergo, it might not be a 'limitation' because it fails to sufficiently limit the power.

Ex. your building (with life support), is shot into space!

How? rockets were attached to it or it was magnetically levitated.

In these cases, the grounds surrounding your base were unaffected.

Next week, Graviton throws the whole grounds into orbit, along with many kilotons of soil.

Your Life Support covers the 'generally effected area',

the grounds are less relevant areas, IMO 'not worth points'.

Why would his Strength and Dexterity be limited, because he can't use it with his tails?

That's exactly what some of us have been wondering for a long time.

Someone who doesn't have a prehensile tail ALSO can't use STR and DEX with it, and doesn't get a limitation.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary bought Invisible Extra Limbs with Stretching

Per 6e

I have a brick with 50 strength and 30 dex and he pays 80 cp for the choices

i have a second brick with same stats but who also has four normal size and dexterity tails. he pays 32 for the strength and 32 for the dex, applying a -1/4 lim to each and a few pts, still 5?, for the extra limbs.

sigh...

Could you give a page number for this?

Could you give a page number for this?

It's in the write up of the power Extra Limbs, and Mr. Long has confirmed it online.

That's for the Old Regime. I'm not sure about the New Regime yet.

Lucius Alexander

I do not answer palindromedary design and philosophy questions.

What do you mean the "Old Regime" and the "New Regime"? The OP specified that this was "per 6e"' date=' or is there something more current than that?[/quote']

I missed that reference - okay, so my information may be outdated.

But stand by, I have the new edition in PDF I'll look it up.

Edit: Confirmed. That's one thing that hasn't changed.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary reflects that at least it doesn't make anything WORSE than it already was.

yes it is explicitly defined under extra limbs and the base one is the [artial coverage rule under bases.

i brought this up under 5e and also explicitly added it to the 6e design threads but it remains as the official way to go in 6e. the answer in 5e was along the lines of "if you dont like it dont use it"

still following thay recommendation personally.

It seems unreasonable that a character who has a prehensile tail that is usable for anything would cost less than a character who entirely lacks a prehensile tail.

I suggest the solution is to Limit the extra limbs, rather than the STR and DEX. A character who has Extra Limbs pays 5 points for the privilege. If those Extra Limbs are reduced in functionality, the limitation belongs on the Limbs, not on the Characteristic.

Ditto for the base - limit the cost of the Grounds, rather than the cost of the powers that don't cover the Grounds.