Thundarr the Barbarian on DVD

gojira

Re: Thundarr the Barbarian on DVD

Strange aeons ago, just for the fun of it, I wasted a few minutes on a background for the herculoids. If anyone wants an idea to take and use, here it goes:

Zandor was a brilliant scientist who was not evil himself, per se', but indifferent to the use his creations were put to by the evil warlord he worked for. He created weapons and other destructive things for his warlord to use without any real idea as to the suffering they caused.

Tara was a member of a race the warlord had conquered and tried to assassinate Zandor, but failed. Zandor's curiosity was piqued by the attempt on his life and asked her why she'd tried to kill him. She told him what his creations had done to her world and people. Looking into it out of idle curiosity, Zandor saw what his work was doing and was for the first time in his life struck with guilt and horror.

Well, his latest creations were prototypes for new types of living weapons, the herculoids. He used them in a surprise betrayal of his warlord, destroyed his base, rescued tara from execution and then, knowing that others would always seek his knowledge to make more horrors, considered killing himself and his latest creations, but tara persuaded him to come with her to an uninhabited planet along with his creations, who were alive and intelligent, after all.

Sure, a silly plot, but we're talking about the herculoids here. I think it makes sense if you want an origin story on them.

I would go with the bio-engineered weapon origin for the Herculoids myself (what is Tundro if not a living tank, for example), but I would make Tara the "evil overlord's" assistant. Zandor seems too at home on the jungle planet to have once been a civilized scientist. I'd be more inclined to give him a Tarzan-like origin of being marooned on that planet as a boy. Perhaps the villain brought his latest creations to the jungle planet to test them, or for whatever resource it has that prompts aliens to keep invading it.