My replacement for Find Weakness

incrdbil

I was redoing Fiacho, and there it was sitting, 25 points of former Find Weakness, now just gathering dust. I wanted to make Fiacho fearsome again.

At first I tried a multiplepower, with hth damage, NND hth damage, and HKA with requires skill roll. Workable.

But then, i recalled my usage of skill levels..especially trading them in for Damage Classes.

So, I gave Fiacho the Analyze Combat skill, and then this.

+8 with a large group of attacks (Martial Arts); Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2)

So, he can have up to 4 extra damage classes on his attacks, or 2 DC's and +4 levels..or simply +4 OCV/DCV based off his skill roll result. Making the roll exactly gives him 2 levels, by 2 gives him 4, by 4 gives him 6, and by 6 gives him all eight.

It adds something old find weakness didn't have, allowing the extra OCV/DCV option instead of just adding damage.

Lots of ways to do it, really. The joy of being freed from a rule....

EDIT: just thought--maybe an extra 1/4th limitation for the skill roll having to be made per different opponent.

Or leave it as it is--if you fight a group of fighters who all fight the same way, (the same amrtial arts style) the one skill roll might be all you need.

Re: My replacement for Find Weakness

I was redoing Fiacho, and there is was sitting. 25 points of former Find Weakness, now just gathering dust. i wanted to make fiach fearsome again.

At first I tried a multiplepower, with hth damage, NND hth damage, and HKA with requires skill roll. workable.

but then, i recalled my usage of skill levels..especially trading them in for Damage Classes.

So, I gave Fiacho the analyze Combat skill, and then this.

+8 with a large group of attacks (Martial Arts); Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2)

So, he can have up to 4 extra damage classes on his attacks, or 2 DC's and +4 levels..or simply +4 OV/DCV based off his skill roll result. Making the roll exactly gives him 2 levels, by 2 gives him 4, by 4 gives him 6, and by 6 gives him all eight.

It adds something old find weakness didn't have, allowing the extra OCV/DCV option instead of just adding damage.

EDIT: just thought--maybe an extra 1/4th limitation for the skill roll having to be made per different opponent.

Or leave it as it is--if you fight a group of fighters who all fight the same way, (the same amrtial arts style) the one skill roll might be all you need.

Sounds cool, I've been trying APx2 RSR (say Analyze Combat style) or no RSR at all ...I think I'll take alook at doing it this way as well....

Nice way of doing it - I like that it allows you to find the weakness in a speedster's dodging (+OCV), or even find the weakness in their offense. I think that "Must activate separately for each fighting style" is still worth -1/4, even if groups of foes often use the same one - it does prevent you from activating it before combat.

So, he can have up to 4 extra damage classes on his attacks, or 2 DC's and +4 levels..or simply +4 OV/DCV based off his skill roll result. Making the roll exactly gives him 2 levels, by 2 gives him 4, by 4 gives him 6, and by 6 gives him all eight.

Elegant solution. I like it. Actually, I was never a fan of FW, so I actually like it more than the original. I never liked the stacking element of FW and this feels to be a better approximation of finding a soft spot... you do more damage, but it does not allow you to use a pencil to carve open a bank vault if you make your roll enough times.

What value do you give the limitation that hitting the roll exactly is 2 levels, by 2, 4, etc.?

Reminds me that I need to brush up on levels for DCs etc.