The Day After Ragnarok

TheQuestionMan

Greetings Programs, my copy of The Day After Ragnarok finally arrived and now its down to the joy of reading and readying a Review.

Resources:

The Day After Ragnarok by Atomic Overmind Press

http://atomicovermind.com/blog/?page_id=861

The Day After Ragnarok in HERO Games Online Store

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=240876

Added to Hero System 3rd Party Products thread

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1918817

Cheers

QM

Re: The Day After Ragnarok

The Day After Ragnarok

Welcome to the world at the end of the world. The skies are shrouded with burning, oily smoke, the Earth groans under a poisoned corpse, and the only way out may be deeper into the belly of the beast. This is a world about a flavor and a feel as much as it is about extrapolation. That said, this world has something of an edge to it – it’s a world nearly killed by the death of wonder, although far from all the wonders are dead. Put the “grim” back in “grime” and see the world outside the smeared Perspex windscreen. Mighty-thewed barbarians and grim mercenaries roam the desolate plains of Ohio. Giant snakes, and those who worship them, prowl the ruins of St. Louis. Pirates battle the Japanese invaders in the South China Sea. Bold British agents, equipped with experimental bio-technology, thwart the insidious infiltration of Stalin’s humanzees. Sky-raiders strike from hidden bases in the Sahara, deros skulk in South American caverns, and the Texas Rangers fight electrical death worms to save Los Alamos. Kenneth Hite (Adventures into Darkness, Trail of Cthulhu) presents a world of savage swords and rocket men, of were-serpents and war-apes, from Australia’s battered Empire to the proud city-state of Chicago.

Art: (3 out of 5) - The Cover Art is classic pulp, but lacking something to me. The interior is a mixture of WWII Photographs, Black and White Smudge Style Art, and Avatar sized character sketches.

Layout: (3 out of 5) - Much better this time out. Good Table of Contents and decent Index. Some of the Templates are on split or multiple pages where only one was need. The Font used are clear and easy to read. The Secret Documents and Letters are nicely done, but missing some Pulp feel to me.

Writing: (4.5 out of 5) - Ken Hite can write and knows how to keep the reader engaged. Several sections stand out, but I think the Introduction to the World section should get some acclaim.

Content: (4.5 out of 5) - Where to start. The campaign setting alone brought inspired some ideas of my own and a desire to GM again. (I'll post my ideas later.)

Character Creation is clear and easy to comprehend (Always Important!).

Gear (Equipment), Weapons, & Ophi-Tech is small, but it leaves the GM a lot of freedom create his own.

The Game Master's Section starts with Born of the Venom a selection of Sample Characters, Chimeras, & Monsters.

Adventures in the Serpents Shadow:

Professor Bernard Chieldermass - Scholar & Inventor specializing in Rocketry & Space Exploration

Sir Maxwell Knight - MI 5 Spy Master

William Samson Jr. - British Spy in the Middle East & Asia Minor.

Commander Ivan Sanderson - British Navy & Spy Master

Howard Hughes - Eccentric Inventor, Engineer, & Industrialist

Colonel Da Cova - Retired Veteran turned Mercenary

The Phantom Ace - Russian Fighter Pilot

Colonel Maxim Maximovich Isayev - Russian Spy NKVD/SMERSH Master Infiltrator

Lung Choi San - Dragon Queen of the Pirates and fanatical Anti Imperial Japan

Djhuti Yaman - Mystic Egyptian Aspected

Brigade Furer SS - Otto Skorzeny - Expert Military Trainer & Commando

The Hero Helper Boxes provide plenty of ideas for GM's at any level of experience and help maintain the feel of the genre.

Heroic Helper: Top Five Places for a Mercenary to find Work - Self Explanatory

Random Poison City Generation - Government, Problems, Heroic Opportunities, & City Aspects - Flesh out your City.

Heroic Helper: Top Five Places to Find a Remote Castle - Ruled by a Mad Man.

Heroic Helper: Top Five Places to be Attacked by Pirates

Heroic Helper: Top Five Places to Cities for Spies

Heroic Helper: Top Five Secret Bases

Heroic Helper: Top Five Places to Stomp Nazis

Option Darkness Taint - The blood, flesh, & poison of Jörmungandr

Adventures in the Serpent's Shadow - Heroic Campaigns:

Heroic Head Start: Pirate's Grand Tour

Heroic Head Start: Yesterday Was Quite Enough!

Heroic Head Start: Our Own Iowa

Heroic Head Start: Istanbul Not Constantinople

Adventure Generation: This section alone is worth half the price. I cannot recommend it enought to GM's and Players alike.

The Hook

Hero Goals

Villain

Villain's Goals

Henchmen

Victim

Guest Star

Guest Star's Goals

Obstacles

Twist

Heroic Examples: Showing us how the Adventure Generation can work. I live good examples.

The Shadow Over Ponape

You Can Always Tell Blood

Snakes & Leaders (Lord help us, the Puns)

The Corpses Have Begun to Sprout

Appendix: Another useful section that fills out the genre and helps the GM's get a feel for it.

Poison Land Encounters

Main Encounters

Animal Encounters

Events

Hazards

Monster Encounters

People

Random Transport

Random Allegiance Table

Summary: ( 4.25 out of 5) - All in all a fun read and lots of useful material and ideas to run the Setting and maintain the feel. I understand the cost of Art is high, but as D&D has demonstrated for years, even a bad Sourcebook, Adventure Module, etc... can be sold if it has good art. Ken writes a good yarn and provides several resources to maintain the feel. It actually makes it easier for the GM provding guidelines/examples to go by. The Day After Ragnarok was a great purchase overall and I think worth the price. It will hold a place with honor on my bookshelf and hopefully soon make a good Sourcebook to run a Campaign.

Make mine Hero by by Atomic Overmind Press!

Resources:

The Day After Ragnarok by Atomic Overmind Press

http://atomicovermind.com/blog/?page_id=861

The Day After Ragnarok in HERO Games Online Store

https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=240876

Added to Hero System 3rd Party Products thread

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1918817

Cheers

QM

Re: The Day After Ragnarok

Campaign Background:

The Holocaust was part of the Thule Society's ritual fuel to summon Jörmungandr.

Excuse the Brain Fart, but I am tired so please bare with me.

The Jewish peoples faith that they are the chosen of God and there fore made them the perfect Power Source.

Kabbalah

Norse Mythologies Human sacrifice.

More later when my brain slips back into gear.

QM