Turakian and Valdorian Age in 6E?

Thanee

Hiyas!

The setting books for FH 5E, namely The Turakian Age and The Valdorian Age look interesting, but how useful will they be, when I never play 5E but only 6E (have played 3E/4E before)?

Would it make more sense to wait for them to get reprinted for 6E or is the material presented in a way, that the underlying rules are less of an issue?

Bye

Thanee

Re: Turakian and Valdorian Age in 6E?

Well, Steve Long has no plans to revise either book for 6E in the foreseeable future, so it will be a long time, if ever, before 6E versions of them are available.

The vast majority of information in both books is background to the settings, which is almost wholly system independent; so if you were interested in them for ideas to crib from, or as potential settings for your own games, that stuff will be usable regardless of which edition you play.

Both games present a number of pre-written templates for PC classes and/or races. They also include a number of magic spells suitable to the setting: those in The Turakian Age are similar to the spell examples in the Fantasy HERO Grimoire(s) (which were in fact written with TA in mind), while The Valdorian Age describes its own unique magic system. These elements, should you wish to use them, aren't difficult to convert from 5E to 6E, particularly if as you suggest you're already familiar with 4E -- the differences between 4E and 5E are minimal.

I hope that's helpful. Please post any further questions you may have. :)

Re: Turakian and Valdorian Age in 6E?

As I understand it, the fantasy settings won't be upgraded to 6ED. But the changes aren't that huge -- you could probably run a conversion in your head during play, if you are fluent enough with the rules. I recommend the settings as settings, regardless of game system.