Absorption: Two absorbs (PD and ED), both boost same things, but share a pool...

Kraven Kor

So I am updating my friend's hulk clone to 6E. I've just been hand-waving this up until now, but with 6E characters "being more expensive" I need to make sure I'm doing this correctly point-wise.

Basically, any attack makes him angrier, and thus, stronger, tougher, bigger. So I have two absorbs, one to PD, one to ED. Use to be 2d6, now going with 2 BODY and x8 Max absorbed for 16 BODY / 32 Points absorbed going to STR, a Growth/Density Increase Compound Power, and Regeneration.

Now, if I'm thinking of this correctly, this means he can absorb up to 32 points from each absorption power, for 64 points total, which is not what I want. I want a max of 32 points total from both.

Should I just slap a limitation on both, "Shared Pool", or some such? What would you value that at? I would say -1/2 but want some other opinions.

Also, would the following be a valid use of "Unified Power?"

Protogenetic Traits, all slots Unified Power (-1/4)

48 1) Resistant Protection (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)

24 2) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)

24 3) Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)

6 4) Absorption 2 BODY, Increased Maximum (x8 points) (+3/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (STR, Cellular Expansion, Regeneration; +1) (7 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)

6 5) Absorption 2 BODY, Increased Maximum (x8 points) (+3/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (STR, Cellular Expansion, Regeneration; +1) (7 Active Points); Unified Power (-1/4)

45 6) Regeneration (3 BODY per Turn), Can Heal Limbs, Near-Resurrection, Inherent (+1/4) (79 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)

16 7) Energy Absorbing Cellular Expansion: (Total: 37 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) Density Increase (800 kg mass, +15 STR, +3 PD/ED, -6m KB) (12 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Growth (+15 STR, +5 CON, +5 PRE, +3 PD, +3 ED, +3 BODY, +6 STUN, +1m Reach, +12m Running, -6m KB, 101-800 kg, +2 to OCV to hit, +2 to PER Rolls to perceive character, 2-4m tall, 1-2m wide) (25 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Unified Power (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) [Notes: Every 4 BODY absorbed results in 1 level of DE (5 STR, 1 PD/ED, -2m KB); every 5 BODY absorbed results in Growth granting +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, +1 max BODY, +2 max STUN, +4m running, -2m KB), once 15 BODY has been absorbed, you also gain the +5 CON, +5 PRE, +1 m Reach, DCV and PER penalties.]

0 8) This is just to put the STR gained from Growth onto the base Characteristics page: +15 STR (Custom Adder); Unified Power (-1/4)

11 9) Enhanced Metabolic Rate: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat) (16 Active Points); Gradual Effect (-1/4), Unified Power (-1/4)

11 10) Power Defense (20 points) (20 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)

3 11) Clouded Mind: Mental Defense (5 points total) (5 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Unified Power (-1/4)

Re: Absorption: Two absorbs (PD and ED), both boost same things, but share a pool...

Given his abilities will increase faster than if he had only one absorption power, I'd say a -1 limitation is clearly too high. Halving the maximum seems reasonably significant for long combats, so -1/4 seems too little. I'd be inclined to go with -1/2 as you suggest. With only 16 BOD/32 CP, he'll hit the limit pretty quickly, which may justify -3/4.

I don't think there are any mechanical restrictions on which powers can be Unified, however the player should be OK with the fact that a Drain is going to hit this character very hard. A 6d6 Drain (60 AP) against any of those powers will average a roll of 21, which will:

- drop his Resistant Protection by 3/3 (actually 3 1/3)

- drop both Damage Reductions by 10 points (tough to gauge since it's bought in increments, but that's 1/3, so I'd be inclined to remove 1/3 of the reduction, leaving him at 1/3, then 1/6, then nothing)

- eliminate both Absorbs

- take out all his Density Increase and leave 4 AP of Growth

- Remove his life support

- take out his Mental Defense

Going through the list, two powers are troublesome. First, 20 Power Defense makes him virtually immune to Drains. Given the only mechanical effect of Unified Power is vulnerability to negative adjustment powers, I'd be reluctant to allow the limitation to someone with high Power Defense. [Not sure I'd consider power defense limited that much by Always On either]

Second, the Regeneration is Inherent, so it can't be adjusted. If it can't be adjusted, Unified Power can't adjust it.

