Aahhhhhhh!!!...Oh wait, I'm fine...

Dust Raven

Being board at work, I worked up the following:

Fall Safely From Any Height: Gliding 30", Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Only To Move Down (-1/2), Must Accelerate Wtih Gravity (-0), Must Continue Moving Until Stopped (-1/4), Only To Make Half Moves (-1/4), No Non-Combat Movement (-1/4) (total cost: 16 points) plus SPD +8 (80 Active Points); Only To Make Half Moves With Gliding (-2) (total cost: 27 points). Total Cost: 43 points.

Basically it allows the character to maintain his full OCV & DCV, and to make attacks (or other Half Phase Action), while falling. Then it allows the character to land, without slowing down, without taking any damage. The character can still make acrobatics to break/stop his fall by grabbing into flagpoles and awning or whatever normally, but won't take any damage from it, nor have any change of breaking the object. Of course, he can still perform Move Throughs, Move Bys and Grab Bys with normal damage and effects figured from a velocity of 30".

It works by increasing the character's SPD to 12, so he can make a Half Move every Segment. Movement downward is effectively doubled, so a Half Move down with 30" is 30", which is terminal velocity for falling characters. The cost above is for a character with a normal SPD of 4. A higher SPD character will save a few points, of course.

So, whaddiyall think?

Ahh, this is truely amazing. After watching countless movies where the hero leaps from say a perch on a gothic building to the street below, I have often wondered how to simulate that in hero system.

But alas, I have never taken the time.

In past games that allowed powers I had always bought a hex of flight or more and then saved an action if I ever had to jump of a similar perch.

Well, that is it for me. I'll let the others pick away at your math.

=D

Originally posted by JmOz

Interesting, but the math is slightly off, as a character can use gravity to help him increase his speed (It's the counter to the 1/2 going up)

What is slightly off about the math? For every inch you move down, you get a free inch of movement, so 30" equals 60". Since you are only making a half move you move 30".

I would change Must Continue Moving Until Stopped into Beam, change Only To Make Half Moves into "Limited by Terminal Velocity (-1/4)", and forget the +8 Speed. Instead of extra Speed, you could increase the amount of Gliding if you really wanted to, but in any case just deal out the movement Segment-wise as the GM. Incidentally, I wouldn't say the power, as bought, would necessarily eliminate the falling damage. At most, it turns it into only the damage from a 0 Str Move Through (see the FAQ for damage from hitting obstacles).

How about just using Teleportation with the Adder/Advantage (I forget which--if it is an Advantage, I would impose a minimum power cost) that overcomes relative movement, and a Trigger for "just before character hits ground/obstacle?" You could probably also throw in some major Limitations because the Teleportation is only usable for falling.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

What is slightly off about the math? For every inch you move down, you get a free inch of movement, so 30" equals 60". Since you are only making a half move you move 30".

Umm the fact that I did not consider the half movement and was thinking full movement...carry on :)

Originally posted by pinecone

Hmmm...Teleport:No relative velocity:Only to places you can jump to:Extra time takes normal amount of time to fall/Leap.....

I was thinking more like "Teleport: 1 hex, No Relative Velocity", and only have it happen as you are about to hit/grab on to something, etc. (Trigger). That way you still fall normally; it is just the end result you are influencing.

Originally posted by prestidigitator

I would change Must Continue Moving Until Stopped into Beam, change Only To Make Half Moves into "Limited by Terminal Velocity (-1/4)", and forget the +8 Speed. Instead of extra Speed, you could increase the amount of Gliding if you really wanted to, but in any case just deal out the movement Segment-wise as the GM. Incidentally, I wouldn't say the power, as bought, would necessarily eliminate the falling damage. At most, it turns it into only the damage from a 0 Str Move Through (see the FAQ for damage from hitting obstacles).

The Combat Acc/Dec takes care of the total velocity problem. Effectively, you'd be making a 0 STR, 0 velocity move through on the ground. It allows you to instantly stop from full Combat Speed.

How about just using Teleportation with the Adder/Advantage (I forget which--if it is an Advantage, I would impose a minimum power cost) that overcomes relative movement, and a Trigger for "just before character hits ground/obstacle?" You could probably also throw in some major Limitations because the Teleportation is only usable for falling.

The Teleportion method is simpler and much much cheaper, but it doesn't allow the falling character to maintain his full DCV while falling.

Yeah I was thinking with a relativly long range "Leaping Teleport" power you could TP a few hexes down attack,TP a few hexes down (restarting you falling velocity) and if you can reach the ground in one "hop" does that mean you are effectivly unhittable? After all normally a TP is uninterptable between locations, though with all the wacky lims maybe not?????...?

Originally posted by Dust Raven

The Teleportion method is simpler and much much cheaper, but it doesn't allow the falling character to maintain his full DCV while falling.

I'll have to look at the rulebook. Does a character necessarily lose DCV while falling? (S)he isn't technically moving at non-combat velocity, since it isn't under his/her own power. If the character doesn't have to worry about what happens when (s)he hits, I'd probably think they could concentrate on warding off attacks and maneuvering (as skydivers do) for full DCV while they fall--maybe a Breakfall or Acrobatics roll to maintain full DCV? In any case, I'd be more inclined to say buy heavily limited DCV CSLs to negate the penalties.

Originally posted by Farkling

+30" Superleap. Requies Breakfall Roll. Only to decelerate on impact with ground

I believe the problem with this is that Leaping technically reduces the effective distance you fall, not the velocity or damage. I guess you could say that the effective distance doesn't increase once you hit terminal velocity, though.