Hardpoint's STR & DEX (understanding the math)

dropblack

So I picked up the 6th Edition core books recently-- so far I'm really impressed. But being the eternal Hero newbie, I'm still stumbling on (simple) areas in the rules that confuse me-- in this case Hardpoint's STR and DEX (page 225 of 6E2).

Both of these Characteristics are purchased as Powers with an OIF (powered armor -1/2).

The first question that came up for me is how do you know what his Characteristics are when he's not wearing his armor? Then I looked at the math and became more confused.

STR costs 1 Character Point per level. He has a STR of 40 which he has paid 20 points for. The OIF reduces the cost by half. But if the starting level for STR is 10 wouldn't a value of 40 cost 30 Character Points? With the OIF shouldn't he have paid 15 for his STR of 40?

I'm confused about the math regarding his DEX for the same reason. At 2 points per level (starting at 10) wouldn't a value of 25 cost 30 Character points (divided by 2 for the OIF)?

Thanks.

Re: Hardpoint's STR & DEX (understanding the math)

It looks like the key to your confusion is the limitations. OIF(-1/2) doesn't halve the cost, it divides it by 1.5. Remember, cost of ability/power is Base points times 1+(total value of advantages) then divided by 1+(the total value of limitations).

His base stats are 10. His strength (+30 for 30 points) cost (30/1.5) or 20.

Hopefully that helps.