Adventurer's Club Adventures

bryanb

Hi Folks,

An online store has available several issues of the old "Adventurer's Club" magazine for sale. I am interested in purchasing the issues that have Champions Adventures/Scenarios (see Steve there is a market for adventures) but they are quite pricey.

I was wondering if anyone has read/played any of the following and if they had could they please give me a small review:

Adventurer's Club #1 - The Mechanon Gambit (they are charging an arm and a leg for this - is it any good?)

Adventurer's Club #3 - Terror in the Treasures

Adventurer's Club #4 - Nova

Adventurer's Club #18 - Unspecified Champions adventure

Adventurer's Club #20 - Unspecified Champions adventure

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

One thing that you want to remember when dealing with AC adventures is that most are rather short, one or two game sessions at the most. The best ones leave potential for future plots, though. Also, the adventures in early AC issues, and the characters presented, are somewhat simplistic by contemporary standards. You can always substitute current incarnations of these characters, or your own original creations.

"The Mechanon Gambit" requires your heroes to thwart a plan by Pulsar to raid one of Mechanon's laboratory bases. It features moderately detailed (albeit small) hex maps of the laboratory and of a municipal airport. Very straightforward.

"Terror in the Treasures" is a more sophisticated, involving a plot by several occult/monstrous villains (including Slug and Black Paladin) to steal a potent mystic artifact from a museum, and suggesting a few spinoff plots. The museum is mapped out somewhat sketchily.

"Nova" is a race for your heroes to beat two rival villain teams (one of them Eurostar, another featuring Firewing) to the site of a crashed alien spacecraft and its surviving occupant. It presents more options and permutations for the GM to play with, including environmental complications to the rescue.

The adventure in AC 18, "The House that Jack Built," is IMHO the gem of this selection. It's a supernatural/comedy adventure in a truly unique haunted house, written by To Serve and Protect author Scott Heine and featuring one of the Protectors, Dr. Wraithe, and some of his DNPCs/supporting cast. A really fun adventure, and the characters and house have potential for recurring use.

AC 20's adventure, "Zip Zap Guns," is fairly solid, but probably better suited to street-level superheroes than full four-color types. It revolves around VIPER's selling of advanced (but defective) weaponry to street gangs. Unlike the other adventures it's designed as several small encounters building to a climactic confrontation, so the encounters could be interspaced with unrelated scenarios over several play sessions.

Hope that helps. :)

Originally posted by Bartman

That was AC 3. The adventure was "What Rough Beast." And its author has put it up online for free here.

I have the entire run of AC, as far as I know anyway. There are some good Champions run as well as some Fantasy Hero runs. I ran one of the MERP runs in the back for FH this last weekend. It worked out well.

Actually...

Originally posted by Bartman

That was AC 3. The adventure was "What Rough Beast." And its author has put it up online for free

I just happened to dig out all my old AC's over the weekend, and Starcorp Man has it right. It was issue #2. I would have to agree with some others on this thread, though, and say that my favorite was "Terror in the Treasures." Not because the plot was so great, but because the Overstreet Museum is such a great idea for a location. I've used it several times.

Re: Actually...

Originally posted by Phraze

I just happened to dig out all my old AC's over the weekend, and Starcorp Man has it right. It was issue #2. I would have to agree with some others on this thread, though, and say that my favorite was "Terror in the Treasures." Not because the plot was so great, but because the Overstreet Museum is such a great idea for a location. I've used it several times.

Thank you :) Terror also added more items for Slug, that enhance his abilities (since I still use the ankh carrying slug.)

Issue 7 has a good one, raid on blackgulch

Originally posted by Phraze

Hmm. Someone should drop the Morpheus Unbound a note then. I was just going by their claim that it was "originally published in Adventurer's Club #3, 1983." It has been a decade or more since I've seen a copy of the first dozen or so ACs.