Eye Contact required

薔薇語

I'm trying to build a character and have run into an unexpected road block. The rule for "Eye Contact required" state that it can only be applies to Mental powers. Alas, there doesn't seem to be anyway to make a power that isn't naturally Mental, mental.

My example power:

"Entangle 2d6, 2 PD/2 ED, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +1/4), LOS (+1/2)"

I want to apply "eye contact required" for this power but the rules don't allow for it. Is this a change from 5th? Is there a way around it that I'm not noticing?

The Character in question has psychic / mental powers that are channeled through his eyes. The limitation for most of his powers is that he must make eye contact to have an affect on others.

La Rose

---If nothing else, I'm just writing this up as a "limited power" lim to mimic "ECR."

Re: Eye Contact required

Yeah, I was going to say this sounds like you're just running into Hero Designer being, well, Hero Designer.

try "Limited Power: Eye Contact Required" --- not everything in HD has to be done with the Modifier As Presented. There's a reason Dan put in Add Custom Modifier and such.

Yeah, I was going to say this sounds like you're just running into Hero Designer being, well, Hero Designer.

try "Limited Power: Eye Contact Required" --- not everything in HD has to be done with the Modifier As Presented. There's a reason Dan put in Add Custom Modifier and such.

That is what I ended up doing. As best I can tell, HD is following the rules as they are written on this. I can not find a rule in the book that makes the power become a mental power. ECR states that it can only be applied to mental powers. HD is enforcing that rule. My concern was if I was missing something in the book, not if HD is doing anything right or wrong.

La Rose.

Guest steamteck

Every once in a while, I wonder if we wouldn't be better off going back to paper and pencil.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary on a palimpsest

Actually HERO designer seems to slow us down. Only the computer geek in our crowd uses it and he spends a lot of time fighting with the software while we are creating.

That is what I ended up doing. As best I can tell, HD is following the rules as they are written on this. I can not find a rule in the book that makes the power become a mental power. ECR states that it can only be applied to mental powers. HD is enforcing that rule. My concern was if I was missing something in the book, not if HD is doing anything right or wrong.

La Rose.

Indeed, while the Books version of Eye Contact Required has built in specifications - there really isn't anything in the rules actually stopping you from putting the same words onto any power and you and the GM knowing what's going on. The opposite in fact, the book itself encourages you to play the game as you want to play it.

Actually HERO designer seems to slow us down. Only the computer geek in our crowd uses it and he spends a lot of time fighting with the software while we are creating.

Really? Do you use alternate characteristics? Because I'll challenge anyone my Hero Designer against their pen and paper to see who's done first. Granted I do have a few prefabs to make my life easier, that others may not (I converted the entire Ultimate Martial Artist to a prefab), but even without those I'm lightyears faster with HD than without it.