Attack powers usable with Move-Bys and Move-Throughs?

Wyld

One of my players wants to build a one-hex AoE into his Move-By/Move-Through, so that he's basically sure to hit his target.

I thought about building it using a Naked Advantage into his STR, but how would that affect the damage from the maneuver? Would it add in?

Then I thought about building it through an Energy Blast, but can you use powers during a Move-By or Move-Through?

Some advice would be appreciated. The power should not be more than 60 Active Points and should not do more than 12d6 damage.

Thanks,

Sir Grail

Re: Attack powers usable with Move-Bys and Move-Throughs?

I'd allow a player to do this by buying a Naked Advantage sufficient to cover the damage of the moveby/movethrough, including the velocity dice - if they bought it with the Accurate advantage (ie, AOE 1m radius, Accurate for +1/2).

I'd allow a player to do this by buying a Naked Advantage sufficient to cover the damage of the moveby/movethrough' date=' including the velocity dice - if they bought it with the Accurate advantage (ie, AOE 1m radius, Accurate for +1/2).[/quote']

That's probably how I would do it too, purchase a Naked Advantage to cover the entire damage of the attack.

However, I would first urge the player to simplify with a couple of Move By/Thru CSLs.

Something to consider in this case is that we already have a precedent of sorts. Namely, Huge and larger characters get Area of Effect on their STR as part of their template. So...can they perform Move Bys and Move Throughs with that?

The answer to that question might affect this one as well.

I have thoroughly read and read move-by. Not so much move through. I have sent a question or two to Steve, and his answers reinforced the text of the books. Move-by can be done with either Strength or a Weapon. Furthermore, Move Through specifically says that it can't be done with attacks that represent an HTH Combat effect (6e2 72) unless they are weapons. You might use some advantaged version of Strength only if the GM can analogize it to a weapon. No Range powers are only valid if common sense indicates they are a weapon. One question I asked Steve, is a magic wand that requires touch a weapon, and he replied no. Consider Martial Manuevers, correct me if I'm wrong but they aren't allowed in a Move-by either. An AOE advantage on Strength can easily be analogized as a Martial Effect and would be just as out-of-bounds as Offensive Strike.

The same rules apply to the FMove element as near as I can tell.

On the other hand, there is Trigger. A No Action, Immediate Reset combined with the Trigger condition "Character flies within arms reach of a foe". Touch expensive maybe but doable. With this trigger condition you don't do a Move-by, you simply do a move and the Trigger goes off.

I have also been looking at Area Effect Any Area, No Range. Once an Area Effect is no range, it is mobile enough to track with you. Define the area as a 4m arc in front and zoom-zoom. Or how about Area Effect Radius Accurate Time Limit Extra Phase. Now for one full phase the AoE is equivalent to constant and as you zoom along the Accurate allows you to pick a target. My belief is that you could make one attack per 1m moved (new area, equivalent of constant, ergo one accurate attack).

Something to consider in this case is that we already have a precedent of sorts. Namely' date=' Huge and larger characters get Area of Effect on their STR as part of their template. So...can [i']they[/i] perform Move Bys and Move Throughs with that?

The answer to that question might affect this one as well.

After giving this some thought, I wouldn't allow it. It would be the same as a normal size person attacking a target with shrinking or smaller than normal size template and that would make it too easy to cancel out the DCV levels that these characters get.

After giving this some thought' date=' I wouldn't allow it. It would be the same as a normal size person attacking a target with shrinking or smaller than normal size template and that would make it too easy to cancel out the DCV levels that these characters get.[/quote']

Actually, while the two situations are equivalent in concept, they aren't mechanically. Technically, smaller-than-human characters get DCV bonuses against everybody, including characters their own size. Meanwhile, humans get no such thing vs. giants, and the latter don't particularly suffer from OCV penalties against us either.

But that's more a comment on the system's issues with scales other than the default "standard human" one than relevant to the original question, I guess.