Why no Penalty Skill Levels in a Multipower?

lendrick

I'm trying to put together a laser rifle with several firing modes and I want to apply a penalty skill level to reduce the range penalty. Hero Designer is complaining that I shouldn't put PSLs in a Multipower. Why is this? As a GM, will this come back to bite me in some way?

Bart

Re: Why no Penalty Skill Levels in a Multipower?

I'm trying to put together a laser rifle with several firing modes and I want to apply a penalty skill level to reduce the range penalty. Hero Designer is complaining that I shouldn't put PSLs in a Multipower. Why is this? As a GM, will this come back to bite me in some way?

Bart

I think one of the less obvious reasons for the warning is that you could potentially have MP slot dedicated to PSL alone vs Hit Locations with an attack outside of the MP. The reason this could be perceived as abusive is that PSL's are essentially Skill Levels with a Limitation. Since Multipower Reserves track Active points (which don't change due to Limitations, unlike Real points), allowing a full slot allocation towards just PSL's would seem to violate the fundamental mechanics of how Multipowers function. This is also why I often use Overall Skill Levels in Multipower slots (usually to represent an aspect of the 'super-speed' sfx). They have no Limitations whatsoever.

Getting back to the original issue though...

I see no problem at all with having individual slots built as various Compound Powers with differing amounts of CSL's and PSL's.

Getting back to the original issue though...

I see no problem at all with having individual slots built as various Compound Powers with differing amounts of CSL's and PSL's.

Agreed. Compound powers which incl. skill levels are appropriate for multipower slots.

Agreed. Compound powers which incl. skill levels are appropriate for multipower slots.

That's how I've built the assault rifles with an integral grenade launcher.

Assault Rifle MP

Slot 1 - Gun: Compound Power with RKA and Levels

Slot 2 - Grenade Launcher: RKA AoE

I ended up dropping the multipower altogether and went with Unified Powers and Lockouts. The result actually costs slightly less.

Phasor Rifle

1) Accurate: +2 RSL (4 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Only works when firing single shots (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)

2) Fusion Battery: Endurance Reserve (40 END, 2 REC) Reserve: (12 Active Points); OAF (-1), Unified Power (-1/4); REC: (2 Active Points); Slow Recovery 1 Minute (-1)

3) Kill (6): Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), Lockout: Stun (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)

4) Stun (4): Blast 4d6, STUN Only (+0), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), Lockout: Kill (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)

I also managed to work in an "optional" Autofire in Stun mode. You always pay for it, but if you fire more than one round, you don't get the benefit of the extra accuracy. A fun mechanic is that now that I'm using an endurance reserve, it recharges between fights.

Current version of this is here: http://www.herogames.com/getHDPrefab/247881/Phasors.hdp