Fantasy Hero House Rules

Guest Keneton

Since so many of you have been debating house rules for Fantasy Hero, I'd like to add a few topics. I will not post my full house rules as they are too large for the boards. I will however post the ones specific to character generation. I welcome comments and inquiries and look forward to good open discussion on the topic along with how these may help your campaign.

Thanks in advance for what I anticipate to be a good discussion thread.

:D

Nice, very thorough; you highlighted a lot of minor details and it comes across as "reasonable, not overbearing". I am going to use your format as a model for my own (TBD) guidelines. Thanks!

The various character-building specializations were interesting, haven't seen anything like that before. It's an idea I'll have to consider.

I noticed you didn't say anything about whether Combat Luck is stackable with regular armor.

Does 40/60 limit on spells mean max 40 AP in the base power, and max 60 total (incl. modifiers)?

Does the "Adept" limitation also imply that all spells are "noisy" to a certain degree, or does it only apply to characters not spells?

Mike

Thanks for the comments. Your answers below:

Combat luck is stackable and limited to 1 level.

The 40/60 refers to Active Points. Some powers can exceed this limit.

Advantages increase the ActivePoints in a power so do not worry about the base of the power construct.

The custom disadvantage is a lot like noisy but not exactly. it allows an adept to sense an adept. Noisy can increase the visible special effects of a spell or make it easier to detect or analyze.

:)

Template

I stole this from the base method used to write the genre books, only I dont type as long or fast as Steve!

My other (FULL) house rules minus chracter creation are also on the boards. See the thread located here. . .

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7534

I reccomend the forum as it is quite good.

:)

Originally posted by Keneton

Almost 50 downloads but no discussion. I am the worlds worst thread starter. I am ready for lessons from Killer Shrike and Hermit!

:(

Hehe. It can be frustrating, I know.

There are a lot of lurkers on these boards, so dont sweat it. Its not you; they just tend to keep their thoughts to themselves for some reason.

Also, the amount of material affects how fast people respond -- they dont always have time to fully read the material, and dont always have the time to get into detailed point by points.

I just glanced over the material, and it seems workable. What it lacks in depth it compensates for with simplicity and brevity (2 things Ive never been very good at :D).

The real test is whether your players have fun with it -- if they do its bloody brilliant; if they dont, its flawed.

As an aside, what point range do you expect within the campaign setting -- to really get a feel for this sort of thing you need to know the high end too. Frex, in CU you have the low end -- norms, the PC and primary antagonists range, and then off on the horizon Dr Destroyer. Gives you a feel for how PCs stack up, what their Active Point limits really mean in context, and so on. It may be in there, but if so I missed it with my high-level skim.

If you'd like, I can give you a few tips on how to format the doc for web display and I can throw the page up on my site at http://www.killershrike.com

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Hehe. It can be frustrating, I know.

There are a lot of lurkers on these boards, so dont sweat it. Its not you; they just tend to keep their thoughts to themselves for some reason.

Also, the amount of material affects how fast people respond -- they dont always have time to fully read the material, and dont always have the time to get into detailed point by points.

I just glanced over the material, and it seems workable. What it lacks in depth it compensates for with simplicity and brevity (2 things Ive never been very good at :D).

The real test is whether your players have fun with it -- if they do its bloody brilliant; if they dont, its flawed.

As an aside, what point range do you expect within the campaign setting -- to really get a feel for this sort of thing you need to know the high end too.

This is just the FantasyHero Charactyer Creation House Rules. The full house rules are far from brief and cover the q's you supplied. The link to the full house rules is listed above.

BTW: I have enjoyed your posts( both now and in the past) and thank you for your comments.

Originally posted by tiger

I've started a Western Shores campaign. I have the outline on my website. I've set some limits and so far everyone is enjoying themselves.

The rules are changing a bit here and there now that they have XP to spend but not to much has change since the begininng

Tiger. We ran western shores campaign after Malekith conquered the whole of Tolinar. We wrote up Alzhemas and his war machines. I will send you material if you like! Really epic high powered fantasy stuff.

:D