Black and White

Greywind

Re: Black and White

I've read it.

It was good. I liked the character development along the way, and it did a decent job, IMO, of mixing the superhero tropes with "real life" viewpoints.

The world it creates is somewhat dystopian, but definitely usable for those who'd like to play in a dark, us vs. them type campaign. Sort of Brave New World-lite (for those who remember the game from Pinnacle).

IIRC, the next book's already in the works.

It is available in paperback. I borrowed it from a friend and read through it in a couple days.

Overall I liked it, although I thought the ending was just a tad flat. Very interesting characterization of the two main protagonists, as well as the unveiling of the central theme of the book.

The writing style consisted of each chapter flip-flopping between the two protagonists perspectives, which I liked since we the reader got two sides to every event.

I'm actually waiting somewhat anxiously for the followup book, Shades of Gray.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I finished it last night. Given the established Urban Fantasy pedigree of the authors, I was a little worried a) that the book might veer too far into the romance direction so prevalent in Urban Fantasy, and B) the authors might not "get" superheroes, something I've found in a number of prose treatments of the genre. Neither concern came to pass. The story is fairly bog standard and has some of the more obvious UF and Romance tropes without going overboard. The authors very definitely understand superheroes. Not a bad read at all. I look forward to the sequel.