One can but hope…

Bismark

…that next year's UK Student National RPGing championships will have enough players interested in a 'Sci-Fi' category (NOT a 'Star Wars' or 'DarkHeresy/Rogue Trader' category, but one where either of those games, or Traveller, Star HERO etc. can be run)

…because the Universe has returned to its rightful state and Sheffield WON this year's trophy again - meaning that we are hosting it in 2011.

I have already volunteered to run a game for the Sci-Fi category (since it currently exists unless not enough people show an interest) - guess which game system that will be :thumbup:

I managed to run Star HERO in 2004 and 2006, but in 2008 there was no interest in anything other than Star Wars and Shadowrun, so I ended up running a game in the 'Open Fantasy' category instead (a Valdorian Age Fantasy HERO game, which went rather well).

The sort of game I have in mind will be in a homebrew universe which I have a lot of detail for but need to write it down and do actual game writeups for several of the alien races (and the humanoid ones as well); the problem is: while there is doubt about whether or not that game will actually get to be run at the Nationals I have something of a mental block where doing writeups is concerned (one of my annoying little personality quirks, unfortunately :thumbdown).

I am tempted to start doing writeups/background either on this forum or in a blog, because then I will be constantly reminded of it (I appear to have developed a bit of ADD as I got older and have difficulty finishing stuff I start unless it is work-related); I can also 'iron out any wrinkles' with the aid of your good selves (Nyrath's web site has been very useful :) for determining which weapons technologies I am going to use and which ones I am leaving out owing to their silliness, for example).

Basic universe set-up is 'hard rubber' interstellar sci-fi. There are FTL drives but a minimum of other 'rubber science' bits, apart from one rather useful set of temporary wormholes in the back story; otherwise, like a Cyberpunk/B5 hybrid but with very limited psionics (and those that exist are actual physical phenomena like the Traveller ones - no magic/mysticism here, thank you very much).

There are very few actual alien species that humans can interact with - and most of them are 'Uplift projects' (thanks to David Brin for that concept - and I do have a copy of GURPS Uplift, oddly enough), but there are a few scary things out there, including bad guys that have bred several slave races to do their dirty work for them.

Re: One can but hope…

Good luck and all!!

I have to say that Competitive Role playing seems like such an oxymoron. It's such a cooperative thing. I guess it's something that I will never understand :D