55 STUN 0

8" RUN 0

6" SWIM 0

10" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 135

Cost Power

4 Scuttle: Running +2" (8" total)

4 Lobstering: Swimming +4" (6" total)

40 Crab Shell: Armor (25 PD/15 ED) (60 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)

5 Lobster Lungs: Life Support (Expanded Breathing) [Notes: Breathe Underwater]

3 Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold)

10 Calling All Crabs: Summon 16 1-point Crustraceans, Loyal (+1/2) (31 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Only Works Near The Ocean (-1), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2)

10 Mind Link , Animal class of minds, Any Willing Target, Number of Minds (x16) (35 Active Points); Conditional Power Power Only Works Near The Ocean (-1), Concentration (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -3/4), Limited Class Of Minds Crustaceans (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

15 Little Claw: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR)

60 Big Claw: Multipower, 60-point reserve

6u 1) Pinch: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points)

6u 2) Squeeze: Energy Blast 12d6, STUN Only (+0) (60 Active Points)

6u 3) Crush: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points)

Powers Cost: 169

Cost Skill

3 Bureaucratics 12-

2 Computer Programming (Personal Computers) 13-

3 Conversation 12-

5 Cramming

3 Deduction 13-

2 KS: Military World 11-

2 CK: San Diego 11-

0 Language: English (idiomatic)

3 Persuasion 12-

6 PS: Scientist 16-

3 Scientist

3 1) SS: Carcinology 14- (4 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Invertebrate Zoology 13- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Marine Biology 13- (3 Active Points)

2 4) SS: Marine Biotechnology 13- (3 Active Points)

2 5) SS: Oceanography 13- (3 Active Points)

Skills Cost: 43

Cost Talent

3 Environmental Movement (no penalties while in water)

Talents Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Red Lobster: Accidental Change: Armor activates when embarrassed 14- (Common)

10 Clawful: Distinctive Features: Crab claw instead of left hand (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Navy Blues: Distinctive Features: Uniform (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 In The Navy: Hunted: Navy 8- (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)

10 Crabby Davis Eyes: Physical Limitation: Nearsighted (Infrequently; Greatly Impairing)

5 I Am Not A Cannibal!: Psychological Limitation: Won't Eat Crustaceans (Uncommon; Moderate)

15 Gets His Claws Into Everything: Psychological Limitation: Curious (Common; Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Thrillseeker (Common; Strong)

5 How Can You Eat That?: Social Limitation: Ridicules anyone he sees eating crab or lobster (Occasionally; Minor)

15 Hides In His Shell: Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently; Major)

20 Aye Aye, Captain: Social Limitation: Subject To Orders (Very Frequently; Major)

20 Boiled Alive: Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Heat and Fire (Common)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Background/History: Don Travers wanted to be a marine biologist ever since he saw a documentary about Jacques Cousteau. The variety of marine life fascinated Don, even though he was afraid of the water. Having had nightmares about drowning for years, he'd never learned to swim and couldn't stand the idea of being in the water with any type of sea creature so he decided to concentrate on studying the animals that live in tidepools and along the shore.

Don eventually attended the University of San Diego, where he earned a degree in marine biology, with an emphasis on biotechnology, invertebrate zoology, and carcinology - the study of crustaceans. His master's thesis, written about the possibility of genetically engineering larger crustaceans in order to improve the world's food supply, brought him to the atttention of the U.S. Navy, which had recently begun Project Triton.

Project Triton was an attempt to create a super sailor by giving a human the powers of marine animals. Their goal was to recreate abilities such as the dexterity and intelligence of dolphins, the teeth and electroreception of sharks, the camoflauge and malleability of molluscs, and the claws and armor of crustaceans. Which is where Don came in. As head of the crustacean department, he was given access to the latest scientific technology, the Navy's extensive database, and an almost unlimited budget. After two years of research, Don had succeeded in making lab rats grow shells and claws and was closing in on a formula that he hoped would duplicate his results in a human being.

Unaware that the Navy already had a group of volunteers lined up, Don decided to play Dr. Jekyl and injected himself with the chemical he had developed. It's doubtful that he would have turned his formula over to be used on these test subjects even if he had known about them because he'd been obsessed with comic books even before he'd become fascinated with the sea and had always wanted to be a superhero. Fortunately, his formula worked better than he'd expected, giving him incredible strength, a shell that he can activate at will, a small claw in place of his left hand, a large telekinetic claw, and the ability to communicate with crabs.

The Navy was angry with Don's decision to use his formula on himself and revoked his labratory priveliges. Another scientist was given Don's position, to study and hopefully recreate his results. However, since Don's project was the first to show results and he was now superpowered instead of having died a horrible death, the Navy made Don an honorary Captain and a comission as the first military sponsored superhero.

Personality/Motivation: Don is extremely curious, especially about his own powers. He can't understand why he has telekinetic and telepathic powers, since the crabs he's studied have never exhibited signs of having similar abilities. Thanks to his ability to breathe underwater, he's no longer afraid of the ocean and spends hours at a time underwater, studying crabs and lobsters in their natural environment in hopes of discovering if they have any mental powers of their own. Spending so much time with them and becoming part crustacean himself has given him a new perspective. He no longer eats crab or lobster and will ridicule anyone he sees eating them. (Although he hasn't done so yet, it's possible that he might start releasing crustaceans kept in tanks at restaurants and supermarkets.) He also seeks out dangerous situations, doing things he never would have thought of before since his new powers keep him safe. However, he's still baffled by social situations because of spending so many years in labs and his embarrassment often leads to the activation of his shell. Which endangers his secret identity when in public. Because of this, he rarely interacts with people and spends most of his free time in the ocean or at home reading comics.

