Hero doesn't have complete control over powers

Tech

(My group is still using 5th edition so I'm using those powers.) Recently, a character was introduced that has cosmic powers but is only recently trying to start using them as a hero. However, she doesn't have complete control over them. This is intended to be used in a humorous way, never to hurt the character. Some examples may be that if the hero tries to blast a villain with an Energy Blast, she may indeed do that - or maybe not. Perhaps her forcefield would activate instead of the energy blast or maybe nothing will happen.

Now, if she tried to protect someone, perhaps a normal, her powers would never mix up in a way that would injure the normal - she wouldn't blast them. Now, it's possible that if she was intending to protect herself with a forcefield from a villain's attack that she may instead fire an energy blast instead but not put up the forcefield. I don't want it to happen frequently, I'm thinking a 13 or less roll for the expected power to function normally.

Another possibility for the character is if she was, oh say walking on a sidewalk and unaware a supervillain blasted at her, her forcefield would activate by itself to protect her. This is only a maybe idea for the character.

Currently, a Multipower with ultra slots are used but I'm not sure about the unexpected result kicking in. Suggestions anyone? I'd really like some help with this.

Re: Hero doesn't have complete control over powers

Sounds like a variant of No Conscious Control. A complex approach would be to:

(a) build the powers normally

(B) then recompute the cost if NCC were applied at the appropriate level assuming it would always apply (probably -1 - character activates a power but does not control its manifestation)

© next, subtract (B) from (a) - this is the cost savings if NCC always applied. Let's say the benefit is 60 points, just to pick a number

(d) apply an activation roll to the value determined at © reflecting the fact that NCC will only apply sometimes. You indicate the power would work normally on a 13-, which is a 16.2% chance of NCC applying. A 16.2% chance arises on a 7-, so let's call that a -2 1/2 limitation (there's probably a value in a book somewhere, but I don't have the books in front of me). That would reduce 60 points to 17 points.

(e) so the character gets to subtract 17 points from the cost of these powers to reflect the possibility they will malfunction.

A less complex approach would be to create a custom limitation based on how often, and how significantly, you expect this will hinder the character. Given the infrequency, and the lack of risk of harm to the character, it sounds like a minor effect, so -1/4.

A third approach would be to take this as a complication - powers sometimes malfunction, infrequent, minor inconvenience.

I can see this becoming very frustrating for the player pretty quickly, though. 1/6 of power uses malfunction, reducing the character's effectiveness pretty significantly. For example, assuming a 5 speed, the character's attack will fail a little less than once per turn, so probably at least once in every combat. Maybe that's OK - if the limitation is frustrating, there will be a motivation to buy it down/off over time, which appropriately reflects the character gaining experience with, and control over, her powers. However, striking a line between making the down side sufficient to justify the point savings and making the character a joke, frustrating the player, could be tough.

I would probably do a complication as well, as either a physical or psych limitation (depending on if I can 'focus' and make the powers work with an ego roll), or maybe even a 'Berserk' if the powers instead just go weird for a period of time.

'Limited Control' or something of it's like is -1/4 modified under Teen Heroes I think, but I can't recall the exact reference.

Powers activating on their own, though, in a beneficial way could be a SFX of danger-sense or triggered precognition? If it happens every time, just make a triggered or persistent version of the power.

I agree that this one is best done as a Complication. It's not really enough to qualify for a -1/4 limitation, since powers just not working except on a 13- roll is -1/4, so powers doing something useful but not what was desired except on a 13- is not sufficiently limiting.

I supose you could take Unluck/Luck only to add humorous power effects...? or something like that....Or buy powers in a unpredictable form....E-atk 5D6 +6D6 RSR amount is +1D6/ point of sucess...(ie make Power roll by 5 add 5D6?)

Buy FF Always on/Persistant Invis power effect Activation SFX "It turns it's self on!"...etc?

I did this with a character in the form of a beserk type disad / complication. However, I really like the elegance of pinecone's unluck version. Either way, I would stick to the disad / complication method and work with the GM to provide the right level of color for the campaign that you want.