speeding up character creation v0.01

redner

Re: speeding up character creation v0.01

Very White Wolf-ish, but not that bad. I'd suggest clearing up PD, ED, REC and END so they reads exactly like others on cost; this would also let you remove all of the notes.

It'd be great if there were an easier way to hide away the costs - I've also started putting them all at the left side of the page, that way I can tell new players to ignore that column in play.

Cut the blank lines to two or three characters.

You need room for characteristic rolls, it really helps newer players to have it written close by.

Consider putting running, leaping and swimming on the page.

Very White Wolf-ish' date=' but not that bad.[/quote']

Thanks, but...

My intent was to create a worksheet for new players to fill out and not replace the HERO's character sheet.

I copied White Wolf's technique in determining stats because it's very visual and understandable. The numbers below each slots are based on the Characteristic Maxima (6E1 50). GMs should change them base on what power level they want their games to be. IE, GMs can scale their games. With this slot technique, players don't need to know the numbers just yet. They just need to infer that 1 checked slot means normal, and all 6 slots filled means something great.

BTW, the "#per" means to count the number of checked slots (excluding the ones that's already checked by the sheet(those are the default values)) and multiply by the #. This would give you the total cost of the set. Also, the reason I chose 6 slots for each characteristics (except for SPD) is because it just feels right. I think it's because of HERO's use of the D6 die. But it's not written in stone. I may have to use 10 slots for Superheroic High-Powered level, but keep the rate of change an even slope. As you can see, the slopes are different in my END and STUN, but even.

-

I've done similar before (when converting WoD characters actually), but used a simple 4 Characteristic points per dot. That works roughly both for "normal human" values of two dots (Char 8) and "human maximum" of five dots (Char 20). The "default" costs turn out to be negative, but this can be fixed simply by "giving more points to spend". I did it in 5E. I see things might be a little simpler now.

Hmmmm? Call me a curmudgeon but the stuff you covered with this work sheet is the part of character creation that takes me 2 minutes anyway. I do think you've made it more visual which some players can understand better. In general I think it is a herculean effort to simplify the game for new players.

I find the easiest way to introduce players to the game is to create the character for them. Then after they have some play time under their belt and know a little better what the numbers mean they know what choices they want to make let them make their own. Some people I have introduced to the system go cross eyed when presented with all the options... Maybe you could work up some system where you limit the powers and advantages and limitations the characters have access to. I realize that this would ruin some of the flexibility of the game but it would help new players get acclimated to making the kinds of choices you need to make in character creation.

Maybe you could work up some system where you limit the powers and advantages and limitations the characters have access to. I realize that this would ruin some of the flexibility of the game but it would help new players get acclimated to making the kinds of choices you need to make in character creation.

K. Here's my attempt.

I'm liking it. If I were doing it I might go a little further. Make the range on each of the "primary" Characteristics (STR through PRE) four dots, and start each character with two (maybe with a separator to emphasize that those first ones are free). Each dot is 5 in the Characteristic. I went with that number because they mainly work on 5 point breakpoints; the number of dots in your STR is how many dice you do in hand-to-hand. Same with PRE Attacks. Want to find your DEX Skill Rolls? Add 9 to the number of dots. Same with PER rolls and INT and PRE Skills.

Yeah, seems that 5 is the magic number. I was looking at White Wolf's Street Fighter game and saw that they use 5 dots. Also, Savage Worlds uses 5 die types for their attributes (d4, d6, d8, d10, and d12). So, I re-did my doc to use 5 dots.

Remove the first four directions, you can put (Pick #) to the left of each section. You might put the cost per dot at the right edge, for those who want to shift dots amongst sets.

If you have an everyman / recommended skill set, you could include it. And simply do one or two dots per skill - no dots for not possessing / minimal, one for competent, two for excellent.

Dots notation is a simple easy way to do Complications. Two rows, one for frequency, one for severity, and a blank line to detail the specifics.

Tell me when I'm getting annoying. I'll stop uploading my crap. I think everyone got the gist of my attempt on simplifying character creation. I think someone else can do it better.

Anyway, here's my latest attempt.