Attracting players

Nightshade

Okay, so I've moved to Iowa. I'm trying to find a group, so I post on these fair boards, nothing. I look at the local gaming stores, nothing.

What do you guys do to get players? I had this problem in Minnesota, too, although I had attributed that to the fact that I was way out in the country.

Nightshade

Leave little treats out for them, and gradually, over time, leave the treats closer and closer to yourself. Sit quietly and don't make any sudden moves or noises. After a while they will get used to your presence, and become more confident around you. When you've lulled them into a false sense of security, you can quickly clap a box over them and keep them for later use.

There are other methods of attracting players of course, but this one works well for me.

My group has traditionally used the local university game guild as a recruiting pool. Every semester, we go up and run a game for the sole purpose of finding players we like and inviting them into our regular games. Kinda mercenary, but effective.

Extreme short notice but...

Ok this is extremely short notice, BUT there is a convention within easy driving distance from you in Omaha Nebraska and it's THIS WEEKEND. Starts Friday.

Here's the con website: http://www.nuke-con.com

I know there is one person running a 5 session Champs game.

I know there are other Iowans that come to this con, so maybe you'd make some connections.

Bill

PS I'm not affiliated with the con at all, I'll just be attending and GM'ing (minis not RPG)

Re: Attracting players

Originally posted by Nightshade

Okay, so I've moved to Iowa. I'm trying to find a group, so I post on these fair boards, nothing. I look at the local gaming stores, nothing.

What do you guys do to get players? I had this problem in Minnesota, too, although I had attributed that to the fact that I was way out in the country.

Nightshade

You can try asking the members of the Hero System Mailing List (hero-l@sysabend.org, send subscribe to hero-l-request@sysabend.org to join). I don't know if there is anyone there who lives in Iowa, but there might be.

John D.