How To Build: Unwanted Familiar

Naanomi

I have a player who has a character with a... lets say 'wizards familiar'. Immortal, unkillable (at least as far as anything normal is concerned) but... pesky, curious, and conspicuous. It is definitely a bad thing, in complication territory, but what complication?

I was thinking either DNPC (maybe... 'slightly less powerful, very frequently'), or Unluck defined as the antics of the familiar. which fits better?

Also, do you think a 'Distinctive Appearance' is in order for a winged imp-thing constantly sneaking around a character trying to keep a secret identity? Like... Noticeable by common senses, concealable?

Re: How To Build: Unwanted Familiar

It could be any of them or all three. I guess it would depend on exactly what this familiar will do, and look like.

If the familiar is a rat-like creature and many wizards in the game world have rat familiars distinctive feature probably doesn't apply, but if it resembles a pastel colored fairy winged pseudo dragon and no body else has one... then it might if the dragon is always around.

If the familiar actively tries to hinder the character bad luck might be appropriate, and if the character has some sort of obligation to care for the familiar DNPC could be appropriate as well.

Obviously this all needs to be weighed against any useful abilities the familiar might have.

I wouldn't call it a DNPC, because it sounds like the wizard has no interest whatsoever in its well-being and wouldn't care if it was destroyed.

The Master List of Limitations has a social limitation called 'Biggest Fan' that seems similar in some ways; you have someone constantly hanging around who tends to get you into trouble.

The Setting: Modern Superheros, magic is an uncommon but known power source for supers.

The Character: many of her powers involve summoning 'shadelings', small shadow elementals that look like tiny (1' or less) pitch black winged demons with glowing eyes. The shadelings have no self-preservation instinct and indeed cannot be permanently damaged on this plane of existence.

While the character can command Shadelings with her powers, there are also a fair number just sort of... hanging around her. They obey her, but without direct instructions are just a nuicance. They are curious, getting into things or getting in the way. They are also mischievous, enjoying pranks and minor cruelty (pull the cat's tail level stuff), and have little understanding of earth or the character's motivations (wouldn't understand 'trying to be stealthy' or something). These 'stray shadelings' are not useful in any meaningful capacity (beyond those uses already defined by powers).

For obstructing stealth / moving things around, I think a minor Physical Complication would work.

For being noticeable, Distinctive Features would do it.

And if the Shadelings freak people out, annoy them, or otherwise cause trouble in that regard, a Social Complication as well.

Given that the Shadelings are in no danger on this plane and wouldn't need rescuing, I don't think DNPC is particularly suited.