• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

Re: Ctrl+V

Basic Marine Bundle (All Marines): 15 lb

BMK (Basic Marine Kit): 8 lb. Consists of the following items, distributed among pockets and LBE:

BiMex Protective Goggles (Protects from dust and gives +2 HT vs. flash, DR 10): 0.5 lb

BiMex Sunglasses (Gives +1 HT vs. flash, DR 5): -

Camouflage Paint: -

Crystex-MTP Balaclava (-1 IR detection, DR 3 vs. Burning or Piercing attacks, DR 2 vs. cutting, DR 1 vs. impaling): -

Crystex-MTP Cap (-1 IR detection, DR 3 vs. Burning or Piercing attacks, DR 2 vs. cutting, DR 1 vs. impaling): -

Crystex-MTP Gloves (-1 IR detection, DR 3 vs. Burning or Piercing attacks, DR 2 vs. cutting, DR 1 vs. impaling): -

Duct Tape (50’, camouflage): -

Ear Plugs – gives -1 Hearing and Protected Sense (Hearing) – see B78: -

550 Line (25’): -

Flexible Canteen: 2.25 lb (full)

Inertial/Magnetic Compass: 0.25 lb

Lighter: -

M-94 Marking Flares (pack of 5): 0.25 lb

Multitool: 0.5 lb

Note Pad and Pen/Marker: -

Personal Locator: 0.25 lb

Personal Medical Kit (1 use. Contains bandage, antiseptic wipe, pain reliever, antiviral agent, broad-spectrum antibiotic, Neurovine [+2 HT to resist nerve gas], and anti-radiation agent): 0.5 lb

Personal NBC Kit (1 use. Contains disposable NBC suit, decontamination spray, and decontamination wipes): 0.5 lb

Plasticuffs (Sheet of 10): -

Protective Mask (-1 to Hearing and Vision) [with Coolant System to protect from extreme heat for 15 minutes, and Rebreather, protects eyes as BiMex Protective Goggles, protects rest of head and neck as Crystex-MTP BDU]: 2.5 lb

Ration Bars (1 day supply): 0.5 lb

Wrist IFF Transmitter/ Location Transponder/Rad Counter/Watch: -

With Buffy now here, Captain America pulled out the secure phone line he had set up so he could check on the other locations across the globe.

“How is the situation in Australia, Superman?” the Sentinel of Liberty asked the Man of Steel.

Cap had hoped to talk to Stephen Strange in Mexico, but the connection had been lost. And Dr. Doom was here in Finland, but Cap was still feeling uncertain about his motives. It would not be unlike Dr. Doom to make a power grab after the world had been saved. Cap hoped to speak to the Hulk before they left. If anyone could keep an eye on Doom, it was Hulk.

“How goes it Cap?” said a voice. “Man, how come we couldn’t meet somewhere closer to New York. I’m blowing my frequent flyer miles all in one big wad.”

The new voice brought a smile to the old soldier’s face. He never failed to make Cap smile, and, despite his sometime loner attitude, Cap knew that he was a valuable team member.

“About as well as can be expected, Spider-man,” Cap replied, looking at the wall-crawler clinging to the ceiling. He would have called him Peter, but he knew that Spider-man still protected the secret identity, and Buffy was within earshot. “I’m sorry about your air travel. You could have used the Quinjet.”

“I did. I was just kidding," Spidey sighed. "I’m still not sure what help I’m going to be. I’m more of your friendly, neighborhood Spider-man… and not so much of your friendly, dimension-hopping Spider-man.”

“We need to have heroes with strong wills and determined minds, and I know of no better example than you, Spider-man,” said Captain America.

“Aw, shucks… careful Cap, you’ll make my head spin. I’m not used to compliments,” Spidey said, feigning embarrassment. His face mask hid his true feelings. This was Captain America. His words were an inspiration to Spider-man. That’s why he’s in charge, Peter thought.

Easing himself down to the floor upon a thin webline, Spidey waved toward Buffy and shook Cap’s hand.

“I’m with you, Cap,” said Spidey. “No matter what we have to face.”

The internet was definitely around in 1992. However, at that time, most people accessed it indirectly various BBSs (CompuServ, Prodigy, AOL, and a whole slew of local ones). Some of us had rudimentary TCP/IP clients, where we used Gopher, Usenet, and eventually NCSA Mosaic.

If I recall... In 1992, I had a 386 running Windows 3.1 with Trumpet TCP/IP and used Eudora Mail. Gopher was the standard and there were hardly any www sites at the time.

My work computer was a unix terminal and we had some kind of text based www browser and we relied heavily on email. We started using email in the mid 1980's and it wasn't new technology.

Technically, this is a juvenile. The protagonists are under age and

that makes it a juvenile. Supposedly this is steampunk although I

have to point out that steam engines appear nowhere in the technology

and it's set at the start of an alternate Great War. The Germans and

Austrians have giant robots, that run on internal combustion engines.

The French, English and Russian use genetically engineered air whales,

flechette bats, and probably rhinos or something instead of tanks.

