PRE and EGO

Sean Waters

Re: PRE and EGO

Not really*: Say you have 3 DCV and +6 DCV due to miniscule size; that's DCV 9. Now you're blinded: that drops your DCV by half to 5: at least SOME of that reduction should be discounted because you have not changed size: you should STILL be +6 DCV due to size even if asleep or unconscious.

I'm not entirely sure there is any way to model that in Hero.

I'm not sure of the verrisimillitude. I find it a lot easier to swat a fly when it sits still then when it's buzzing around, and grabbing a small object on the carpet is a lot easier than catching it in the air. Maybe the size modifier is less effective when the target isn't bouncing around.

I'm not sure of the verrisimillitude. I find it a lot easier to swat a fly when it sits still then when it's buzzing around' date=' and grabbing a small object on the carpet is a lot easier than catching it in the air. Maybe the size modifier is less effective when the target isn't bouncing around.[/quote']

A good point, but I'd have to take up the 'consistency' banner:

Swatting a fly is one thing - and I agree that there is some movement/size synergy but what is the OCV of a fly if we exclude the size modifier? Bear in mind that you are bound to take extra time when swatting a stationary fly, and use every combat advantage that might apply (why do Braced and Set only apply to ranged attacks?). If we simply take an object that there is no penalty to hit and shrink it until it has a +6DCV, it has that DCV no matter what - it has NO senses or movement in any event: it doesn't get its DCV reduced to zero because it is inanimate.

6E1 442

"Permanently shorter-than-human characters pay points as part of their Size Template to increase their DCV by the same amount as the Target Size OCV penalty. Therefore, don’t use the Target Size modifier when other characters attack them — the purchased DCV takes the place of the Combat Modifier. (Unless the GM rules otherwise, the DCV purchased to simulate the fact that it’s harder to hit a character who’s always small don’t “turn off” if the character’s Knocked Out, asleep, or the like. Think of them as being Persistent.)"