Random Subplots

BoloOfEarth

Like many GMs, my Champions adventures tend to have plots aimed at or involving the whole team, and often have foreshadowing of future plotlines. But I also try to introduce minor subplots for individual characters each session, mainly to flesh out their characters and make them less two-dimensional. These subplots may or may not become important in later sessions (generally based on how the players react to them).

But lately I seem to fall into ruts, doing the same sort of stuff to the same PCs. So I put together some Random Subplot tables, and thought I'd share them here for feedback and suggestions. (Who knows, maybe someone else will find them useful, too.) The attached PDF has the tables, since formatting them for inclusion within this thread seemed more trouble than it's worth. They're all based on d6 rolls (this *is* for Hero, after all). The selections are a bit general, since I'd want to tailor the subplot to the individual character.

First, you roll whether it's Interpersonal (1-2), Activity (3-4) or related to Costumed Identity (5-6). [Note that the first two categories also include a chance to involve Costumed Identity, though they're generally meant more for Secret IDs.] Then you roll on the appropriate set of tables. After deciding the specifics of the subplot, you can choose to roll on the Media Coverage table for ideas on if/how outsiders will learn of the subplot.

So, any gaping holes in my selections? Huge biases? Minor changes?

Re: Random Subplots

As an example, for Styx (the hero team's back-from-the-dead regenerating semi-brick) I rolled 4 (Activities), 3 (Play), 1 (Minor Activity Begins), 1 (Very Good Effect). Since he's been flirting on and off with Witchcraft (of the Champions) for the past three sessions, I decided that she relents to go on a date with him, asking him to accompany her to a museum opening in Millennium City. Surprisingly, nobody will attack the museum and they'll have a very nice time together.

Since Styx doesn't know Witchcraft in secret ID, I decided her attendance will be a publicity thing for the Champions, so they'll both be in costumes. And it would definately have media coverage. I rolled 3 (Opinion piece), 4 (Broadcast - national TV), 6 (Blatant Attack). So the next day, I'll have a news commentator rip into the couple, implying they are practicing "God only knows what kind of dark magic rituals. Styx claims to be a 'dead man walking.' Gee, I wonder how he got that way…. Can you say necromancy? I bet you can."

I should add that the GM should feel free to ignore or change any result if he thinks something else would work better.

Also, the "Effect" or "Aftermath" should not be taken as fixed, but rather as a general suggestion. If you rolled "Very Bad" on a subplot's effect, but the player does some excellent roleplaying to turn things in his favor, that expected effect could be mitigated or even changed completely. I'd consider it no more than a guideline.

As an example, for Styx (the hero team's back-from-the-dead regenerating semi-brick) I rolled 4 (Activities), 3 (Play), 1 (Minor Activity Begins), 1 (Very Good Effect). Since he's been flirting on and off with Witchcraft (of the Champions) for the past three sessions, I decided that she relents to go on a date with him, asking him to accompany her to a museum opening in Millennium City. Surprisingly, nobody will attack the museum and they'll have a very nice time together.

Since Styx doesn't know Witchcraft in secret ID, I decided her attendance will be a publicity thing for the Champions, so they'll both be in costumes. And it would definately have media coverage. I rolled 3 (Opinion piece), 4 (Broadcast - national TV), 6 (Blatant Attack). So the next day, I'll have a news commentator rip into the couple, implying they are practicing "God only knows what kind of dark magic rituals. Styx claims to be a 'dead man walking.' Gee, I wonder how he got that way…. Can you say necromancy? I bet you can."

"Cats & Dogs... Oh, the Humanity!" :eg:

If he has problems with Witchcraft, what would he make of Talisman on her 'down time'?

I think your subplot generator is very well thought out. And it can be used for out-of-game story threading. I definitely plan on using this.

Should you decide to "beta" the PDF by adding basic instructions and your usage examples, I would be very interested in downloading that version as well. I also think you should put your name on it. Credit should go where credit is due.

And maybe Steve and the others will put this in the 6e version of the genre book for Champions.

Props :thumbup:

Here is an excel spreadsheet that takes BoloofEarth's excellent charts and automates them...

Just extract the .xls file from the .zip file... open the .xls file in Excel and each time you manually recalc the sheet you get a new subplot...

Please note that the Costume Identity Details and Media results will only appear when the generated results call for them.

Seconded. This is the kind of useful little thing that makes life a lot easier for a GM.

It helps to make a break from the tired old "Oh, I just rolled your 8- Hunted. Smash-man just kicks in your kitchen wall & wants to go ten rounds with you."

And the fact that there is a Media Coverage table helps with fallout from the adventures themselves. The last campaign I ran (a while back I'm ashamed to admit) I would write up short ariticals about what the public knew and spin it either positively or negatively. This could potentially do half of the work for me in that regard.

And as for using it for Hunteds and DNPC's, rolling on the chart each time for each Hunted/DNPC that shows up will definitely provide some options - especially when one character has both his DNPC and his Hunter show up in the same adventure. I can easily see romantic DNCP's briefly dating the Hunter or the Hunter somehow finds the link between the DNPC his quarry and kidnapping said DNPC. Cliche, but if it aint broke why fix it?

Here is an excel spreadsheet that takes BoloofEarth's excellent charts and automates them...

Just extract the .xls file from the .zip file... open the .xls file in Excel and each time you manually recalc the sheet you get a new subplot...

Please note that the Costume Identity Details and Media results will only appear when the generated results call for them.

Very cool, and great work! I've repped you too recently, I'll need to hit you with some once it lets me do so again. Many thanks!

(For those not proficient with Excel, F9 will reselect the subplot.)

Should you decide to "beta" the PDF by adding basic instructions and your usage examples' date=' I would be very interested in downloading that version as well.[/quote']

Well, here is the full page of examples I did for this Sunday's game. A lot of the actual details were based on past activity with the PCs. (For instance, Sentinel recently got married and is concerned about having a baby, what with having radiation powers and all. Lifeline is a healing mutant / doctor, a 4th edition holdover in my game world.) Some of the details might not make total sense to someone not familiar with the characters, so I apologize in advance for any confusion.

And many thanks for the kind comments, and extra kudos to concord for the spreadsheet. I'm glad it will (hopefully) be useful to others. To tell the truth, I hadn't thought of using these tables in relation to Hunteds and DNPCs, but it makes perfect sense.