Quote: "It's clawberin' time!"

Powers/Tactics: Don was never a fighter before becoming a superhero, so it's going to be a while before he gets used to the idea that his armor and high strength enable him to go toe to toe with villains in combat. Right now he relies mainly on his telekinetic claw, which allows him to keep his distance from enemies. He starts most fights by using the big claw's telekinetic ability to throw things then follows that up by either squeezing or crushing enemies. (Not wanting to kill anybody, he prefers to use the less damaging squeeze on normal crooks, saving the crush attack for supervillains.) For now, his little claw is a last resort; he only uses it when his enemies manage to get within hand to claw combat range.

Campaign Use: Captain Crustacean's knowledge of the ocean and his aquatic abilities make him an ideal ally for any superhero team going on an underwater adventure. To make him a recurring character, have a Navy doctor discover that Don's transformation is incomplete - he's slowly turning into a giant crab. (Hero System Bestiary pg. 46.) It's up to the PCs to convince the Navy to allow Don access to his old lab and equipment and then to help him track down whatever materials he needs for his research, which should include rare items located deep within the ocean. As well as the natural dangers of the sea, the PCs will also have to confront whatever supervillains would rather see Captain Crustacean degenerate into a mindless animal than have him around as a major threat to their plans.

Appearance: Before his transformation, Don was the kind of person who goes unnoticed in a crowd. Average height and weight, with brown hair and brown eyes, the only remarkable things about him were his labcoat and glasses. But he only wore his labcoat in the lab, where it was inconspicuos, and millions of people wear glasses. Now he stands 6' 2" tall, weighs in at 272 lbs., and has given up his glasses in favor of contacts. He wears a bandage around his left hand - telling anyone who asks about it that he sprained his wrist - and a Navy captain's uniform that doubles as his costume.

Thanks to Split Decision, whose plea for a superhero name led me to suggest Captain Crustacean.

Special thanks to Revenant and Hawksmoor SD for answering my questions and making suggestions, not to mention fixing my mistakes.

Re: Captain Crustacean

LOL! I like it' date=' especially the disadvantage descriptions (Hides in his shell, etc.)![/quote']

Thanks. :)

I'd like to take full credit for the disadvantage descriptions but I stole a couple from Revenant, who kept cracking jokes while he helped me build the character.

How about a follow-up character...RED LOBSTER!!!

Since I used both crab and lobster abilities for Captain Crustacean, I don't think I'll make another superhero character named Red Lobster. But I do have a lobster monster I'm working on that I don't have a name for. So Red Lobster it is. :thumbup:

Is he an ally of Suicide Squid? ;)

:D Split Decision suggested that he should have a sidekick named Squid Kid and I really liked the idea but had to drop it, partly because I didn't have enough points to give him a sidekick and still give him the powers I wanted him to have. As it is, he's missing a few things that I'll add later if I ever get a chance to play him. The other reason I did away with Squid Kid (he's in a better place now) is that I found the character Kid Squid while looking for squid related builds to...borrow.

Seeing that you mentioned Suicide Squid in that thread too, I googled his name to see if he was a real character. (Because I wanted to steal the name. :o) Too bad that he is - sorta - because I want to go ahead and build a squid themed character and don't know what to call him now that Suicide Squid is out. He won't be a sidekick so Squid Kid won't work either. I know, I'll call him Doctor Octopus. No, wait, that's been done before. Cthulhu? Naw, Lovecraft beat me to it. Admiral Ackbar? No, he wasn't a squid and, anyway, George Lucas would sue me. The search continues.

When does he team up with Sewer Urchin from The Tick?

"No alligators down here, the lobsters ate 'em. Here, have some lemon juice."

I had completely forgotten about Sewer Urchin. He's the apotheosis of cool.

"Did he say apotheosis?"

*Crosses his fingers, hoping that it was Sewer Urchin that said apotheosis.*

He can't understand why he has telekinetic and telepathic powers' date=' since the crabs he's studied have never exhibited signs of having similar abilities.[/quote']

Because he was rolled up in Villains & Vigilantes? :D

I swear, about one in four of my V&V characters ended up with Crustacean Powers, plus at least one or two utterly non-crustacean related abilities.

Because he was rolled up in Villains & Vigilantes? :D

I swear, about one in four of my V&V characters ended up with Crustacean Powers, plus at least one or two utterly non-crustacean related abilities.

Hmmm. Sounds like I should get a copy of Villains and Vigilantes. :P

Sadly' date=' I no longer have a copy of that character sheet. That was back in '93-'94. I do remember he had super-strength, a Green Lobstermobile, and a Buck Rogers ray gun. How he used it with his claws I don't remember.[/quote']

Super strength? Sure, that's normal for crustacean heroes. :D But a Green Lobstermobile and Buck Rogers ray gun? :rofl:That's hilarious! It's a shame that he's no longer with us.