Obscure Build

Stonubis73

When presented with a challenge of building a character without any multipower pools, elemental controlls, or variable power pools, i started brainstorming ideas for what i could make that would be fun and interesting to play and also, as a personal challenge to myself, tryed to stray away from the typical EB/KA's that me and my group usually lean toward.

The final concept i came up with was a man who goes by the mane of Exavior Stone, who goes by the name of Iron Side when masking his identity. He is basically a war veteren who lost all his arms and legs in some war because he took orders from a higher up who realy had no idea what he was doing. He is super intelligent and knows many sciences, including bioelectrical engineering. He designed and built a set of robotic arms and legs and has armed them with various weapons/mobility tech.

Now i know this just SCREAMS multipower pool, but once again, the challenge was to not use those. I came up with, what i think to be a clever way of doing this with some no range duplications, pending the aproval of the GM of course.

My question is this... How would the rest of you who bothered to read this newbies first post go about building this character if confronted with the same challenge?

Re: Obscure Build

I would simply build him with a suitable set of warrior skills and buy up his physical characteristics and possibly some resistant defenses to represent his cybernetic augmentations. No power framework needed. Oh I see he is a scientist. Add a couple of science skills to the mix. I would build weapons for each limb, even if the weapon was a concealed pistol (robocop) or similar device. Tell me how many points you have to spend.

I am going to assume that since Unified Power replaced Elemental Control, that method is off limits as well?

Oh and welcome to the boards. You will find that your relative longevity on the boards is secondary to your contributions. We like newcomers here. Well some of us do. That Old Man can be a little curmudgeonly at times. And watch out for Teh Bunneh. Nice guy until he lops of your head and steals your quickening.

I had a world of trouble building my old Champs character "Hardcase" in 5E, on 450 Points, with MP's and VPP's and all perfectly legal.

Samuel Kraven was an UNTIL Agent with regeneration who got sent in on a mission against Mechanon. He was captured and Mechanon did the ol' Weapon X treatment, turning Kraven into a cybernetic killing machine. So I wanted all the bells and whistles - strength, weapons, armor, regeneration, enhanced senses, ability to plug into computers and networks, ability to rapidly learn stuff, record everything he sees and hears, etc... bionic man meats terminator meets Cyborg. Not easy.

But that was also in a campaign where 20d6 attacks were the norm. So not only did I need to be a jack of all trades, but I needed to be able to fulfill my role as the Brick.

I'd be looking at STR bought as a power linked to an END Reserve, all your attacks off the Reserve or with Charges, limitations like Focus, or Restrainable (EMP), the like. Most of your powers are based on the cybernetics you have made, while your character himself is just a very skilled normal guy.

Edit: Why does the fracking HTML Hero Boards export format NOT FRACKING POST CORRECTLY TO THE HERO BOARDS :mad:

So, here is kind of a rough draft you can work with - I bought his physical stats down then bought them back up as powers in a list. Already at 219 points before skills or perks and such. Everything runs from an END Reserve in the "suit."

It will be... difficult to squeeze much stuff in on 300 points without coming up with some more limitations that make sense; I tend to go light on limitations in Superheroic games. And I don't know if 10d6 matches the power level of the setting or not.

Player:

Val Char Cost

8/43 STR -2

8/18 DEX -6

8/28 CON -4

8/18 BODY -4

20 INT 10

15 EGO 10

10 PRE 0

10 COM 0

3/24 PD 1

3/24 ED 1

3/4 SPD 12

5 REC 2

25 END 5

20/55 STUN 4

0"/8" RUN -12

0" SWIM -2

0"/12 1/2" LEAP -1

Characteristics Cost: 14

Cost Power

Cybernetic Body, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

10 1) Endurance Reserve (50 END, 10 REC) (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

13 2) +30 STR (30 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Restrainable (EMP) (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

11 3) +30 STR (30 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Restrainable (EMP) (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

17 4) +10 DEX (30 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

18 5) +20 CON (40 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

10 6) +10 BODY (20 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

3 7) +5 ED (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

3 8) +5 PD (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

23 9) +35 STUN (35 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

11 10) Running +8" (0"/8" total) (16 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

3 11) Leaping +5" (0 1/2"/12 1/2" forward, 0"/6" upward) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

30 12) Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

6 13) Density Increase (200 kg mass, +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, -1" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (10 Active Points); Visible (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

4 14) +2 PER with Sight Group and Normal Hearing (6 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

3 15) Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

3 16) Nightvision (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

7 17) Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

3 18) Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

2 19) +1 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group and Normal Hearing (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

3 20) Microscopic ( x10) with Sight Group (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

2 21) Healing 1 BODY (10 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Requires An Inventor Roll (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

Cybernetic Weaponry, all slots OAF (-1), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

20 1) Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 205

Total Character Cost: 219

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 20

Base Points: 300

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

To Nolgroth: We are building the characters on 300 points. Also' date=' we are using a pretty old version so i dont even know what unified power is.[/quote'] In 6th edition, Elemental Controls no longer exist. Instead there is a Power Limitation that serves to unify power sets so that if one is drained or suppressed, all the unified powers are suppressed.

So how do your points breakdown with Base vs Disdavantages (150/150, 200/100, etc)?

So how do your points breakdown with Base vs Disdavantages (150/150, 200/100, etc)?

We usually just go half and half so in this case it would be 150/150.

P.S. How do i make it so that when im quoting somebody that it appears in the purplish box instead of it just saying

after the statement?

The "best" way to display characters is to get a Hero Designer subscription (:king:) and then upload the character to the Vault. You can then use [noparse][hd=XXXXXX][/noparse] where "XXXXXX" is the number of the character (provided when it is uploaded). The Vault accepts both 5E and 6E characters.