Tracking vs. Tracking (Huh?)

Gemphyre

This question makes more sense than you might think. I have 5th Ed. rules, and I have not had a chance or the money to get 6th yet, so please keep your answers to 5th Ed.

There is a character in my campaign who is an "champion" of Artemis. She has some points available, and thinking of upping some powers and skills.

My question is, what is the relationship between the Tracking Skill, and the Tracking Enhanced Sense Adder. They both allow one to follow identified prey on successful perception rolls. And I imagine that most people have seen enough XMen to have seen instances where Wolverine tracks people by scent.

Would the Tracking Enhanced Sense complement the Tracking Skill? Would you be required to make the sense roll to have a chance at the skill roll or not? What if you get the sense roll and miss the skill roll? Or miss the sense roll and make the skill roll?

How would these answers change if the Tracking Sense was something that a normal person could not detect, like magic, or mental powers (Mental Awareness w/ Tracking), or a mutant?

Thank you for your answers.

Gemphyre

Re: Tracking vs. Tracking (Huh?)

Tracking skill allows you you follow a 'trail' left by someone based on your normal senses (usually Sight). It also allows you to obscure your own trail, making it harder for others to track you.

A Tracking Sense allows you to follow someone based solely on the impression left that is detectable by that sense. It not necessarily complimentary though, I would consider it more of an alternative method. (I've obscured my trail to the point that you cannot Track (skill) me, yet my pesky scent allows you to continue the chase. Or, I followed the stream to throw the dogs off my trail (Sense), yet my footprints in the mud show you where I exited the water(Skill)). It might be complimentary if you have Infrared Perception w/Tracking (see final sentence in post).

My answers with regard to 'special' senses would not change. To Track something you have to be able to detect it, and the Tracking Skill is simply the Sight Group 'version' of Tracking Sense.

Re: Tracking vs. Tracking (Huh?)

Would the Tracking Enhanced Sense complement the Tracking Skill? Would you be required to make the sense roll to have a chance at the skill roll or not? What if you get the sense roll and miss the skill roll? Or miss the sense roll and make the skill roll?

I think Daltwisney did a good job of differentiating the two. I'd say a successful PER roll on the Sense would be complementary to the Skill, but generally not vice versa. However, if someone failed his Tracking Skill roll, I might allow a successful Tracking Sense PER roll to allow him to make another Tracking Skill roll to re-acquire the trail (at a slight penalty).