Needs multiple foci to function at all?

In my fantasy campaign, the magic system requires the use of magic gems to do spells. I need to build the spells so that they will only function if they have say, all three required gems. If they only have two gems, no dice. Is it simply an added note on the focus limitation and an increase to the value of the limitation or should it be addressed on the accessability of the foci?

Re: Needs multiple foci to function at all?

An Accessible focus is 'one' that is easily taken away. A focus with 3 parts all required would be more 'accessible', certainly note it but I wouldn't give it an additional focus limitation unless this is in the rules you are using, under 'Focus'. If not, you could use a custom limitation, the old 'limited power- you decide the value.

Offhand or 'IMO', I'd say it's not worth additional points, unless your more likely to drop or lose a gem somehow, then that would happen, for a 'properly played limitation' put whatever limitations you'd like on a power. Then it becomes the GM's responsibility to make sure the limit limits the power with actual mechanics.

Re: Needs multiple foci to function at all?

I would not say that it was more (or less) accessible necessarily BUT it has the potential to be harder to recover the focus if it is removed or destroyed (if three different people have a bit of the focus or if three bits are destroyed, recovery or replacement could take longer). That is worth probably -1/4 more (-0 to -1/2, depending on precise game effects), if the GM wants to allow it and adjust things accordingly.

I'd be tempted to have each gem have a power of its own and an enhanced power (or a new one) in combination with the others.