Large Scale Combats

BLHarrison

Re: Large Scale Combats

We used them last night in our WWII game. But it ended up being "The Germans (already scattered) make a morale roll' date=' at -4, fail, and are routed."[/quote']

Did you use the same scale as in the book? And I assume the units had several attacks to represent for example the regular infantry and the machine gun in a squad

I guess in some way the Kingdom rules are more detailed...if you get past how much of an abstraction and subjective stat STR et al are...dunno' date=' haven't ever played it out, so you may be right.[/quote']

There is large scale and LARGE SCALE. If the smallest unit was a regiment/brigade/division then I think kingdom rules would work OK. But the reason I'm asking is for situations where the base unit would be squad/platoon or (maybe) company size

I used the Kingdom Rules to simulate Gang Warfare in Hudson City - scaled down really nicely. If I can use it to simulate a group of 2-3 "gangers with gats" at a time' date=' it can do Platoons.[/quote']

Hmmm did you use it for abstract or did the units actually manuver? And if so what scale did you use?

Did you use the same scale as in the book? And I assume the units had several attacks to represent for example the regular infantry and the machine gun in a squad

I think it was a quick simplification on the part of the player and the GM. We had just listened to another player's hour-plus long side mission where he had to be the star of the show and infiltrate the Nazi headquarters only to get captured. While this was happening, we did our rolls for the bombs and mines we were planting as a diversion (and to get rid of the tanks, for several obvious reasons.) So we blow up the tanks, this puts the Nazis in the "scattered" situation, then the French Resistance attacks. GM did not have all the units broke up, but they reviewed the rules, and decided the Morale roll was the first thing that should occur. It just ended up being the last thing to occur as well. :D

I think it was a quick simplification on the part of the player and the GM. We had just listened to another player's hour-plus long side mission where he had to be the star of the show and infiltrate the Nazi headquarters only to get captured. While this was happening' date=' we did our rolls for the bombs and mines we were planting as a diversion (and to get rid of the tanks, for several obvious reasons.) So we blow up the tanks, this puts the Nazis in the "scattered" situation, then the French Resistance attacks. GM did not have all the units broke up, but they reviewed the rules, and decided the Morale roll was the first thing that should occur. It just ended up being the last thing to occur as well. :D[/quote']

Yep people forget how much moral can effect people in combat. Remember Han Solo (initally) chasing a whole lot of Stormtroopers in the original Star Wars? Perfect example, at least until someone made thier "rally" roll.

Well, IIRC it's been stated that Hero is designed to run reasonably well with up to about 2-3 dozen combatants, which would translate in a mass combat system to 2-3 dozen units. I guess if one was working with a truly massive combat, the abstraction of the Kingdom rules might be more apropos...or, I suppose, one could even hybridize it, using one mass combat to simulate the general tenor of the more grandscale combat, and using it to help determine the outcome of the kingdom-scale combat.

I use the kingdom rules for general maneuvering of units, on a map, then switch to the mass combat rules to resolve the actual battle as a wargame. It works out pretty well since mission objectives for both sides can be really in depth like having a team steal data from a lab while a battle is taking place as a distraction with the main forces.