Opens Book At Random (2 page review)

Sean Waters

So here's the game. Take the book (6e, either volume) and open it at random.

Read the two page spread and critique the rules: anything you like, dislike, would have changed or think should not have been. It doesn't have to be new, it doesn't matter if the wording is identical to 5e, or, for that matter 4e.

Let's see what we get. I'll start.

6e1 294/295 (Telekinesis)

OK. Single piece of art, nice. Not too big but quite evocative. No sidebar examples (some over the page, but this is a 2 page review).

The text of the power is pretty much the same as 5e - no surprises here, but some nice additions: mention of TK and encumbrance, and the effect of losing LOS (although, really that follows from TK being indirect anyway). I'm disappointed we are still saying that there being no action/reaction with TK means you can't pick yourself up - that is precisely what it WOULD mean. OK the principle should remain - TK shouldn't do flight - but the explanation needs a look at.

There is some expansion of the rules for using TK with maneouvres, which adds a bit of value.

There's some useful suggestions for TK power tricks - essentially using other powers to create 'telekinetic effects' - useful to the novice - and then there's Psychokinesis.

This is the biggest change, and it is a doozy. This is partly due to the change in modifier costs: having the power work with OMCV rather than OCV is a lot cheaper now, but we also have this new advantage: works against EGO not STR - basically the opponent rolls (EGO/5)d6 to break out, not (STR/5)d6.

That in itself makes it a brick killer, so it's going to be expensive, right?

Er...+1/4...

OK, fine: in heroic games that makes sense because STR and EGO are probably within 5 -10 points of each other - but then you don;t get a lot of Psychokinesis in heroic games, do you?

To 'get' PK, you need ACV (which is +0) and LOS - same cost as before, then you can add that additional +1/4.

It seems to me this is a pretty potent yet relatively inexpensive attack: for 52 points you get 20 EGO Psychokinesis. Doesn't sound that much and maybe your games are very different to mine but not many characters are going to break out of that at all quickly - certainly none of the example superheroic characters in the book have more than 15 EGO, and this can stop a charging Taurus in his tracks.

So, a lot the same but some pretty interesting changes too. I'm not sure that last one has been play tested enough...or covered in enough detail - how, for instance, does Psychokinesis work against automatons that do not have EGO but are mobile and have STR? Whilst the new rules have incorporated some FAQ clarifications, I can see them spawning a whole lot more.

Re: Opens Book At Random (2 page review)

True, but EGO is cheaper to buy as well. Also, unless you have an entire team built with this, I doubt it's a big deal...as said target's team mates could counterattack....and the build could be done in 5th too...just cheaper as you said. Though the conematic use of this ability would suggest being able to use regular STR and/or EGO to break out...

Not random... *dons flame-resistant suit*

6E1 50-51 Characteristic Maxima

The rules section actually continues on to p. 52, which I will include in the review.

Acceptable, though unrelated, artwork; basically filler for layout purposes.

This rules section is an expansion of the relevant bits from 5eR, containing several key changes from 5eR.

First, the name of the rule has been changed; in 5eR it was called Normal Characteristic Maxima. This was a holdover from 4e, wherein the Maxima was explicitly stated to be the "dividing line" between a "Normal" and a "Super" in a Superheroic setting. 5eR contained no such statement, but many 4e veterans did not change their perception or use of the rule.

Second, the use of Characteristic Maxima is explicitly optional for all settings/campaigns, both Superheroic and Heroic. Previously, the corresponding rule was not in place for Superheroic settings except as a per-character Disadvantage and was automatically in place for Heroic settings with no exceptions.

Third, Characteristic Maxima is "...simply a campaign 'ground rule' that affects everyone in the setting equally." (6E1 50) Thus, in a Superheroic setting, it is explicitly not the "dividing line" that 4e veterans are familiar with.

Fourth, corresponding to the third, is the explicit absence of a Complication that would place Characteristic Maxima on specific characters in a setting where it was not in general use. Thus, it is "everyone or no one".

Fifth, "[t]he listings in the Characteristic Maxima Table are suggestions, not hard and fast rules." (ibid) Those listings have no official status beyond serving as recommended break points for Characteristic costs in specific settings at the option of the local gaming group.

New content includes official discussion of other options: higher or lower breakpoints than those given on the Characteristic Maxima Table, Skill Maxima, and Damage Maxima. The latter in particular is noted as a way to allow characters to exceed a campaign's GM-determined maximum on damage, such as for a "Nova Blast" power (among many other possible examples).

Overall, this rule has gotten what I call the Steve Long Treatment: a few sentences have been expanded tremendously, and variations and examples thereof have been provided. This rule is substantially changed from its previous incarnations, and veteran Hero gamers should read it carefully and fully digest the changes, even if they ultimately decide to grandfather in previous versions' usage of the rule.

6E1 50-51 Characteristic Maxima

Third, Characteristic Maxima is "...simply a campaign 'ground rule' that affects everyone in the setting equally." (6E1 50) Thus, in a Superheroic setting, it is explicitly not the "dividing line" that 4e veterans are familiar with.

I realize this is quite a popular interpretation of the 4e Characteristic Maxima rules; however, I can find nothing in the 4e rulebook that explicitly supports this interpretation. Do you have a page reference?

I realize this is quite a popular interpretation of the 4e Characteristic Maxima rules; however' date=' I can find nothing in the 4e rulebook that explicitly supports this interpretation. Do you have a page reference?[/quote']

Sure.

NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC MAXIMA

This represents a character who is a “normal” in a world of superheroes or other super-powerful beings. This Disadvantage can only be purchased by characters in a campaign where there are normally no restriction on Characteristics (a superheroic campaign).

I only discovered it on researching my position for another thread on these boards.

Interesting seeing the development of 'Normal Characteristic Maxima' - it was always problematic, especially when used to simulate the characteristics of other races: probably best we do without - I'd rather see 'campaign hard coded' maxima, for example, humans can not have more than (say) 20 STR or 18 DEX without (in a FH game, for example) magical aid.

Anyone else opened the book at random recently?

True' date=' but EGO is cheaper to buy as well. Also, unless you have an entire team built with this, I doubt it's a big deal...as said target's team mates could counterattack....and the build could be done in 5th too...just cheaper as you said. Though the conematic use of this ability would suggest being able to use regular STR and/or EGO to break out...[/quote']

True - EGO is cheaper, but I doubt that will mean that people will start buying much more: if they do it seriously undermines other mental powers and, if they do not, then Psychokinesis will remain a very effective way to completely stop most characters in their tracks - even if it can not cause significant damage to most of the them.

There are also all sorts of issue that this does not really address - this definitely uses EGO INSTEAD of STR.