It's awesome. Our protagonists are the mandatory one teenage boy and

one teenage girl. She's a cross-dressing royal navy crewman on board

an airwhale. He's a robot pilot claimant to the throne of

Austria-Hungary on the run from the Germans who killed his father to

start the war and want him dead as well. They fight crime! Or at

least the Germans.

Historically of course, this is inaccurate. The Germans didn't want a

big war and certainly wouldn't have killed Archduke Ferdinand to start

one. But alternate timelines mean never having to say you're sorry

for the liberties you take with history. I mean he had Darwin invent

genetic engineering after all. (The giant robots are blamed on the

interaction between this world's superior understanding of biology and

anatomy, and the Rule of Cool. Giant robots are cool. Therefore they

work.)

What I really love about this books is the description of the bizarre

British arsenal of weapons in operation. The bats that puke metal

flechettes when you shine a red light on them, the acid nets, the

aerial jellyfish and whales. I want to see more of them. I'm so up

for the sequel. Of course when I read the amazon reviews I noticed

someone from the target audience complaining about the discussion of

the politics of the breaking war when they wanted more action, but for

me this book is a model of how Weber and his ilk should be handling

such things. Even the developing mismatched relationship between the

two kids struck me as fun.

Of the books I've read this year, this is my favourite.

The man was a loose cannon and should have never even been picked for the mission; which ends with his entire team (six men) dead, no civilians rescued, and the discharge of a foreign nuclear weapon in the rain forest - a complete disaster.

First, he shows up out of uniform, unprepared, and smoking a cigar like he's on vacation. He has the audacity to mock a legitimate CIA hero with his macho-no-brain attitude, right in front of his direct superior.

It then becomes quite obvious what kind of leader Dutch is when he is reluctant to accept orders from the general; not to mention letting his ego get in the way when offered much-needed guidance from a credible CIA operative.

Within hours of the mission, Dutch's poor attitude and leadership becomes apparent when he continually bickers with Dillon and decides to take idiotic cavalier risks as the team leader, such as trying to throw a used pick-up truck at the enemy. This is the example he sets and his team follows throughout the mission.

When Hawkins is killed, he splits the team up and uses them like scape goats to flush out the enemy. Blain is then immediately picked off, not only for his poor strategic choice of weaponry and mobility, but his stupidity to be making noise while scouting out the enemy. These men, and especially their leader, did not pay attention in training. This includes the motto of "no man left behind" - but I guess that doesn't apply in Mr. Dutch's world of shoot first and don't bother to even think about it later.

The morale of his men becomes apparent soon after when Billy declare's "they are all going to die." Dutch then gets the brilliant idea to "go native" and spend the entire afternoon, unarmed and unclothed, building an elaborate trap out of vines and sticks. Only after it is done does it occur to them that maybe the enemy won't even walk through there. Dutch then spends about 5 minutes waiting and, against Dillon's better judgement, gets anxious and walks out into the open using himself as bait - another stunning example of his shining leadership qualities.

The "plan" results in a complete failure, as expected, allowing the enemy to escape unharmed while simultaneously paralyzing a fellow team member. From this moment, Dutch's team realizes his leadership is going to get them all killed. This is why Mac and Dillon, the brains of the operation, split up and begin acting like real soldiers. If Dutch had taken their lead, the enemy would have been killed and 2 men's lives saved.

However, the result was much worse. Dutch and Billy betray their team members and run like cowards resulting in the deaths of Mac and Dillon. When their death's are heard, Dutch's lead tracker commits ritual suicide-surrender on a log.

Only when Dutch runs for his life does he save the life of an enemy combatant, who is able to escape while Dutch is chased. Dutch then allows for the detonation of an unaccounted nuclear weapon in the jungle, with devastating fallout to the ecosystem.

After Dutch is rescued, no sign of the enemy or his team can be found. It would have been wise to end the movie with him receiving a court-martial for his egregious behavior and lack of leadership. If it were me I would lock him up in Leavenworth for life and use this movie as a training film with the lesson of "how not to lead your soldiers against an unknown adversary."

Boil two quarts of water. When boiling, remove from stove and add three bags of Lipton tea. Let the bags steep for an hour, and then add the tea-water to eight-tenths to nine-tenths a cup of sugar, and one half teaspoon Unsweetened Kool-Aid Lemonade mix. Stir thoroughly. Chill, and enjoy.

Shigeru Aoba: Release the safety.

Maya Ibuki: I can't! I just can't shoot this thing, Aoba!

Shigeru Aoba: Of course you can! You've had basic training!

Maya Ibuki: But I shot at targets, not at other human beings!

Shigeru Aoba: Idiot! You kill or you die!

Land belonging to California State University Long Beach was found to contain an Indian burial ground/sacred site when development unearthed human remains. There have been occasional plans to turn it into a mini-mall or parking lot, but after the college endured protests it has been left undisturbed and undeveloped. (The remains that were revealed in the initial development were reburied by modern descendants of the tribe.)