Over Heat (5e)?

Alright, so here's the break drown: Making a low powered superhero, Salamander: a fire spitting basic blaster type. He's got normal characteristic maxima and uses multiform to turn into his high powered alter ego. I'm trying to make his "Big Finale" move be an all or nothing finisher that shuts down his powers after he uses it. Think Human Torch going super nova. Once he uses it, he's back to being Joe Schmoe for x amount of time (couple of hours at least. Considering giving it a full 24 hr recharge).

With out over complicating it, what's the bast way to represent this? I'm having more of a problem trying to figure out how to have turn multiform of for a period of time. Is there a better power I could be using for this?

Also, since he can only use powers while in Hero mode, they all need to be linked to it some how. Right now I have OIHID but he does really have a start up time like indicated in the book, just the ability to loose access to those powers.

Maybe something to do with END?

Feed back is appreciated!

Re: Over Heat (5e)?

OIHID does have a minimum start-up/change time.

If you build all of his other powers normally via a framework (like the example flame character in the front of 5er) you can build a 'nova' attack as a 'naked' bonus to one of the 'standard' attacks with extra advantages and limitations.

If you want this to be an END limited attack vs. Charges per day you might consider using an End Reserve. The explanation could be similar to a fantasy dragon, his body constantly creates the 'fire-fuel' regardless of his physical activity. The 'Nova' attack could burn extra End from the End Reserve only. Build it with a large reserve and low recovery.

have a 3rd form that has the nova power and a limitation of non use for X amount of time

to add another doubling is only 5pts

so it is not worth it to any limitations on the multiform

so you have is

1 your normal form

2 your normal hero form

3 your NOVA form that has 1 charge and no other powers(get the most bang)give this from a 14- accidental change to your human form(since you will either already facing your hunted or the time you will be in the Nova from so little it will not need that 20 pt hunted)

you will have a slot open that you might want as a berserk/stealth/travel/whatever/leave blank mode

have a 3rd form that has the nova power and a limitation of non use for X amount of time

to add another doubling is only 5pts

so it is not worth it to any limitations on the multiform

so you have is

1 your normal form

2 your normal hero form

3 your NOVA form that has 1 charge and no other powers(get the most bang)give this from a 14- accidental change to your human form(since you will either already facing your hunted or the time you will be in the Nova from so little it will not need that 20 pt hunted)

you will have a slot open that you might want as a berserk/stealth/travel/whatever/leave blank mode

I like the idea with accidental change, but I would like to do something to make it so he can't just pop back into normal hero mode afterward. Overheat should do just that. It over heats him. It's an all-or-nothing attack that if it does end the fight, it ends his role in it.

Build the Multiform (with the Nova Power), and add the Conditional Limitation "Only While Nova Power Is Usable" (or words to that effect). Then apply a Limitation to the Nova Power that limits how many times per day it can be used (or how long between uses).

Basing the value of a Limitation for the Nova Power on either the Charges or Extra Time charts (to me) yields poor, nongranular results when the Refresh Time is less than a full day. So I'd probably go with a Limited Power limitation: "Cannot Be Used Again for X Hours", and hash out the value of that limitation with the GM.

Since the power is not using Charges, there is no (semi-) clear way for a Positive Adjustment Power to overcome this Limitation and "restore" the character to full power (though as usual, a Transform could be shoehorned in to fit).

As soon has he used the Nova Power, it becomes unusable for the duration of its Limitation. And the Multiform stops working due to its Limitation and he reverts to true form. He then stays that way until the Limitation period has elapsed. Clearly, the longer the downtime, the bigger the Limitation will be on the Multiform as well as for the Nova Power itself.

I like the idea with accidental change' date=' but I would like to do something to make it so he can't just pop back into normal hero mode afterward. Overheat should do just that. It over heats him. It's an all-or-nothing attack that if it does end the fight, it ends his role in it.[/quote']Well, except for running away screaming because he's a non-super in the middle of a supers fight. ;)