Chaos Blades

danbuter

Just curious if anyone has expanded on this particular sample system yet. I really like the idea behind it, and think it could be run kinda like Highlander. As for spells usable, I think I'd limit the effects to stuff like increasing damage, jumping, aid to different stats and maybe skills, etc. Is there any guideline for how long the Aid from killing another Chaos Blade lasts?

How to build a Chaos Blade

I'm re-opening this thread to get some help from the board members. Rather than wait for Steve to write the Chaos Blade book, I'd like to put together an example newbie Chaos Blade for players. The relevant section in Fantasy Hero is rather vague about the Blades. What we know is that the Chaos Blade package includes a Detect (other Blades), A Perk (Chaos Blade), and Bladetheft (Aid).

My first question: is this it? Is that all that is needed to be a Chaos Blade? If not, what else is there?

Secondly: how many spells does a Chaos Blade have? Considering the sample spells cost from 3-21 points, newbies will probably only have 1 or 2 spells, with the most experienced having maybe several spells.

Thirdly: what spells are suggested for newbies? Is there a suggested standard set, or does it depend on the personality of the newbie? I can see each newbie starting with a low-powered set of spells that enhance senses and defend/protect.

What brought these questions to mind was that I started to create a Chaos Blade using the Light Warrior template, with the addition of the Chaos Blade abilities mentioned in the magic section. I'm stuck at this point; I have too many questions to continue.

New Chaos Blade

Char Val

STR 13

DEX 17

CON 15

BODY 10

INT 10

EGO 10

PRE 10

COM 10

PD 3

ED 3

SPD 2

REC 6

END 30

STUN 25

Cost Powers

15 Chaos Blade Package

6 Detect: Chaos Blades (+1 to PER); Passive Sense; Sense; Detect Category (A Single Thing): +3

8 Bladetheft: 1d6 Aid (Fade/1 Year, 6 Maximum); Range (0"); Delayed Return Rate (1 Year): +2 1/2; Affects (Single Power): +0; Only Works After Killing Another Chaos Blade (Very Uncommon): -2; Extra Time (1 Turn): -1¼

Cost Skills, Perks Roll

10 Chaos Blade Package

10 Perk: Chaos Blade

9 Fencing

Used with Blades Weapon Group

4 Parry (OCV +2, DCV +2, Block, Abort)

5 Thrust (OCV +1, DCV +3, STR Strike, 3d6)

8 +1 Combat with All Combat

9 +3 Combat with Swords

2 KS: Sword Fighting Styles 11-

2 KS: Military Tactics (small unit) 11-

4 WF: Common Melee Weapons: 2; Common Missile Weapons: 2

3 Defense Maneuver I

5 Rapid Attack: Hand-To-Hand

3 Fast Draw (Small Arms); Weapon: Small Arms 12-

34 Characteristics

69 Powers

103 Total

As you can see, this alone leaves the character with only 47 more points, assuming he's 75+75. Buying up the other stats leaves very little for the spells.

Where do I go from here?

Yeah, but....

I don't see Chaos Blades casting fireballs and such. I think they should get spells that enhance senses, increase attributes, possibly armor, speed enhancers, etc. Maybe some divinatory stuff, as well.

That's logical, but I have a couple of problems with that: Firstly, FH mentions lightning, teleport, and resurrection spells, as well as Blades devastating towns. So, the Chaos Blades as written have flashy spells. Secondly, they're the only source of magic on their world, and it'd be a real shame if their spells were subtle.

Actually, I suppose I can see a two-tiered hierarchy amongst Blades; with your style of enhancements describing the average Chaos Blade. Suppose that a few create such powerful enhancements that they move to the second tier. It's these Blademasters who have the flashy and overt spells.

It's probably just my prejudices showing through. I'm not a fan of flashy magic. I like the Merlin or Elrond type, where stuff happens, but isn't blatant.

If you like the flashy stuff, you could try stuff like electrified, frost or flame blades, flying mages, soul-stealing blades, etc? Something akin to Exalted.

The Chaos Blades as I conceive of 'em are definitely of the "flashy magic" variety. I'm a big, big fan of the "flavorful wizard" (to label what danbuter's talking about), but I was angling for that more with things like Talriadan Druidry or the Tuala Morn setting we'll eventually publish. The CBs are big 'n' zappy. ;)

But of course, YMMV. Do with 'em as you will for your own campaigns. ;)

They don't have swords -- well, they could have swords, if they wanted, but that's not the defining element of their existence. A Chaos Blade's "blade" is his magical powers. That's the weapon he fights with and is known for. The name derives more from terms like "hired blade" -- if a mercenary is a hired blade, then these guys are "Chaos Blades" because they wield the primal, chaotic forces of magic.

But if you want to give 'em swords, go right ahead. I'm a big fan of the "warrior-mage" archetype myself. ;)

Originally posted by Steve Long

They don't have swords -- well, they could have swords, if they wanted, but that's not the defining element of their existence.

Ah, things become quite a bit clearer now. I thing we all were picturing them as warrior-mages, sort of Highlander with overt spells.

Over the past few weeks, I've been creating an anime-inspired setting for my version of the Chaos Blades. It takes elements from Ranma 1/2 (the ki-powered martial arts) and Tenchi Muyo (super-powered aliens). All Chaos Blades in this setting have one spell in common; to summon their sword from where ever it currently is. Their boast is that no Blade is ever unarmed since "No Chaos Blade can be separated from his sword".

That's the beauty of the HERO system. You have a lot of flexibility to take an idea and modify it to your tastes. If you want immortal, sword-wielding Chaos Blades, no problem. If you want to do something else with them, piece of cake.

That's why I'm trying to wean my players out of D&D. Not that it's a bad system, but you can do so much more with HERO.

>> That's why I'm trying to wean my players out of D&D. Not that it's a bad system, but you can do so much more with HERO.<<

Preaching to the choir, I know but one of the players from my last game (a complete HERO virgin at the time) is playing DnD 3e with his friends now and he contacted me recently for help converting his GM away from the (ahem) Dark Side.

As he stated "Now it's just so frustrating being strait-jacketed into one character class!"

cheers, Mark