02. ‘Equipment’ Powers

MistWing

Is this legal? I don’t see why it wouldn’t be, but there has been some questions about it in my group.

I can build a device that combines a computer, some sensors, and one or more other powers (ex: telekinesis). Can I make a power in the same fashion? Obviously, I wouldn’t get the cost benefit that I would get if it were a device (either equipment or through a focus). However, my intent is to make a power that I can set off and it can perform a complex set of actions without my input. For example, I might make a TK power that I can program in advance and then, while it’s doing what I told it to do, I can be doing something else.

Assuming that this is legal, should it have the Uncontrolled advantage on it? On the one hand, it’s acting independently of me. On the other hand, I have a certain degree of control over it (to include an ‘off switch’)

Thanks

MistWing SilverTail

Hmm... interesting question.

I think the answer will depend partly on what you would define as a "complex action." Any Continuous Power like Telekinesis will continue to operate in a simple mode (push, hold etc.) without your direct attention as long as you pay END for the Power, and you can certainly add Persistent and/or Uncontrolled so that it will function even if your character is incapacitated. Complicated tasks like attacking new opponents, operating machinery or constructing objects normally require some type of conscious direction, though.

When I've seen a "two actions at the same time" character, it's been done by buying the equivalent of a computer for the character according to the rules for computers on pp. 312-13 of the 5E rulebook - essentially a separate character that shares the same body. The SFX of this can range from implanted cybernetic components to a second consciousness or "spirit" in the character's body. I suppose a preprogammable power could fit this as well. You could then give whatever Power this consciousness controls the "Usable by Others" Advantage so that it can employ it while the main character does something else.

Buy an appropriately built Automaton defined as "Power Contruct", or a Summon to bring into affect a character sheet limited so that it can only take certain actions, but can take them in any order. Alternately, you could buy a Duplication to do the same thing, but then youd have to pay the "Duplicate is totally different" overhead.

I think a Linked Summon for a Computer brain to control the (possibly Triggered) power might work. I would say just buy the Computer, but you would need a different one for each spell, right? (I don't think you could both divide the points for the Computer by 5, and divide that by 5 for the Summon--only the second should be done.)