HELP! I'm Losing it! (Or - Drains are sapping my strength!)

GoldenAge

Drain is killing me!!!

Okay I’ve run into multiple problems calculating the actual loss of power suffered by the following powers when drained. I tried doing it by calculating DC’s per 6th Ed, but my eyes rolled up into my head and foam spouted from my mouth after just 5 minutes of math.

Can someone PLEASE help?????????

Here are the powers:

• Elastic Flesh: Stretching 32m, 0END (+1/2) (48 Active Points); Limited Body Parts (arms only; -1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Secret Limitation (-2.25)

• Naked Advantage for STR: Penetrating (+1/2) for up to 80 Active Points of STR = 40 AP; 0 END (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4), Secret Limitation (-2.25)

• Big Fists: Area Of Effect (2m radius, +1/4) for up to 70 Active Points of STR = 18 AP; 0 END (+1/2) (26 Active Points); Secret Limitation (-2.25)

• Spike Hand: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (4d6 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+1/2), 0 END (+1/2); (60 Active Points); Secret Limitation (-2.25)

• Barrier: (4m x 4m 1/2m – 8 Body 8 PD/8 ED), Opaque to sight group (+10pts), Non- Anchored (+10), Configurable (+1/4), 0 END (+1/2); (101 Active Points); Feedback (-1), No Range (-1/2), Secret Limitation (-2.25)

• Wrap-up: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (60 Active Points); Feedback (-1), No Range (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Secret Limitation (-2.25); END = 6

•Smother: Energy Blast 4d6, No Normal Defense (defense is Life Support [self-Contained Breathing]; +1), Continuous (+1), 0 END (+1/2); (70 Active Points); No Range (-½), Must Follow Grab Or Entangle (-½), Secret Limitation (-2.25)

• Armor Up: Armor (18 PD/18 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (67 Active Points);Secret Limitation (-2.25)

• Nanite Regen: Regeneration = 3 BODY per Turn, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (60 Active Points); Self Only (-½), Extra Time – 1 Turn (-1 ¼), Secret Limitation (-2.25)

• Bounceback: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power No Effect Against Attacks That Have No Knockback (-1/2), Secret Limitation (-2.25) – PLUS - Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power No Effect Against Attacks That Have No Knockback (-1/2), Secret Limitation (-2.25)

-------

Applying Drain to these complex powers is killing me!!! I hope someone can help and explain to me how its done on each.

Re: HELP! I'm Loosing it! (Or - Drains are sapping my strength!)

You bolded the key. Adjustment powers affect active points. Work out the number of Drained points required to eliminate 1 increment of the ability, and rule that the full number of points must be drained to remove that increment, and recovered to gain it back. So:

Elastic Flesh: Stretching 32m for 48 Active Points = 1.5 AP per 1" Stretching. The target loses 2 meters per 3 points Drained (1 meter for 2 points, a second meter for 1 additional point).

Naked Advantage for up to 80 Active Points of STR for 60 Active Points - 4/3 STR lost for every point drained (so 3 points drained removes Penetrating for 1, 1, 2 points of STR)

Big Fists Area Of Effect for up to 70 Active Points of STR = 26 Active Points; points drained x 70/26 = STR which loses AOE. That one's ugly math. I'd probably round to 2.5 STR losing AoE for every 1 point drained (so 2,3,2,3) if I wanted to make the math simpler (pretty close to 2.69 points more accurately mathed out).

To both of the above, I would also rule that the naked advantages do not change the cost of draining the underlying STR.

Spike Hand: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (60 Active Points) - that's 10 points per DC, so every 10 points drained removes 1 DC. If you want it more granular,remove the ability to add a DC with STR for the five point "half DC's"

Barrier: (4m x 4m 1/2m – 8 Body 8 PD/8 ED) (101 AP), Tougher one since it buys many variables. It has 8 BOD, 8 PD and 8 ED for a total of 24 "things" for 101 AP. Every 4.21 Drained should remove one attribute, so let's say 4.25 points to drain one attribute and establish a rotation- maybe 1 BOD, then 1 PD, then 1 ED (lose 1 at 5 Drained, a second at 9, a third at 13 and a fourth at 17). If you consider Barrier a defensive power, the Drain effect is halved, so it takes 8.5 points to Drain a single attribute (9 Drains 1 and another 8 drains a second)

Wrap-up: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (60 Active Points) = 12 DC's. Every 5 points Drains a DC. Establish a rule for whether DEF or BOD is drained first. [No defensive power issue here as Entangle is an attack, despite the fact the actual entangle has defenses).

Smother: Energy Blast 4d6, (70 Active Points) so Draining 1/2d6 requires draining 8.75 points (9 Drain subtracts 1/2d6; total of 18 to drain 1d6; total of 27 to drain 1 1/2d6; total of 35 Drains 2d6).

Armor Up: Armor (18 PD/18 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (67 Active Points) so 1 PD and 1 ED Drained per about 3.75 points drained (actually 7.5 since this is a defensive power). You can establish a PD/ED rotation, so maybe 4 Drained removes a PD, the next 4 removes an ED, the next 4 removes a PD and the next 3 removes an ED (every 15 points Drained removes 7.5 AP which removes 2 PD and 2 ED.

Nanite Regen: Regeneration = 3 BODY per Turn, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (60 Active Points) so every 20 Drained removes 1 BOD per time increment of Regen.

Bounceback: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points);PLUS - Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Low increments make this one a bit of a pain. I'd say 15 AP drained drops the Reduction to 25% and the next 15 eliminates it (treating Energy and Physical as separate independent powers). Alternatively, if you don't mind the in-game math, every 3 points Drained drops the Reduction by 5%, so Draining 3 points Energy Damage Reduction reduces it to 45%.

Advance preparation is important - if you know you'll use adjustment powers a lot, maybe you build a chart for every power to show its reduced maximum at various levels of points drained. If you don't use them often enough to justify that, chart out the relevant powers before the game where they will potentially be Drained.