Vampire: the masquerade style blood pool

feralucce

Re: Vampire: the masquerade style blood pool

First off, I want to agree with everyone saying "use an END reserve", because that's how I would do it (with Increased/decreased END).

Now, I'll also throw out another option: One multipower with recoverable (and some continuous) charges. Different slots can cost different amounts of charges, and you can use slots for things like +10 STR continuing charge lasting 1 hour.

Then have the recovery condition be feeding on someone. You can say how many charges you can gain from feeding one someone, and then hand wave recovery fairly easily (whenever I played vampire, it was more the "Dark superheroes with blood batteries" variant).

Now' date=' I'll also throw out another option: One multipower with recoverable (and some continuous) charges.[/quote']

One of the ways I've been making Charge use consistent lately is to use simple Charges on everything, and instead of using Continuous Charges for things with duration, use the Time Limit Advantage instead. Doesn't work for everything and I'm not entirely sure it is book legal, but it sure simplifies some conversions and Frameworks and such (e.g. fantasy spells that are all based on Charges can always have a simple number of non-Continuous Charges, whether or not they are actually Instant or Constant powers in the end).

One of the ways I've been making Charge use consistent lately is to use simple Charges on everything' date=' and instead of using Continuous Charges for things with duration, use the [i']Time Limit[/i] Advantage instead. Doesn't work for everything and I'm not entirely sure it is book legal, but it sure simplifies some conversions and Frameworks and such (e.g. fantasy spells that are all based on Charges can always have a simple number of non-Continuous Charges, whether or not they are actually Instant or Constant powers in the end).

Just ran into the pertinent section (last paragraph of 6E1 p. 347). Not legal. Bummer. It certainly simplifies things. IMO requiring BOTH Time Limit AND Continuing Charges is pretty dumb. Oh well.

Heh, you're on my territory (sorta.) I have an old project on my back burner on converting the old Werewolf:the Apocalypse material to HERO; I haven't done much to it since the rough basic write-up for the foundations. But one of things that I thought about is the Gnosis/Rage/Willpower system. Ultimately, I settled on a modified Charges system, where each point is one tier of Disadvantage, with scaled costs similar to how the pools are brought. In the end, it made writing up the Gifts/Rites easier, without having to worry excessively about the END costs of each one. (I still want to consider normal END costs, though--we're talking about big, fuzzy beasts that don't tire easily.)

BreedWiki

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with NSG on this one.

I've tried the End Res method in the past. Its orthodox, but its also tedious and cumbersome. It slows play and amounts to obsessive bookkeeping. Unless you want to run dual book accounting hero you want something faster. I would do charges based on drinking blood. You could do 1 body = X charges method with the bite being continuous insofar as the vampire has locked on. Or you could be more abstract and rely more heavily on dramatic sense. I found 1 Body = X Charges method worked very well.

Just my 2 AP.

Huh. Okay. I have no idea how Charges are less work than End' date=' but whatever works and YMMV, of course.[/quote']

You can basically track charges in "check box" fashion as opposed to tracking variable costs, intake, and outtake that don't necessarily round off well and requires a modicum of calculation. I don't mind math, esp. during design time, but I prefer a heavily streamlined run-time experience.

You can basically track charges in "check box" fashion as opposed to tracking variable costs' date=' intake, and outtake that don't necessarily round off well and requires a modicum of calculation. I don't mind math, esp. during design time, but I prefer a heavily streamlined run-time experience.[/quote']

Isn't it easier to just make it a campaign ground rule that you can only use vampire powers X number of times before needing to feed again? Same check boxes. No need to figure out costs based on charges or endurance reserves or anything else.

Isn't it easier to just make it a campaign ground rule that you can only use vampire powers X number of times before needing to feed again? Same check boxes. No need to figure out costs based on charges or endurance reserves or anything else.

I'm not sure the methods are materially different.