An idea for a multi-purpose device

Shadow Hawk

How do you write up a sonic screwdriver? Or The Utility Belt?

It occurred to me that a 10pt power pool, that could be changed into anything instantly would only cost a total of 25pts. Make it on a OIF: Belt, and it's only 20 points.

And it would cover pretty much any small, useful power you could name. Put the name of your hero in front of each device, and you've got...

Foxbat-scuba mask (Life Support, doesn't need to breathe)

or

Foxbat-Sunglasses (Flash defense)

or

Foxbat-Flashlight (change enviorment)

or

Foxbat-parachute (gliding)

or

Foxbat-lockpick (1/2d6 HKA, 1d6+1 with Str)

or

Foxbat-Brassknuckles (+2d6 HA)

or

Foxbat-makeup (1d6 aid Charisma)

or

Foxbat-medkit (1d6 aid body)

or

Foxbat-skateboard (+5" running)

or...

Useful? Waste of points? Thoughts, ideas?

Re: An idea for a multi-purpose device

Yup, I like the following

15 Pool

30 Control (30 AP), Cosmic (+2) Requires Foci (-1/4), must predecide load (10 Items, -1/4)

---

45 Total

It's a bit more expensive, but it covers 90% of my avenger type characters gadgets, I have been known to increase the pool, including his armor and other gear. AMazing how few powers my avengers use that are less than 30 AP per power...

Yup, I like the following

15 Pool

30 Control (30 AP), Cosmic (+2) Requires Foci (-1/4), must predecide load (10 Items, -1/4)

---

45 Total

It's a bit more expensive, but it covers 90% of my avenger type characters gadgets, I have been known to increase the pool, including his armor and other gear. AMazing how few powers my avengers use that are less than 30 AP per power...

W000t!!? a Cosmic gadget pool?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, sorry I droped the ball

The cosmic makes it MP like. Basically you would predetermine what 10 gadgets you can use, then you can switch back and forth between them at will (Per cosmic). To change what the 10 gadgets are that you are carrying on you, you would need to go to a change spot (A base, a vehicle perhaps, Wal-mart, Whatever).

It is easier to imagine from the characters POV (Parenthesis will describe the game rule)

Dark Avenger has a utility belt, each item on the belt has a real cost of 15 or less (The pool), and and Active Cost of 30 or less (Control cost). His belt has 10 pouches (The -1/4 limitation). At his base he can decide what 10 gadgets he will put in his belt. When he goes into the field nothing stops him from changing items that he has on him with others (Cosmic). To change what is in his belt he would have to go back to his base, or maybe his car or even a sporting good store, depending on what he is replacing it with.

W000t!!? a Cosmic gadget pool?

From an old related thread:

Cosmic is just a combination of "No Skill Roll Required" and "Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action" and has nothing to do with limiting the variety of slots.

The problem with "Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance" is that it is limiting the distribution of pool points between ANY slots but the intended special effect we are talking about should not limit Batman from changing his 'common Utility Belt 'kit' from a 'batarang' to a 'bat gas pellet'.

The best example I can think of to illustrate this is the animated Batman Superman crossover "World's Finest". In it, Batman ends up being chased by a Luthorcorp robot. Because it uses cutting edge military tech it is tougher (higher defenses) than any weapons in Batman's 'standard array of Utility Items. The robot is only stopped when Superman finally arrives. Later in the story Superman and Batman encounter several more bigger and more powerful versions of the earlier robot. Batman is now using what appears to be several different electricity based items vs. these robots to great effect. Superman even comments on this and Batman replies with something like "It's good to be prepared".

For what it's worth though, I agree that the proposed Limitation should be worth no more than (-1/4) and only on the Control Cost of the VPP.