Activation / RSR; where can I get a real activation?

ender42

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74035

Talked about how RSR and Activation (in 5E) are almost the same. And I'd come to the same conclusion, because I'm looking for a real activation roll.

Yes, I'm not sure if something will activate. But that really shouldn't have anything to do with whether it continues running. Can you get the junked motorcycle to startup? Yes, that needs a roll. Might work this time, might not. But if the engine is otherwise fine, you wouldn't expect to have to keep rolling for it, *every* Phase. Hmm, not an Activation Roll then.

RSR? Well, I guess we could give the motorcycle its own skill... Uggh.

I'm using increasing and decreasing activations as limitations as a house rule.

Re: Activation / RSR; where can I get a real activation?

Many limitations use "only to activate" at half the limitation of a limitation that applies each time the power is used. It would seem reasonable to apply this to Activation and RSR.

Of course, that leaves the question of whether the default limitation should be "to activate" (double it if you need to roll every phase) or "to use each phase" (halve it if it's only to activate).

Requires A Roll is only made once - upon Activation. This is the default condition and fits your needs.

6E1 page 390 "Roll Frequency"

edit: sorry, misred editions.

Also for things like Vehicle Engines that are unreliable I suggest Physical Limitation: requires roll to start unreliable engine.

Or for 5E just decrease the Activation Roll by 1/4

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74035

Talked about how RSR and Activation (in 5E) are almost the same. And I'd come to the same conclusion, because I'm looking for a real activation roll.

Yes, I'm not sure if something will activate. But that really shouldn't have anything to do with whether it continues running. Can you get the junked motorcycle to startup? Yes, that needs a roll. Might work this time, might not. But if the engine is otherwise fine, you wouldn't expect to have to keep rolling for it, *every* Phase. Hmm, not an Activation Roll then.

RSR? Well, I guess we could give the motorcycle its own skill... Uggh.

I'm using increasing and decreasing activations as limitations as a house rule.

How about Requires a Driving Skill roll? It make sense that someone who knows motorcycles would have a better chance to Start a cantankerous engine quickly. You make the skill roll and the engine runs till you shut it down or something else causes it to shut down. I have actually had vehicles that wouldn't start unless you knew the sequence of Pumping the Gas petal, how much to depress it while you hit the starter, and how much throttle to give the engine when it does catch to keep the engine running.