Re: Absorption: Two absorbs (PD and ED), both boost same things, but share a pool...

And yes, the Power Defense does apply against Aids - basically, his body rebuilds itself and expands rapidly, even returning to normal from an enhanced state.

However, the Power Defense only applies to physical drains and such - a drain vs., say, Protogenetic powers (basically, any power in my campaign setting that derives from genetics) would, as stated, be bad news for him. For some reason, it stripped off the limitations when I converted, or maybe I just hadn't ever added it on, but that was the intention.

Second, the Regeneration is Inherent, so it can't be adjusted. If it can't be adjusted, Unified Power can't adjust it.
So I need to strip off the inherent, got it. The intent there was that it could not be prevented or drained in any fashion, not that it couldn't be adjusted upwards (as the Absorb enhances his regen.) Maybe change the Inherent to Difficult to Dispel?

So I need to strip off the inherent' date=' got it. The intent there was that it could not be prevented or drained in any fashion, not that it couldn't be adjusted upwards (as the Absorb enhances his regen.) Maybe change the Inherent to Difficult to Dispel?[/quote']

That's what I'd do. And/or add a little extra Power Defense that is limited to protecting that power alone (probably a -2).

Doubling maximum effect for Absorption is a +1/4, so halving the overall amount that can be absorbed definitely wouldn't be more than -1/4. However, I'd put it at even less if it's sort of a pool that can be shared with the other Absorption power. So probably -0.

EDIT: Wait a minute. No. If they are adjusting the same set of powers, it's a "pool" anyway, because of the way Adjustment Powers work. If one of the Absorption Powers boosts a power by 16 points and both have a maximum of 32 points, the other can't boost more than another 16 before the first one Fades.

And yes' date=' the Power Defense does apply against Aids - basically, his body rebuilds itself and expands rapidly, even returning to normal from an enhanced state.[/quote']

I'd agree it's limiting. Whether -1/2 is the right level depends on how common positive adjustment powers are, but it seems reasonable.

However' date=' the Power Defense only applies to physical drains and such - a drain vs., say, Protogenetic powers (basically, any power in my campaign setting that derives from genetics) would, as stated, be bad news for him. For some reason, it stripped off the limitations when I converted, or maybe I just hadn't ever added it on, but that was the intention.[/quote']

If it doesn't stop the Unified Power impact (so he loses 10 power defense from each adjustment as well), then it shouldn't make that limitation any less valid. But I think it's important to recall that Unified Power doesn't mean the powers are all affected by any adjustment power which targets the character's special effects. It means absolutely every adjustment power which reduces one of the powers reduces all the rest as well. So a Psionic Enhancer Field that Suppresses mental defense will also suppress all of this character's Unified Powers. If the powers are not so tightly linked that such an effect would be logical, then Unified Power is not appropriate. In that case, perhaps a Complication that any negative adjustment power that targets protogenetic powers affects all of his protogenetic powers may be the way to go. APG might be a good resource to classify this as a Vulnerability, as I think on it.

So I need to strip off the inherent' date=' got it. The intent there was that it could not be prevented or drained in any fashion, not that it couldn't be adjusted upwards (as the Absorb enhances his regen.) Maybe change the Inherent to Difficult to Dispel?[/quote']

You could just remove "Unified Power" from the Regeneration. If it can't be drained or prevented, then it isn't subject to the impact of Unified Power. I don't believe Inherent precludes upward adjustment (although the upward adjustment would be subject to downward adjustment, not being itself inherent).

Well, it could be a limitation to Mental Defense if it blocks friendly Mind Link, but it's probably not worth -1/2. I'd say -0 unless allies with beneficial mental powers (which are blocked by Mental Defense) are common.

It would stop... Mind Links, being located by Mind Scan if you are lost, friendly mentalists undoing other Mental Powers active on you... might stop some beneficial powers that have AVAD/ACV to toolkit them into being mental powers (say... an Aid usable through a Mind Link)...

Still, I agree that is floating in the -0 to -1/4 category, the latter if there is a mentalist on the team with any said tricks.

It would stop... Mind Links....

Actually the only requirement for Mind Link is that the subject be DMCV 0; it doesn't say anything about Mental Defense. I'd think it would still be reasonable to disallow it, but it's not standard as far as I know.