• Martial Arts
  • Paramedics
  • Combat Skill Levels
  • Stealth
  • Survival
  • Weapon Familiarity
  • …or ask the GM if the skill you want is applicable

Total Cost Of Package Abilities: 29

If the character already has any of the abilities or skills in the package give them the option of increasing their skill level or choosing an advanced version of the appropriate ability or skill.

Re: M.H.I. Coastal Rangers Monster Hunter Template

Go here: http://surbrook.devermore.net/index/worldbooks.html and take a look at the Phenomena Department and Shadows Angelus for ideas.

Thanks for the link! Some good stuff in there. I'm really interested in the way you've got your disadvantages laid out, this is something I need to put some more thought into for the Monster Hunter Template.

The campaign, for the PC's at least, will be a whole lot less magical/psi/esper and a whole lot more gear orientated. PC's that have psi powers or magical abilities will be very rare.

The character creation process is going to be broken down into two parts:

1) Pre-MHI career (which could be anything modern day; student, taxi-driver, blimp pilot, military, etc...) and then a transitioning into -

2) Post-MHI training and the ready to play PC

Will probably have to fumble around a bit with pre and post disadvantages to keep things balanced.

owen had tons of skills before he joined the MHI that didnt have anything to do with his job. On the other hand, he was the only new recruit like that if I recall right.

CES

True, but it does open doors for a touch higher point cap if folks are looking at the heroic range, not to mention some interesting gun feats as well as the power "Because I am Homely, I shall Kick much Monster Behind and Get the Hot Chick!" (+10 Presence, +10 Over All combat Skill Levels, Only when said Satement can be made.....)

~Rex

I ripped through the first book and am stoked to read Monster Hunter Vendetta! I am really enjoying Mr.Correia's MHI universe :eg:

Re: Complications

How do these look as a set of 'default' complications for the Monster Hunter Template?

Harmful Secret; The character has to keep their Monster Hunting Career a secret from everyone:

+10 Frequently, +5 Major [15 points]

Subject To Orders; The character belongs to MHI:

+15 Very Frequently, +5 Major [20 points]

Rivalry; The Govt' Monster Hunter Bureau is in direct competition with MHI and it's employees:

+5 Professional, +10 Rival is Significantly More Powerful than character [15 points]

Spot on really......what point level are you looking at for a starting base?

~Rex

Not entirely sure but I'm thinking somewhere in the 100-150 point range? I need to play around with Character Creation a bit and see what kind of characters can be built within that limit? I'm thinking an investment in HDv3 is in my future.

HERO System is new for me, I come from a mainly AD&D background with some experience with a few other systems (Morrow Project, Twilight 2000, Phoenix Command, Superworld...) but this is my first go at a fully points based and open genre system.

150 would get folks killed pretty quick. 175 will get you stuff comparable to low end pulp, things like that, figure 175 as about equal to a 5th level DnD character. Judging from your other listed game systems we've both mucked around in the same Rice Paties a bit, heh. You should be able to scale it easy enough once you get a handle on the environmental mechanics for hero, how tough a wall is that sort of thing.

What I LIKED about MHI in the books, was that it was very Cinematic. You can take the book and make a movie of it right as it is, or a show like Supernatural, but then you would need to be in the cinematic heroic range going from 225 to 275 even for like our main Hero there.....150 feels a bit low for MHI though it would work for some of the MHI mooks or government guys that get stepped on along the way before the real team shows up.

~Rex

I'd be hard pressed to allow a Monster PC in an MHI set up, simply put, because there is really only ONE, and it took Generations for him to get to the point where he is. To flush in more would just turn a MHI game, into Buffy the Vampire Layer (no typo) meets Supernatural, as well as sort of stomp up and down on what should be a one guy niche anyway.

~Rex

I'd be hard pressed to allow a Monster PC in an MHI set up, simply put, because there is really only ONE, and it took Generations for him to get to the point where he is. To flush in more would just turn a MHI game, into Buffy the Vampire Layer (no typo) meets Supernatural, as well as sort of stomp up and down on what should be a one guy niche anyway.

~Rex

I agree with you, in keeping with the MHI spirit I not going to allow any PC's to be monsters. There may be a friendly monster NPC or two tho'

I think Frank qualifies as a monster too since he is tougher and stronger than a normal human. It's just not revealed what kind.

CES

Not sure I agree with you on this one, I think Frank is just a big boy who has put himself through some hard training. He may have some sort of psi/esp/or magical ability tho' that would account for his visions and such from the first book.

Yeah Frank's not a monster, Just a normal Big Guy, who while has his scticks, Does get shown up by a few other members here and there as well, without losing his own particular niche' in the book. While I wouldn't put him as Superhumanly Strong, I would put him in the Dutch Shultz category so to speak.

~Rex....says he's not superhuman, just Action Hero badassery.

Another two books you could check out for inspiration:

Dark Champions -- Lots of cinematic skills and the like, as well as a decent armory listing.

Urban Fantasy -- the Danite Hunter package would be great to check out for further inspiration.

• 5 weeks later...

Finished Vendetta, have to say, good time, doesn't slow down, lota cool stuff revealed (Stuff for Franks but that's like, major Spoiler Action), lotta Zombie and Chubacabra action as well as a nice take on a Cult, and some more depth for the MCB as well as MHI. Plus, you get to try and figure out how to pronounce Owen's Dad's name. :D All in great MHI firefight action format of course. Now, can't wait for the next book. Going to do an MHI Halloween game for my players, only thing putting a crimp in that, is of course the SLOWEST reader in the group, has the book now, and I think the rest of the group is going to tear the guy into pieces because Continental Plate movement goes faster.

Wonder what the PUFF is on a Sharktopus.......They're in the books you know. :D

~Rex

A? That would be wrecking the spoiler. :D Besides it's far more complicated then that, and cooler because of that and involves a reach into the real world that was a very nice touch. It does make me wonder though if the Author was a fan of the old F.R.E.E.Lancers and FREEamerica material for the old TSR Top Secret SI game back in the day, heh, but it's very cool none the less even if it is related to a person whoose last name is Dippel.

Either way, very fun book, worth the 8 bucks.

~Rex.....says third should be better from the way the second leaves it. Could definitly get a TV show out of this thing, but they would probably cast some skinny 5'10 pretty boy dancer guy as Owen like Legend of the Seeker did for Richard Rahl....Casting directors, can't legally kill them, can't feed them to a Chupacabra pack....or can you?