The HERO Basic Game Box

Ragitsu

Re: The HERO Basic Game Box

For the Champions: The Super RPG Beginner's Set you're probably talking the $40-50 range.

For Champions Online Campaign Set One: Millennium City probably $30-40 range.

And Champions Online Scenario Pack X: Attack of the Misfit Toys probably $20-30.

It really depends on the printer chosen and such.

Hurm. I would imagine that in today's market you would be looking at $50+ for each boxed set. I would probably see them priced at $60 for the beginner set and $50 for each subsequent set. I just think all the maps and markers are going to be a fairly hefty printing/construction expense. You might be able to squeeze the price down to $50 and $45 respectively.

Not that I know any of this for fact. Just looking at how much books and supplements cost these days to get an indication.

Since many are using the web to search/shop for RPGs nowadays, why not have those bundles available via PDF and/or Print On Demand (just have it shipped directly to the customer)?

Alleviates the need for a minimum print run to have reasonable price, and that doesn't take up a lot of warehouse space either.

Incidentally, having maps that could be printer on normal paper (just needing some trimming of the margins and a bit of tape to hold it) would be very nice for beginners

Since many are using the web to search/shop for RPGs nowadays, why not have those bundles available via PDF and/or Print On Demand (just have it shipped directly to the customer)?

Alleviates the need for a minimum print run to have reasonable price, and that doesn't take up a lot of warehouse space either.

Incidentally, having maps that could be printer on normal paper (just needing some trimming of the margins and a bit of tape to hold it) would be very nice for beginners

Because HERO is not GURPS.

Because HERO is not GURPS.

And what does HERO not being GURPS have to do with it?

Taking your reasons for not having PDF to the extreme would be "Since D&D prints book and HERO is not D&D, should DOJ continue to print Books?"

I've hang around my FLGS long enough to see that Books that aren't D&D attracks much less players and that Big Books attracts even less, whatever the system. Box set even less (been ages since I've seen many RPG box set... many gamers didn't like what Fantasy Flight did with their latest Warhammer Fantasy RPG - putting it in a box set)

A "Virtual Box Set" might be nice... even if it's only a few PDF that is put together to form a Startup Bundle for "newbies". Another way would be having a bundle made up of already printed stuff (can be put together "on-demand")

HERO presently does well, but it's still a niche player. trying to hook-up new players should be by giving them a low cost of entry into that big family. PDF is one way for that (but not the only way).

I have from time to time suggested a product, and I will define it here once again

I suggest the creation of the Basic line, the basic line would be a supplementary line for the Basic Rulebook, and would be cross useful to people using the Hero Games Primary Setting for each genre.

The Basic Line would be a book for each genre Hero Supports, titled simply "Basic _______________" So Basic Fantacy, Basic Champions, etc...Some setting might get a revised name, as Basic Star sounds stupid, so Basic SCI-FI or such.

Each would be somewhat similar in approach

Each around 130 pages, at about $15 (this is simiar in size and cost to Basic Rulebook)

• A introduction of the basic genre, with a bit on the sub genres but focusing on the genre of the major Hero games setting (Bronze age Super Heroes, High Fantacy, Space Opera)
  • An introduction to the major game setting (Champions Universe, Turakien Age, Terran Empire)
  • About half the book would be a new setting (Project Greenskin/new mexico desert, Sword Harbor a port city known for piracy, Delta Space Station)
  • Powers section, Examples of powers for the genre (Super powers/Gear, Spells, High tech equipment/Vehicles)
  • The Heroes: A group of 5-6 heroes that are built to be used as PC's or NPC's (The New Rangers, Rogars Warriors, Delta Base Squad Epsilon)
  • The Bad Guys: about 10-12 character sheets for common enemies

Now any rule that is felt needed that does not appear in Basic Rulebook gets put into a sidebar.

While I would like to see adventures, I think a 2-3 pages of basic adventures (About one page each with alot of details left to the GM) is the way to go with it

While I like the idea of paper minis, I would prefer to see them as something like a free .pdf (Take art from the book and make them on the quick). The map I question the need of...

I got it, 7th edition hero will be sold in packs of 12 random pages, you are only allowed to use the rules you have the page for, some pages (like the description of frameworks) will be rarer than others...the first Collectible RPG...

I got it' date=' 7th edition hero will be sold in packs of 12 random pages, you are only allowed to use the rules you have the page for, some pages (like the description of frameworks) will be rarer than others...the first Collectible RPG...[/quote']

I really want to smack you for that suggestion, but I'll send rep instead, just for the pure ironic cruelty of the statement.

I really want to smack you for that suggestion' date=' but I'll send rep instead, just for the pure ironic cruelty of the statement.[/quote']

I have that effect on people...

But think about it...you could trade with fellow players, and through careful manipulation of E-Bay it can be a 2nd source of income for hero games...